12/26 Tibby AMPS 134 Low again

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amy&Tibby, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Amy&Tibby

Amy&Tibby Member

2. Amy&Tibby

Amy&Tibby Member

OK, I stalled for 20 minutes, and then his BG was 152. I fed him and gave him a full dose. I'll check again at +1 and +2?

And I apparently need to get more overnight data. I may need to decrease his dose again. I'll do that tonight.

3. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Just saw this. Great job shooting progressively lower numbers. It does look like he is going low in the second half of the PM cycle.

4. Amy&Tibby

Amy&Tibby Member

THanks! I'm on break this week so it should be easier to get overnight data. I'll just need to get him back on my work schedule later after these stalls.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  5. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I'm happy to see these lower numbers! Great job on shooting. Just remember that unless Tibby goes below 90 (on SLGS) you should not reduce the dose. You're just now hitting some great numbers! This is what we all dream of - that turning point when kitty starts to see those nice blues and hopefully some greens too!

I've just seen your new post that you're home this week! Would you consider doing TR this week? It would open the 'window' of not reducing until Tibby goes below 50 - that would give you a little more wiggle room and hence keep the effective dose going for as long as possible.

I hope you'll consider it! Unless there's dry food or other extenuating circumstances, this may be your big chance to get Tibby into the lagoon!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  6. Amy&Tibby

Amy&Tibby Member

He does eat a little Dr Elsey's chicken every day. It's not his main food, but a little put out for grazing. I'm not sure I get the TR, but it seems I need to be checking at +3, +6, and +9 as well as the PS numbers? Is that only during the day or night, not both?

7. Sue and Luci

Well, generally it's about what you've described as far as testing - the important difference is the range of acceptable numbers as far as when you should reduce - that being 50 on a human meter for TR cats vs 90 on a human meter for SLGS.

SLGS is just more conservative and is often used by caregivers who aren't home enough to watch for those lower numbers and/or dry food is the main menu item.

If you're going to be home this week, it's a great opportunity to NOT reduce at 90 - but watch a bit more carefully to see if continuing the dose that's just now appearing to work - will do the trick and take Tibby down to the lagoon. Once in the lagoon, you will want to test a bit more just to be on the safe side - as the thing you're watching for is that magic number of 'below 50' indicating that indeed a reduction has been earned...

Take a look at some of the other SS's to see what others are doing in similar situations.

8. Amy&Tibby

Amy&Tibby Member

I'll give it a shot. I feel like it would be better to do it at night, but I do need to sleep. I'll try to get +10s at night because that may be his overnight nadir, and then do the rest during the day.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  9. Sue and Luci

It's always idea to get at least one test before going to bed. I can certainly understand your need for sleep - so I've set an alarm to get up once in the middle of the night just to check when Luci was indicating that she was on her way - it's a good chance to see how low she's going - and if you need to, get out the medium or even high carb food-just to keep her from dropping any lower - if you can depend on her to eat it. Most kitties love those gravy style Fancy Feast foods...and once you get a handle on how well she responds you'll know which one works best to bring up those numbers at night...might help you get a few more hours of uninterrupted sleep knowing what the impact is of which percentage of carbs - just look it up before hand and mark it on the bottom of your cans - so you won't have to go searching for that info at night.

10. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

If the Dr Elsey is dry food you shouldn’t do TR while he’s having that, for TR there needs to be no dry food in the picture. If you can remove that have a read of the TR protocol in the stickies at the top of the forum. The testing requirements are the PS tests plus at least one additional test every cycle. Whether you need to test more in a particular cycle will depend on what the numbers are. For example if Tibby’s bouncing no need for more tests but if he’s coming down you might need to monitor a bit more closely and if he’s getting into the greens you’d need to monitor closely to make sure he stays in the healthy zone while keeping him above 50.

Amy&Tibby likes this.
  11. Amy&Tibby

Amy&Tibby Member

OK, I'll stop the kibble and try TR, but I will probably be posting daily about it with questions. :). I think the overnight nadir around +9 is crucial based on the little evidence I have so far.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  12. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Posting daily is an excellent idea, people will be able to guide you with the testing and we love questions around here :cat:

Sue and Luci likes this.