11/3 Newman Today's numbers may give some insight

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Linda and Newman, Nov 3, 2022.

1. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

2. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

His PMPS is 221. I'm thinking I want to shoot a reduced dose as we go into the 'unknown overnight.' Would shooting 1.0 unit be reasonable?

ETA: Shot .75

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
  3. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I would have recommended full dose because that big of a rise is pretty indicative of a bounce coming - but you hold the syringe!

There's a pattern here, I'm just not quite sure what to do with it. When hes not bouncing, he has these really nice flat cycles with nice blues/greens - which then triggers a bounce. Bounce usually lasts 2 cycles where he stays pinks and yellows, then he comes back down on the 3rd one. Rinse and repeat. I'm ignoring the first few days with the increased PM dose and calling that dose settling down.

I'm glad to see the recent numbers though! Mostly blues and yellows.

Now I think the decision is whether or not to increase. You could give him time at this dose as long as nadirs stay around 120-130 and don't creep up, and see if the bouncing continues to improve. Or you could increase in the hopes that he spends more time in those lower numbers. It might push nadir a little below 90 on a few cycles, but it shouldn't be anything too crazy (but now that I've said it out loud, he'll have one of his random dive days).

4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

More blue please Newman!

Linda and Newman likes this.
  5. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Contemplating increasing his AM dose, but now we are looking at another hurricane, so I will hold until after the storm. I'll be checking with you before I make any changes!

I've been thinking about you, figuring this is it when I don't see you for a while. lol
    I hope you are feeling well. Take care.

Suzanne & Darcy and FrostD like this.
  6. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hi Linda! How are you doing? You’ve been marvelously consistent with Newman’s dose on this 1.5 units. Are you ready to do an increase soon? I hope you didn’t get too much rain (again!). It has been raining here, but other than that it’s pretty much of a nothing burger for us (good). I believe the remnants of the storm went west of us. It is misting out there now. I think it’s all over now, and I am glad because I have to take one of my cats for an ultrasound this afternoon a little later on (poor baby got no food today.)

7. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Hey Suzanne, good to see you. I'm glad you are not getting too much storm. We were in the cone the entire time and as it drifted northward, because it was such a monster in size we still got a tremendous amount of wind and driven rain for almost 2 days! We had no damage, just yard clean up and putting the outdoor furniture, etc back outside. Feeling lucky.

Newman is doing well and except for once last week for the evening dose when I got a bit nervous since he tested lower than usual and it was overnight when I may not be able to monitor, I got cold feet and shot a reduced dose. I have been thinking about increasing a little. Taking it one day at a time.

I hope the ultrasound went well for your kitty. I have been thinking of you and your babies.

Shelley & Jess likes this.
  8. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. I saw that on November 3 when you posted it (by the time you had decided to shoot.75.) I was out of town and we had just settled into our cabin for the weekend, I believe. We got a good report back today on Bingley (who has IBD.) Intestinal measurements are improved.

I don’t understand Newman’s pink pre shot number tonight. I was looking at a few of his pinks today on the spreadsheet and was wondering if you have any idea why these occur.

9. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Nothing in particular today to spur the pink PMPS. When those occur at AMPS, I figure it is because he has gone lower during the night and he is bouncing.

If by chance he has vomited when he is out of my sight, making me unaware it happened, but that would not raise the BG. right?

10. Suzanne & Darcy

I don't think those pinks are from bouncing - at least not recently. I see too many times where he has a pink PMPS and during the day you have tests to show that he was only in the yellow (like yesterday.) And a couple of times recently where he actually did hit blue during the day, he did not follow with a pink number at all... he just went back up to yellow at PMPS (where he'd started from in the morning.) Oh well, I'm just trying to see if there's anything causing those pinks, but it's probably just the insulin wearing off at the end of the cycle.

11. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Getting some blue numbers today. Glad to see that!

It is now 4:45 just after the last test (152). I will be feeding him his dinner, so that he can fast from about 5-7:00 for the 2 hours before his evening dose. I would expect a food bump.

At PM test time, he will get more food so I can shoot him. I don't know how that figures into his numbers, because he will get another bump. Is there a reason for those pink PMPS numbers in my method?

@Suzanne & Darcy
    @FrostD

FrostD likes this.
  12. Suzanne & Darcy

It’s great how you shot the full 1.5 today and look at all those nice blues!! It looks so pretty on his spreadsheet! So you are giving him his main dinner at about +10 (or +9.5?).

13. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Yes, at about +9.5 at which time he is offered about 1/2 can Fancy Feast. Some times he eats all of it and other times he will eat less. I remove it then for 2 hours. After that period of fasting, I test and then offer him the other half of the can. I shoot him while he is eating that. He may eat more or less, but then is offered the remainder up until bedtime, grazing.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  14. Suzanne & Darcy

Sounds perfect! I hope he won’t bounce from today’s lovely blues.

FrostD and Linda and Newman like this.
  15. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

No I just think some days the insulin doesn't do as much for him, so he stays kind of flat then rises. Just one of those things!

We do try not to feed much after nadir, but it's something you do consistently so what I mean to say is yes that may contribute but it's not the sole explanation because you do it every day. I hope that makes sense!

16. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Hoping he comes down a bit ...putting the increase threat out there!

17. Suzanne & Darcy

Good morning, Linda! I'm just checking in on you and looking at Newman's spreadsheet. How would you feel about fattening up his dose a bit or doing a regular increase? Good job getting those +3 tests in the evening cycle! I just thought we could be conservative in your case and consider fattening instead of a full increase. I hope you and Newman, Ozzie and Minnie are doing well. Will you have a lot of family over next week for Thanksgiving?

18. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Hi, Suzanne. I have been thinking about an increase, but it feels like I should give it a bit more time. He showed up this morning with AMPS 225.

Our Thanksgiving will be traditional. My family is not the average. It will only be the three of us, me, my son and grandson. Since my daughter, granddaughter and great granddaughter moved to NC a few years ago. We don't see each other very often.

How about you? Will you be cooking for a crowd?

19. Suzanne & Darcy

Well, hopefully he will see some blue today. Not cooking for a crowd. Just the four of us. :) I kind of miss the get togethers that we used to have in years gone by though, when lots of aunts, uncles, and cousins, etc. would gather for Thanksgiving. Now, we go away. It’s always a hassle getting out of here, but once we are away it’s worth it.

20. Suzanne & Darcy

Hi Linda, are you all right? Is Newman all right? I was just checking in and I don't see much in the way of testing for the last couple of days. I just wanted to make sure you are okay. I hope you've just been busy. You know how to reach me if you need anything. No bother at all!

21. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Thanks for checking in on us. All is well.

I eased off the testing a little bit to give his ear a rest and I was planning to stay the course on dosing through the holiday. I did stay up a little later last night and got a +5.5 where he was at 183, so maybe he was a bit lower for the next couple of hours. His AMPS was 310, so not too bad, considering. He seems to feel pretty well this morning compared to sleeping most of the day yesterday.

Thanks for standing by.

FrostD likes this.
  22. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

(baby is here, I will still try to keep an eye on Newman when I can!)

23. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Congratulations and best wishes!

Thanks for the notice.

Take care and I'll "see" you when you can.

FrostD likes this.
  24. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Just had to advertise we got a lovely blue 158 @ +7.5 today! :joyful: @FrostD @Suzanne & Darcy

Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy.

25. Suzanne & Darcy

Hi Linda! I see Newman has enjoyed his Thanksgiving with a little turkey breast :) Hope you are well. He's had a few higher blues recently. It's good to see that color on his spreadsheet. I'm back from my trip now, and am glad to be home.

26. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Hi Suzanne. Of course I was aware of your absence, but did not know you were travelling. I'm glad you had a safe trip and I'm glad to have your advice again.

I am all but certain that it is time to increase Newman's dose. I was planning to start with tomorrow's AM dose. I'm not sure if I should go for the full .25 increase or just make the 1.5 fat. It would seem like there isn't much difference and both are tricky to draw. I have said in the past, I just choose a 'mark' and stay with it as best I can.

27. Suzanne & Darcy

I was looking at his spreadsheet this morning and also speculating on whether a fattened up dose might be the way to go right now (especially with those blues). Newman seems quite sensitive to small adjustments to his insulin.

28. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Good morning. Noting that I fattened up his 1.5 dose on an AMPS 307.

I'm thinking of Melissa and hoping that she and the baby and her family are all well.

FrostD and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  29. Suzanne & Darcy

I hope the fattened dose will be a good fit for Newman. I have been thinking quite a bit about Melissa and baby and family as well. We miss you, Melissa.

30. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

We are good :) we are isolating in the bedroom now until RSV blows through the house, hopefully just until Sunday. Makes it difficult to know what day it is! I thought for sure I had popped in yesterday but apparently not. Both the baby and I are past the window of worry, just waiting on my son's cough to clear up. Poor little guy.

I think the fattened dose was a good idea.

31. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Good to see you!

32. Suzanne & Darcy

It's so good to hear from you, Melissa. I was worried about RSV even before you had the baby. With immature immune systems, babies are especially at risk for the first 6 months. If you have immunity though, you can pass that along to baby hopefully through feeding. I've been a little worried about you all. I'm sorry all of your kids have been sick, too, and you not able to help them! :-( Tell me, did you have a baby boy or a baby girl? As I recall it was going to be a surprise.

33. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

The RSV timing was actually incredibly lucky. Kids got sick a week before she (girl! Evelyn, 8lb 9oz 20.5in...big girl) was born, I had a 1-2 day half cold sort of thing, didn't think anything of it. My son caught it last. Husband took him to doctor right after baby was born, RSV. I was swabbed in hospital, but negative. Antibody test was positive so yes thankfully she should have some level of immunity.

So my husband actually didn't come back to the hospital, he only held her for a bit after she was born :(

We're isolating for a total of 2 weeks from when my son started, so hopefully Sunday we can all be back together. I had a very hard time not being able to see the kids, I feel bad my husband hasn't seen or held the baby much, kids too. He's also not cut out to be a stay at home parent :rolleyes: We video call and stuff which helps.

The other good news is we already had the flu too, so that kind of knocks out the two big concerns for newborns. Still haven't caught covid yet, knock on wood. But that seems to be less risky for little ones.

Wow that was long. Sorry to hijack Linda!

34. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Happy to hear from you and pleased to welcome baby Evelyn to the world!

35. Suzanne & Darcy

Evelyn. What a beautiful name. It has been rough, but you certainly have been blessed with some good circumstances. It should be over soon. Your husband will certainly be ready to have some help (and go back to work, I bet!) He's going to love holding his new baby (and your other two kids will as well!)

FrostD likes this.
  36. Suzanne & Darcy

Lots of yellows for Newman so far, I see. Hopefully, things will settle down (with down being the operative word) a bit here soon. Other than this, how are you doing, Linda?

37. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I've been thinking the same thing. He hasn't had any blue numbers since I fattened the dose! I hope that after a few more cycles we will get some lower numbers. At the moment, he was doing better before the increase, although I'm not suggesting going back down. All in all he appears well in his demeanor and activities, eating, using the litter box and grooming. He is spending time on the screened porch, watching the birds and iguanas. All is as usual so that's good.

We had a nice Thanksgiving and now getting decorated for Christmas. I got a new wreath for the front door and my son put up the outdoor lights. Next will be the Christmas trees. I have used artificial for the past several years, so the boys need to get them down from the loft and I will do the decorating. I do three trees. One with a beach theme, shells and starfish. One with antique and meaningful glass ornaments. The third one is on the screened porch. It is very natural with only red berries and cardinals among clear twinkling (not flashing) lights. It is very pretty.

How are you doing and how are your kitties? I hope the new meds are working and they are responding well. I only know of Ginger by name. How many do you have?

Thanks for checking on us.

38. Suzanne & Darcy

Your trees sound lovely. I like the different themes idea. I'll have to see photos! :) I'm glad Newman is acting normally and enjoying life. Ginger is doing well as far as I can tell (breathing, activity level, appetite, etc.) I take her for frequent vet check ups for her heart. She went with us, of course, for Thanksgiving week in the cabin. She had a great time and so did the two little foster kittens who were too small to leave with a pet sitter. I have a lot of cats... and a blessed pet sitter who takes care of them when we go away. Bingley is my cat with (stable) IBD and the others area healthy as far as I know. Two boy cats (Marcus Sr. and Oliver are FIV+ but don't have any health problems at this time (knock wood.) There are others as well... keeps us busy for sure.

Linda and Newman and FrostD like this.
  39. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I love seeing how people decorate their trees. I usually do 3 trees, but I think this year I'll only be able to manage one. I also do the twinkling lights, sprays of cranberries, and some garland. I had birds for it too at one point but no idea where they are. One tree for the kids to decorate, and then the other I've started buying the special/commemorative ornaments for.

Plus the rest of the house since we usually host...maybe I'll enjoy the break from it this year haha

Maybe time for an increase ...every time we threaten it he likes to prove us wrong!

40. Suzanne & Darcy

I usually put up several trees inside, and others outside. I have a big tree and got a few of the slim trees so that I could fit more in (I have so many ornaments.). It should be interesting with kittens this year.

41. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member