12/19 OT Kitty Dental - 1 extraction HOME!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kathy and Kitty, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

ETA: Update: see below.

Kitty going under now, 11:20 a.m. central.

Vet will call on status of FORL when he sees the situation.

Previous
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=58782

My plan for feeding tonight is to put his regular food into the blender.

Will be back later with results.

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: 12/19 OT Kitty Dental happening now

Sending good dental vines.

3. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Sending more vines and soothing snowflakes .

4. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Sending lots and lots of healing vines and best wishes for a successful dental. :YMHUG:

We are taking Zener back this afternoon for a mouth check. We will be watching your condo for a how Kitty's dental goes and how you do!

5. Kathy and Kitty

Just spoke with vet, while Kitty is under anesthesia.

One molar is causing pain - a lesion, I gather. Kitty responds to the touch of it even under anesthesia, so that's coming out. I guess he's been in pain, so I hope he will feel better.

There are two teeth toward the front that are showing wear. The vet said that these two extractions would be more complicated, with flaps.

The vet's advice is to watch those closely, but not extract them today. Kitty has already been under anesthesia awhile for the cleaning, and there is no pain reaction in those teeth. Also, the roots have already resorbed substantially, so it would be a complicated extraction. He doesn't want to keep Kitty under aneshesia that long.

He will take another set of x-rays when he is done with this extraction.

So.... one extraction, in the back. Bupe tonight for sure! How many days after one extraction should I give Bupe?

Kitty pooped yesterday but not today. Maybe I should add a little Miralax to his food tonight?

Thanks for the vines, everyone. They are what's keeping me vertical right now. :mrgreen:

6. Anne & Zener GA

Re: 12/19 OT Kitty Dental - 1 extraction, 2 to watch

Thank you for the update, Kathy. You and Kitty are doing great!
    Liz

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Good news!!

With Gabby, when there were roots that were absorbed, my vet did a crown amputation.

8. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Kathy, Checkers just had 3 extractions. One canine and 2 premolars. He was eating well, next day, but
    I gave Bupe, just because I knew it had to hurt, even if he wasn't showing it.
    I also gave Bupe the secod day home, but that was for a back problem, so if his mouth was hurting, I didn't know it.
    Checkers ate right away when he came home, but I allowed only a little at a time, so he wouldn't vomit. He was starved.
    I hope Kitty feels well tomorrow.

9. Kathy and Kitty

Thanks for the care & feeding tips!!

He'll have bupe on board on his return (about an hour), will give more tonight, maybe tomorrow.

My plan:
    Will feed small amounts to avoid scarf & barf.

Will let him sleep it off, though he often gets hyper for a bit after anesthesia.

I realize I don't know whether the molar extraction involved stitches, because discussion focused on the other teeth. I'll ask.

If I missed anything, please let me know.

And Sienne, thanks for that info. I will talk to the vet about the procedure for removing the other teeth.

I am REALLY glad our vet is conservative, because of the lytic nature of Kitty's jaw. I know multiple anesthesias aren't great, but a long anesthesia isn't great either, and I want to protect that delicate jaw.

Good news: He saw no other teeth that look problematic at this time.

I appreciate you all so much.

10. Randa & Mookie

Randa & Mookie Well-Known Member

You must be so relieved! Good, you can relax a little bit tonight. Best healing wishes to Kitty.

11. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update. Glad all went well.

12. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad all went well with Kitty :D

13. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

WELCOME HOME, KITTY-MAN!!!

The KTSS will becoming to bring you chicken soup...but unless you are REALLY whacked out on the Bupe...
    you may want to gently decline Binksy's fervent offer of a "new, exciting hairdoo" :lol:

kathy- good to hear it went so well :D

14. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I've been keeping Kitty in my prayers this morning and so glad that the dental went well. I know you were worried about it but sounds like he did just fine!! I'm sure a few days of bupe will help immensely.

Hey Kitty!!! KTSS on the way!!! Tobey has his paws all flexed to give you a good massage after lying on that table!! I'll get the rest of the KTSS crew. See ya soon!!

15. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

good news that it's all over and kitty's coming home! wahoo! poor baby - we hate having dental stuff done. sounds like you've got a great plan in place, kathy! i would err on giving bupe longer than on not giving enough, personally.

16. Kathy and Kitty

Kitty not home yet... I went to the vet's office (close by) and looked at the x-rays. Vet suggested I leave Kitty there until 7:30. They'll give him a shot of bupe to last through the night, so I don't have to try to get at Kitty's mouth.

Also, Kitty will continue to get IV fluids in the interim. Vet is aware of the elevated BUN (40) and thinks the fluids would be helpful.

QUESTION:

Vet did NOT see anything suggesting infection, and so he is not recommending an antibiotic. He's happy to give one if I want one.

What do you all think??

17. Kathy and Kitty

Hey, Celi, tell Binks THANKS! but, uh, the vet took care of that by restyling the place where they put the IV in. :mrgreen: Kitty says to tell KTSS he LOVES chicken soup - especially chicken soup for the kitty soul!

He is still there, getting fluids, waiting for his overnight bupe shot. I am bouncing off the walls waiting for him to come home.

18. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

Re: 12/19 OT Kitty Dental - 1 extraction-Update & Qstn

:lol: :lol: :lol:

[​IMG]

19. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I'm sure you are VERY anxious to get Kitty home, but this is a very good report! It sounds like you have a great vet. We've got you guys in our thoughts for a speedy recovery!

20. Kathy and Kitty

Thanks! I'm really wondering about the antibiotic. If the vet says it isn't needed, then skip it. Right? Right?? Right. I think.

I swear, my decision-maker is busted.

But yes, this is good. The vet was VERY attentive to what might or might not be causing pain. He acted where necessary - but didn't overdo.

21. Anne & Zener GA

We had Zener on clindamycin pre-and clavamox post- because he had liquipoo with the clindamycin. Don't think the clavamox was much better and our vet stopped it early. I'll defer to the dental experts here and I know there are many who helped us when Zener had his dental. As for the bupe, we gave for2 days then stopped. Today on our recheck, the vet thought all looked good but we noticed that he started feeling more punk and appy decreased when we stopped the bupe, so we are giving it for another couple of days. I Agee with Julie, better to go a little longer than too short.

22. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

The AB isn't because there IS an infection. It's because of all of the crud on the teeth that's scraped away during the procedure. (I just had periodontal work and was on an AB for a week.) The crud from dental work that's released into your mouth and hence into your system can cause rheumatic heart disease, among other things.

23. Kathy and Kitty

Thanks, Sienne. I will get the AB.

Do you think I need bupe to take home, as well as the shot they're giving him when I pick him up?

24. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Unless the vet is using the long acting form of bupe, I'd get it. Better to have it and not use it than to need it and not have it.

25. Kathy and Kitty

Will get bupe and AB.

Many thanks.

26. Randa & Mookie

Randa & Mookie Well-Known Member

I'm with the others who are in favor of getting bup to take home. Pain can and should be managed, and I keep bup on hand for Mookie's pancreatitis and in case of an emergency. It's in their first aid kit. My vet has never had any objection; she provides it when I ask.

27. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Kathy & Kitty,
    We are very glad that everything went well today and that you have such a good, caring dental vet. Rusty is coming over with the KTSS this evening to make sure that Kitty eats some chicken soup; and isn't he lucky to get a Tobey massage!!
    Wishing you both a good evening and a pain-free evening for Mr. Kitty.

Hugs,

Ella & Rusty

28. Kathy and Kitty

Kitty is HOME!

He says KTSS is more than welcome, because this liquified stuff his mamabean is feeding him one tsp at a time does NOT rate.

FOOD: I've taken his FF tender beef and pulverized it in the blender. Didn't work. So I mashed some regular FF beef, and poured the puree over it. He's had about a tablespoon of that in 15 minutes.

His anesthesia was a long time ago - 1:30, I think - so he should be able to tolerate a little more food, right?

He came home with a bandage around the front paw, where he had IV fluids. He keeps shaking it, trying to lick it. :? It can come off in a couple of hours.

AB & Bupe on board. :mrgreen: The vet says the shot he got at 7:30 tonight will carry him through the morning. I have two mouth syringe fulls for tomorrow.

Thank you all for chiming in and supporting me. I don't know what hit me this time, but I was really worried about him.

His post-surgery instructions include hugging & love. Can do. :D

29. Anne & Zener GA

Welcome home Kitty! Hope your bean has a few adult size syringes of wine to help her recover! :D

30. Ann & Tess GA

I'm glad Kitty is safely home! :D :D :D Lots of great advice today. It sounds like all went well. I love the home care instructions! :D :D :D

Kitty, we are on our way! It's cookie week and we have lots! Special Christmas edition of KTSS! -- Tess

31. Kathy and Kitty

You do know that Kitty has a crush on Tess, right? She could deliver ANYTHING, and it would cheer him up.

But if those cookies are Liv-a-Little Chicken Treat flavor, well, so much the better. :mrgreen: I've been trying to feed him FF without treats, and I'm getting some language I won't repeat here. :lol: :lol:

32. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad all went okay, Kathy, for Kitty. I also get really nervous when a dental is coming up. I know you are so glad to have him home. Have a good night for both!

33. Anne & Zener GA

Kathy, we mashed Zener's food with a spoon, added some water and sprinkled fortiflora on top.
    Liz

34. Ann & Tess GA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.