12/4 Henry AMPS 173 + 2 148 + 3 207 +5.5 162 PMPS 135 +2 99 +3 92 +4 85 +5.5 90

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Golf2015, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Golf2015

Golf2015 Well-Known Member

Today's BG numbers will be from the Nova Max Plus Human Meter

Previous Thread

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  2. Golf2015

Henry's BG Reading at PMPS +11 (185) from Nova Max Plus Human Meter

AMPS Reading (173)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  3. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Sounds good. I like human meters - so much easier for the rest of us to figure out the numbers.

You may want to put a big colored line in your SS indicating that you've switched to a human meter - otherwise that red line at the top says you're using the AT2 meter. Also change your signature to reflect same updated info :)

Have a good day Robert.

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  4. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Robert, great AMPS!

If you will give me edit access to your SS, I can make the changes required to switch from Pet to Human Meter.

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  5. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Nice to see Henry in blue again today!:cool:
    Have a good day, Robert.

6. Golf2015

Henry's threw up most of his 6:00am EST meal just minutes which is his AMPS + 2 (8:00am EST)
    So we just fed him 44 calories of a food that he holds down.

7. Bandit's Mom

Hairball? Scarf and barf?
    Were you able to get a +2 ?

8. Golf2015

Just a barf yes his BG reading at that moment is (148) - AMPS + 2

9. Bandit's Mom

And he has been fed some LC at +2?

10. Golf2015

Yes he has been fed a different LC food @ AMPS + 2

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  11. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Nice start with the Human meter.
    Looks like an active cycle, with that drop at +2,
    If he hadn't puked I would have gone for a check at +4, but might be wiser to check at +3, just thinking if he has less carbs on board, you might see the numbers drop faster, if he is dipping at +3 then give him some more LC unless the numbers dictate something stronger.

Sorry about the puke, did he it his breakfast very quickly? or has he got a sensitive tum?

12. Golf2015

More likely he got sensitive it's happen in the past

Gill & George likes this.
  13. Golf2015

Henry's AMPS +3 is 207

Food spike?

He ate 44 calories of (10% carb) at AMPS +2

14. Bandit's Mom

Could also be bouncing after that long string of blues and green. Since he isn't dropping, I think you can wait a couple of hours to grab the next test to confirm. His nadir seems to be +4, anyway.

You can save the 10% carbs for when he sees a big drop at +1/+2.

15. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Robert

Sometimes we get into the weeds with FD and we focus on current numbers. But take a quick “spin” through his SS but scrolling down from the top and look at the great progress he’s made. That is because you and your wife have done this...you’ve listened and learned, asked questions, taken suggestions. We can make lots of suggestions here but if the CG is not willing to take them or implement them, then the cat’s progress is not the same. But you all have done this for Henry.

Yes...he might get bouncy and he might need a bit more insulin at some point but take a moment to congratulate yourselves on his progress.

16. Golf2015

Thanks Marje could have not done this without you and the others

Thanks Again

17. Marje and Gracie

That is what we are all here for!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  18. Golf2015

Thank You Sue you too

19. Golf2015

Thank You Lyla you too

20. Golf2015

Henry's PMPS BG reading (135)

21. Golf2015

Henry's PMPS + 2 (99)

22. Bandit's Mom

Nice! Human meter, so 99 is higher than on a pet meter. Maybe a little LC snack to keep him surfing?

23. Golf2015

We just fed Henry (2) tsps of LC (2% carb) food

24. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Awesome, two days in a row with greens! :D That's super progress. His body is starting to get used to these numbers.

25. Golf2015

Now if Henry drops below 90 this would mean a 0.25 unit reduction at AMPS in the morning?
    Just preparing if this event happens

26. Wendy&Neko

Correct on the reduction. Might want to get a +3 to see what he's up to.

Christie & Maverick likes this.
  27. Golf2015

OK will do +3 and will post results

28. Golf2015

Henry's PMPS +3 (92)

29. Wendy&Neko

Looks like a fantastic flat surf. Maybe a tsp or two of LC will encourage him to spend time in these healing numbers.

30. Golf2015

OK Wendy I will give 2 (tsps) of LC (2% carb) and check + 4

Wendy I understand about the pancreas healing numbers which is the objective does this healing sometimes lead to remission

I know once a diabetic your always diabetic but could have bouts of remission

31. Bandit's Mom

How goes the transition to 100% wet food?

32. Golf2015

100% wet now

33. Bandit's Mom

That's great. Is TR something you'd like to consider? You test enough for TR. With TR, Henry can stay on a dose that allows him to spend time in healing greens (50-99). It also provides for faster dose changes when the numbers require it.

34. Golf2015

Henry's BG +4 (85)

We just fed Henry (1) tsps of LC (2% carb) food

At PMPS +5.5 (11:30pm EST) Henry will receive his schedule (80) calories LC Diet, 75 minutes from now

Henry earned a reduction of 0.25 units meaning tomorrow at AMPS (6:00am EST) His dosage will drop to 4.00 from 4.25

Anybody correct me if I'm wrong

35. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Congrats on the reducie ;), you are correct, 4u tomorrow. He's got a nice surf going :cool::D

36. Marje and Gracie

Absolutely but the best, first goal is regulation and then tight regulation. From there, remission may well occur. Some cats stay in remission; I’ve seen others go back and forth many times.

If he is now on 100% wet, you can start TR as long as you understand that means no more dry food. That means you could choose to not reduce at this time but wait for a drop below 50. It’s your decision; you can also stick with SLGS a little longer and take the reduction in the morning.

The upside to switching now to TR is he will have longer at a dose that is working well for him.

37. Golf2015

Marje

Henry is getting poke a lot? Can TR deliver less testing because this testing limits life of an individual? I want the BEST for Henry I really do but I do not leave the house because of these incremental tests.

38. Marje and Gracie

TR may require more testing. That is often true if the kitty is bouncing because you never know for certain when the bounce is breaking until it does.

It just depends on Henry. Some cats’ liver just “snaps” and they flatten out in great numbers, are pretty stable and predictable, and gradually earn reductions. These cats often may not require a ton of tests unless they start running lower as they approach a dose reduction. But, other cats, like my Gracie, can be a bit unpredictable even if they aren’t bouncing and so they need more testing to stay safe.

I’m not sure what you mean by “because this testing limits life of an individual”. Testing is what keeps them safe.

Well....for many of us, our lives become more restricted with a diabetic cat. But, IMHO, and please reach out for others, I strongly believe TR is the best option to keep cats out of strings of higher numbers because you can increase the dose faster than SLGS.

39. Golf2015

Now if TR was in play tonight and when you look at Henry spreadsheet numbers of tonight as Henry was approaching the 90 threshold ==> The tsps of LC food that I fed Henry during those intervals would have not been necessary because of the 50 threshold???

40. Marje and Gracie

Not necessarily because giving that little bit of LC can allow him to just surf there. The longer you can hold onto a dose safely, the better.

41. Golf2015

The reason I asked this question could I have left the house during the intervals and check Henry @ the +5.5 which is one of the (4) checks I do routinely

42. Bandit's Mom

Right now Henry is new to low numbers and you don't have enough data on how he behaves. So irrespective of whether it is SLGS or TR, it would be advisable to test more to keep him safe.

43. Bandit's Mom

The normal numbers for a cat are 50-99 on a human meter. TR allows you to keep Henry at a dose that allows him to spend time in those numbers. That increases the potential for remission. That does not mean that TR ensures remission or that remission is not possible with SLGS.

With SLGS, you reduce the dose when numbers fall below 90 - the goal is regulation/safety rather than tight regulation/remission. And if you take a reduction and it fails - you still have to hold the reduced dose for 7 days - which means more time at a higher dose than Henry needs. With TR, if a reduction fails, you can go back up to the last good dose in 6 cycles.

Henry is responding well to lower numbers. Hopefully he will flatten out and become more predictable and will require less testing. One can hope!

44. Golf2015

OK

So as I acquire more data this will help free up me to get things done outside the home
    I'm going to bed right now I can not think clearly I'm exhausted

45. Marje and Gracie

I would not leave the house with a +2 below the PS. Certainly, once he was stable at +5.5, you could have left until PMPS.

But, because ECID, you’ll have to learn Henry’s patterns as you get more data. That might give you more freedom if he’s one of those that stays flat and stable. Sometimes, if members have to leave, they leave HC food out knowing the BG will rise. That’s not something I ever did but it does work for some.

Yes, I know this only too well. You have to grab sleep when you can. We got quite good at sleep testing and I tried to at least get 1.5 hours in at a time if at all possible.

46. Golf2015

I never have been good at taking naps very difficult for me

47. Golf2015

We have (3) other cats in the household

48. Marje and Gracie

I know you need sleep but I would just be sure he’s headed up before you stop testing. Can your wife grab a test so you can sleep?

49. Bandit's Mom

Marje, he is 90 @ +5.5. So not dropping any more. And Robert has fed him his last meal at +5.5.

50. Golf2015

This is something you guys are not aware of ==> Henry requires (2) people to perform a test he's is just big very strong
    There will never be a moment of doing a test on Henry by yourself
    These test have been performed with my wife and I
    Do not get me wrong he does not struggle when we do the test but for one of us to do the test, he physically very strong Henry is the size of a medium size dog.

51. Golf2015

Henry is 36 inches long from nose to the end of his tail

52. Bandit's Mom

WOW!