12/24 new to Prozinc question

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jeanie B., Dec 24, 2020.

1. Jeanie B.

Jeanie B. New Member

Hi!
    My cat was diagnosed in Oct and we have struggled to get her regulated on Lantus. She was most recently on a .25u dose of Lantus (3 drops) every 36 hours per the IM vet. However, we did try to supplement with 1 and 2 drops to see if we could get closer to finding a good dose.
    We had a vet appointment on Tuesday and are going to switch to ProZinc, which is supposed to be delivered today. Our vet recommended we start with 1 unit every 12 hours and do a curve on day 1 and day 2. (She is really concerned about hypoglycemia as our kitty did have hypoglycemic episodes and likely Somogyi rebounds on .25u of Lantus.)

What are your thoughts on the 1 unit twice a day as a starting dose? When is the typical nadir for Prozinc? Is there anything else I should be aware of during the conversion?
    Thanks!
    Jeanie

2. Tillie and Valentino

Tillie and Valentino Member

Hi Jeanie,

I'm afraid I'm new here and don't have any recommendations, but my cat was diagnosed in September and is also on Prozinc. My vet started him on 1 unit twice a day. A curve is a great idea. My cat nadirs usually at 5 hours but has been known to do it at 4 or even at 7 or 8. My cat also has acromegaly which might make things even more wonky.

Anyway, I know that lots of Prozinc folks have great advice here, such as @JanetNJ and others.

Best of luck!
    Tillie

Jeanie B. likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Your dosing on the spreadsheet is really confusing to me. I don't understand all the changing in dosing.

Given her history of hypo I would probably start with 0.5 units rather than 1. But unless she goes too low or after a week is too high, hold the dose.

Jeanie B. likes this.