12/20 Checkers AMPS 475

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lukewithcats, Dec 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

Another morning with a large spike in BG. Last night his numbers were good and +4 even better but then this morning sure enough right back up high again. 3rd morning in a row I wake up to a large spike, no idea how he goes up so fast in only 8 hours and the worst part is he seems happier at high numbers, this morning he seemed happier then last night by a fair bit.

Good news is I found some treats that i think are healthy and he loves, funny how taking blood is normally quite the event with him but when treats are involved he suddenly hardly cares. I just need to find some treats that are healthy and can keep him busy for 60-120 seconds, the treats i'm using now are freeze dried chicken breast, i assume they are high in salt as he does have a taste for salty things.

I think i got my signature done but if its not working for people let me know so i can try to fix it.

2. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

Good job on the spreadsheet! That makes it SOO much easier to see exactly what Checkers is doing.
    It looks like the current dose fits him pretty good...that 99 last night is exactly what we want to see. He'll eventually stop bouncing as much and even out.
    Welcome to the best place you never wanted to be. You're doing great.:)

The freeze dried chicken sounds fine, if you read the ingredients it should say 100% chicken. I buy Purebites for Pimp, in the dog size bag. Better value and the bigger chunks keep him busy.

Checkers probably feels better in high numbers, but it's bad for his body. I would feel like crap without caffeine for example, but that doesn't mean it's good for me. He will get used to the lower numbers as he begins to spend more time in them.

Edited to add: Your signature says sore ears. A dab of neosporin+pain relief (or canadian equivalent) can really help.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    Lukewithcats likes this.
  3. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

Shelly & Jersey (GA) Well-Known Member

Good morning! :coffee:

Great job getting your spreadsheet set up. :) Here's the link to your post from yesterday; we try to include the link to the last post just to give others an easy way to find previous discussions.

What type of meter are you using to test Checkers? (Sorry if you've already mentioned it and I've overlooked it.)

I'm so glad Checkers is responding to the treats. They can make a world of difference at test time.
    Shelly

Lukewithcats likes this.
  4. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

for meters i was going to get a relion but for some reason my walmart only had a shelf of around 6 types of dusty meters and no relion brand anything. I ended up with a Contour Next EZ but I can't say if its any good or not since its the only one i've ever used. Thanks for telling me about the link to my last post, i'll start including it.

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I buy human freeze dried turkey and chicken from Honeyville.com. The cans are large 1 pound 5 oz. but last a very long time. Tge chicken has lots of powder but I use it as a topper on Max's food. Tge turkey is more expensive but has a lot more pieces. It sounds expensive but I think it's much cheaper than the animal ones as tge packages are so much smaller. They are 100% chicken or turkey and no salt. I think they have 10% off right now. They do gave a smaller can of chicken but not any more for tge turkey.

Lukewithcats likes this.
  6. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

Sounds like that would be a much cheaper way to go than the purebites which come in around $2.50/oz.

for anyone else looking:
    http://shop.honeyville.com/products/freeze-dried-food-storage/freeze-dried-meats.html

Lukewithcats likes this.
  7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

8. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

Shelly & Jersey (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks for letting us know which meter you are using. If you were using a pet meter (AlphaTrak), we would use a different range of numbers than we use for those who are using human meters. With a human meter, anything below 50 is considered too low for a kitty on insulin. If Checkers happened to fall below 50, that's when you would need to take immediate action (e.g., feed high-carb food).

Hope you and Checkers had a great day!
    Shelly

Lukewithcats likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.