12/26 Moe: amps=58; BCS 1.5u; +2=54;+4=75;PMPS=115; +5=138

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Erin and Moe (GA), Dec 26, 2020.

1. Erin and Moe (GA)

Erin and Moe (GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...68-9-87-pmps-89-3-60-pic.240507/#post-2706192

Good morning. I expected a lower than usual amps today so was not surprised to see 58 on the meter. BCS of 1.5 units this morning to drain the depot and I will likely reduce to 3.0 units tonight.

Moe’s arthritis is flaring up, possibly due to the colder than normal weather. He was very cranky yesterday and very stiff. He’s due for his adequan injection tonight, but it doesn’t seem to be helping all that much. I might add in some fish oil and see if that makes him feel more comfortable.

I hope everyone has a good day and kitties are well.

thebigfuzz likes this.
  2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Awww...I'm sorry to hear he's feeling stiff...I can sympathize...got that stuff myself..

That is a nice low number! You're brave to shoot that one, but I'm sure with your experience you've got this under control! It's so great to see an ACRO cat with such beautiful numbers!

Congratulations!! I hope you both had a lovely Christmas day!

Erin and Moe (GA) likes this.
  3. Erin and Moe (GA)

I wavered for a while, deciding whether or what to shoot. I once shot 6.0 units with an amps of 50, but that was when he was still bouncing into the 300s after a low number. I’m less sure these days since he doesn’t get those wild swings anymore.

I’ve plenty of MC and HC food is we need it, and nowhere to go today. o_O

Sue and Luci likes this.
  4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

It can be disconcerting, however the goal is low flat numbers...I would have felt the same...but then the phrase 'shoot low to stay low' pops into my head...Unfortunately I haven't had to use that much lately - Luci rarely gives me those good numbers...but that one will work for you - especially if you can hang around and keep an eye on him. Never know, he might even earn a reducie???

You guys have a good day!

5. Erin and Moe (GA)

6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice job shooting. I hope Moe keeps surfing safely. Sorry his arthritis is bothering him.

7. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Surf safely, Moe :cat: Hope Moe doesn't keep you too busy and hope he gets some relief from his arthritis :bighug: Have a wonderful day, Erin.

8. Erin and Moe (GA)

9. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

congrats on shooting.
    keep working it in the safe zone, moe.

10. Erin and Moe (GA)

11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good plan to reduce tonight, he doesn't really need to be hovering in the 50's. I did the same when Neko hung out there too long.

For the arthritis, there are lots of other things to try yet. Even simple things like bedding. I bought Neko a 4 inch thick memory foam bed (medium dog size on Amazon) and she loved it. Took a lot of pressure off her body. The other thing I've gotten for arthritic cats is a reflective heat pad - of course, the not arthritic ones like it too!

Some people found they had to give Adequan a bit more frequently. Might want to check with the vet if you could revise the schedule. I found Duralactin worked better as an anti inflammatory than fish oil. Of course, you can only give it if there is no sensitivity to dairy or if the calcium numbers are not high. Hyaluronic acid (I used Hyaflex brand) also worth trying, though if his getting Adequan, that's probably enough joint help there. At some point you may have to go to daily pain relief. MSM is a starter options, but eventually Neko needed buprenorphine daily. It made a big difference for her. A lot of acros end up on bupe of gabapentin permanently.