12/31 Bear Man vet update (long)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Linda and Bear Man, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=439

Follow up from the Methimazole fiasco:
    The vet e-mailed to apologize for the dosing error. I expressed concern about the effects on his kidneys and bone marrow, and she offered to run a geriatric blood panel at no charge. I took him in this morning for the blood draw. She will have the results e-mailed to her home, and forward them to me tomorrow. She apologized again today for the error.

I had e-mailed her the circling video (http://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv10 ... =015-2.flv). She examined his ears thoroughly today and found no abnormalities. She did a brief neuro exam on his head (checking reflexes, eye movement, etc) and found no abnormalities. I will try to video tape his unusual head/eye movement/nystagmus. She doesn't think the circling is due to a brain lesion or vestibular problem, and she cited her list of reasons, but she is very willing to refer me to a neurologist if I want to pursue that. She feels there may be some cognitive impairment involved, as the problem is intermittent, and exacerbated by agitation, and suggested we try giving sam-e.

She researched interaction between Omprazole and Methimazole, and came up with one article saying that Omeprazole can cause bone marrow suppression, and that other bone marrow suppressing drugs like Methimazole can enhance that effect. She has posted a query on her veterinary board to a board certified veterinary pharmacologist, and also tried calling one at University of Guelph, but they are closed for the holidays.

In summary, I think she has been very conscientious about doing whatever she can to rectify the situation, and I am hoping that his blood results will put my mind at ease.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It really sounds like your vet is trying to make this right. I hope the blood work does put your mind at ease.

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

good news. i am so glad to hear your vet is taking care of this and understands your concerns

4. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

((Linda)) thank you for updating us, ((hugs)) for Bear Man

I hope and wish for your both a healthy and happy New Year.

5. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Im really glad your vet was understanding and not defensive. That they accept the mistake and are trying to make amends. It does sound like she is doing everything she can from this point. That has to be somewhat comforting.

So i was looking at your ss...now Im wondering...what time in relation to the insulin are you giving the pred?

I hope you and your crew have a very good ny eve - maybe some r&r tonight or tomorrow? And more hopes for a year with good health for all of you.

PS- Pat is having a big party for all the cats tonight. Maybe that would help brighten the mood if you were all able to join! :mrgreen:

6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Linda,
    It does sound like your vet is taking responsibility and trying to do the right thing. I all blood test results put your mind at ease.
    Wishing you and Bear Man, and Teddy, and Pinkerton, and Emily, and the rest of your family, a good and healthy New Year.
    Did I get the names right?

7. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Sounds like you have a good vet, at least they are willing to work to correct the mistake and make sure Bear is ok.

I'm impressed by Dyana's memory!

8. Heather and Jasper

Heather and Jasper Member

I'm glad they are running the panel at no charge.

Happy New year Linda and Bear!

9. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Recap

amps 232
    pmps 94
    +1 97
    +2 108

Teddy is in charge while I go out to babysit my niece and nephew. Happy New Year, everyone.

10. skippy and birten

skippy and birten Member

It looks like your vet is doing her very best. I hope that it is really nothing but could not believe seeing his video...sending you positive vibes and good news!

11. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

Happy New Year, Linda!

You've always had (I've thought) a great working relationship with your vet, and it is very nice to hear that she is running the panel and staying on top of things as usual. Hopefully that will put your mind at ease a bit.

Sending Bear Man and the rest of your beautiful furries healthy, happy, and healing vines for 2010. :)

12. Shelly and Scar

Shelly and Scar Member

Sending vines and snowflakes for Bear man. Hope Teddy did a good job holding down the fort!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.