? 12/15 oj amps 691, +6 217, +8 319

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Luxe, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Luxe

Luxe Member

Yesterdays shenanigans
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/12-14-oj-pmps-442-1-412-2-269-3-143-dropping-too-fast.240028

hey y'all. So im still not sure what the heck happened last night to make him drop like that suddenly as he never gets that low. I send the previous days libre results to my vet every morning. Today she was concened how in a matter of a few hours how quickly he drops and how low he went. She wants me to cut back from 3.25u twice daily to 2u. I dont know if i feel comfortable dropping him that much. I was thinking of maybe splitting the difference and going down to 2.5?? But im really not sure. If it were your cat and they were having back to back bounces or having such drastic drops/raises what would you do?? He doesnt seem to have much of a curve, its more like spikes and dips, no real middle ground. Is there something i can do to make him more rounded?? He eats at both shot times. At both +2 and at +6 during the daytime. Shot times are 1 1/2 - 2 cans fancy feast. The +2s he usually splits another can and the +6 is some boiled chicken. Today he seems tired. He definitely still has an appetite but when he's not eating he's just snoozing today. No hanging around in the kitchen like he usually does. This is his graph for today

Attached Files:

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Do you feed him the same during the pm cycle as during the am cycle? That can make a difference if you are not.
    He looks like he was coming off the bounce last night and they can drop quite fast when the do. But he’s bouncing again from the green BG.
    OJ has earned a reduction in dose down to 3 units with that 58 last night.
    I would not reduce to 2 units.

ETA....are you using the alphatrak meter or the libre meter for the numbers in the pm cycle last night.? I’m confused. If it was the libre and you are doing TR you would not reduce the dose.
    Your SS and signature says alphatrak but you seem to swap over at times according to the remarks column to the libre. It really needs to be one or the other, otherwise it is too confusing.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

@Bron and Sheba (GA) The 58 was from the Libre - she double checked with the AT and got a 99. The 99 would not mean a reduction with either SLGS or TR. Plus he didn't even get below 200 on 3.0 units.

Since OJ was fairly recently diagnosed with DKA, I'd be very reluctant to drop his dose, especially so low. If you do drop, please test for ketones and every day.

4. Luxe

Luxe Member

The libre only reads up to 500. So if its too high to get a reading which he is for almost all his amps and pmps i use the alphatrak to see how high he actually is. And yes he gets the same amount of food each cycle. I moved him down to 2.5 to split the difference between what the vet wanted and about what we were giving. If its easier i can just write high instead of an actual number from the AT and i can just keep that number in my personal notebook

5. Wendy&Neko

As someone who's cat registered "Hi" a lot in the early days, I just put "Hi" in the spreadsheet.

Luxe likes this.
  6. Luxe

Luxe Member

Thats kind of what i was thinking too with the DKA. So when she said 2 and i looked back at his numbers from then i was like i dunno. He seemed to be doing better on the higher dose but his dips are just so quick and drastic and then he sky rockets back up so she was thinking on a lower dose he might be more consistent across the course of a day. With the libre i figured i could try it for a day or two so she can see his numbers arent the greatest with a lower dose. I just wish i knew a way to keep him more steady with a higher dose. Im sure the high and low spikes arent good for him either

7. Luxe

Luxe Member

Thank you. I'll do that going forward until his libre runs out. He's got hopefully 11 days left on it

8. Wendy&Neko

The way to control fast drops is with food. There's a technique we call feeding the curve. Using Food to Manipulate the Curve

High and flat is not better that a dose that's finally getting him into normal numbers, that unfortunately causes bouncing.

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Thanks for clarifying Wendy. I didnt read back into the previous thread otherwise I would have seen what she had done:confused:
    I agree that to drop the dose to 2 units after DKA would be very unwise.
    Looks like Luxe has given 2.5 units at PMPS though.

10. Luxe

Luxe Member

Hmmmmm. I could probably do that on my days off. Ding preshot and 1,2 and 3. But if im at work i dont see that happening. Having anyone help me with anything at home seems to be too much of a chore. And im already starting to worry with winter coming and our first big snow storm tomorrow. My boss has been understanding so far but i dont know how he's going to be when its going to take me an hour to drive each way in the snow to go home on my break to give him his shot. Im hoping for calm winter.

11. Luxe

Luxe Member

Im hoping as i send her his graphs everyday she'll see he had better numbers with a higher dose. And i can move my way back up. I can also see her side where shes concerned with how fast he dropped last night. I know i was since thats never happened before. I ended up only getting an hour of sleep before work because i wanted to check him every 15-20mins to make sure he didnt get too low. Once he started the climb back up i felt comfortable going to sleep. I know he didnt hit hypo numbers but i wouldnt have ever thought they could drop by like 375 in a matter of a few hours i wasnt sure how much lower he would get. Very stressful

12. Bron and Sheba (GA)

It is stressful the first few times you see green numbers. Then you start to long to see them as you know they are the healing numbers.
    You must be really tired today with only one hours sleep. I used to set the alarm to wake up even if it was only an hour later rather than just stay awake. That way when Sheba was running low I could check her but also get some sleep in.
    It’s not uncommon for cats to drop a few hundred points in a few hours. As Wendy said you can learn to control the drops with food.

13. Luxe

Luxe Member

I set an alarm between the 12am and 1am and got maybe like 20minutes of sleep in between there. But when i saw he was still going lower so fast i was too nervous to go back to sleep. So i stowed away in the bathroom with him for a few hours so he coukdnt get anywhere to hide and i wouldnt be able to check him frequently. Im going to check him again in 15minutes before i set off to bed. When i send todays graph to the vet in the morning i'll definitely share the concerns here about lowering the dose with the recent dka. Especially since today is 13days negative which is the longest he's gone so far without them showing up and i'd very much like to keep it that way. Im hoping if i do this reduced dose like she wanted if she sees what she wants to see i can finally get the dental scheduled. Im sure once that is done i'll have an easier time regulating and might even be able to reduce the dose more then

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.