11/26 Chispa, 143 AMPS, 79 +3, 163 PMPS, 109 +3.5

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Karen and Chispa, Nov 26, 2023.

1. Karen and Chispa

Karen and Chispa Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/11-22-chispa-171-amps-69-3-5.283857/#post-3126021

Good morning! The last few days have flown by in a blur.

Chispa continues to recover well from her nine extractions :nailbiting:. She seems to be having less pain than when they took out six teeth last February, for which I'm very thankful. Only problem is, the antibiotics have given her terrible diarrhea. It's pure liquid, and I have to scoop her up out of the litterbox as soon as she's done so she won't get her paws etc. in it (also have to wipe her butt to make sure it's clean, but this may be TMI; sorry :p). I texted her vet tech catsitter, who suggested probiotics and also a shot that they could give her to stop the diarrhea. I got probiotics and canned pumpkin and started giving them to her last night, and I'll call the vet first thing on Monday.

Wishing everyone a happy Sunday! :bighug::cat::bighug::coffee:

2. Karen and Chispa

3. Angela & Cleo

Angela & Cleo Well-Known Member

4. cecile & bella

cecile & bella Well-Known Member

That is cute, poor girl! I hope it does not bother her too much :bighug:

Karen and Chispa likes this.
  5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Karen, her little paws do look cute . sorry about the diarrhea.
    I'm going to tag a few members about it :bighug::bighug::bighug::cat:
    Maybe the shot they are talking about is

Is there a shot for cat diarrhea?
    Metronidazole is available as a capsule, tablet, and liquid suspension. It may also be compounded into a formulation (called metronidazole benzoate) that tastes less bitter and is easier to administer to cats. An injectable form is also available that your veterinarian will administer at your veterinary hospital.
    @Karen and Chispa

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@Wendy&Neko
    @Suzanne & Darcy
    @Sienne and Gabby (GA)
    Thanks Ladies

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Metronidazole is for the treatment of anaerobic bacterial infections. A cat on an antibiotic doesn't have an infection. The antibiotic is killing off the "good" bacteria in the gut thereby causing the diarrhea. It's also a prescription medication.

I'd suggest S. boulardii. It's a probiotic and as far as I'm concerned is magic. This is information on dealing with your cat's diarrhea using S. boulardii.You can generally find this at a health food store, Whole Foods (I'd call to see if it's stocked) or online. Jarrows and ReNew are good brands if you're looking online.

8. Fistuk & Shelly

Fistuk & Shelly Well-Known Member

SOrry to hear Chispa is suffering from diarrhoea. AB always gives Fistuk horrible diarrhoea. And don't worry it's not TMI I know exactly how messy it can get :bighug:
    S. Bouldarii helped a lot as well as psyllium husk :bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. Fistuk & Shelly

Fistuk & Shelly Well-Known Member

10. Staci & Ivy

Staci & Ivy Well-Known Member

O
    She looks so sweet. Poor baby with her boxing gloves. I hope her gut feels better very soon. Those meds are so hard on their stomachs and create another set of problems! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Poor Chispa, that has to be so uncomfortable. I second the S. boullardi. There is also a Proviable paste that is supposed to be really good at stopping diarrhea, but that is less readily available immediately. It also contains kaolin and pectin to soothe her GI.

I would not use metronidazole. The downside of metronidazole is that it can disrupt the gut biome, making things worse. Links to some articles about that on a website. Ignore the sales pitch, there are some articles on the bottom of the page.

12. Staci & Ivy

Wendy, Have you ever heard of Animal Essentials Colon Rescue?
    I have used it and thought it worked really well for Ivy. (Bought on Amazon)
    I was curious on your opinion.

13. Wendy&Neko

No, never used it. It has slippery elm bark powder and marshmallow root and I've seen some people use those to help their cats.

The Proviable Forte provides pre and probiotics, which work to provide better balance in the GI system. A different approach, as is s. boullardi which is a actually a yeast that competes with the bad bacteria.

Karen and Chispa and Staci & Ivy like this.
  14. Staci & Ivy

I’m not familiar with The Proverbial Forte, looks like it’s prescription from a vet.

15. Deb and Sylvester

Deb and Sylvester Well-Known Member

Hi Karen,
    I'm sorry to hear about the funny poos. I use all kinds of probiotics and prebiotics... different ones for different cats.
    IMO Fortiflora or Nexabiotic work great. The one Staci mentioned is good too, but it's a liquid I think.

Sending you guys good vibes and hugs!!:bighug:

16. Staci & Ivy

Yep, it is a liquid, Deb.

17. Deb and Sylvester

I've used the Colon Rescue and also the Slippery Elm.

Staci & Ivy and Karen and Chispa like this.
  18. Karen and Chispa

@Wendy&Neko @Sienne and Gabby (GA) , Thank you both for weighing in on metronidazole, which is exactly what the vet tech was suggesting. I'm very glad to have this information, and also glad to not have to take Chispa back to the vet for it. Good to know about S. boullardi too -- I will try to get some if this persists beyond Thursday, which is when the antibiotics run out.

@Deb and Sylvester , Fortiflora is what I picked up at the pet store, so I'm glad to hear it's worked for Sly. I knew it was palatable to most cats, and of course it can't work if they won't eat it. Thanks for the good vibes and hugs; much appreciated!!

@Diane Tyler's Mom @Angela & Cleo @cecile & bella @Fistuk & Shelly @Staci & Ivy
    Thank you all for your kind thoughts and knowledge!
    Hugs from me and purrs from Chispa :bighug::bighug::cat::bighug::bighug:

Fistuk & Shelly and Staci & Ivy like this.
  19. Wendy&Neko

Fortiflora is a single strain probiotic. It might work for some cats, but there are much better options out there, including some probiotics given to humans.

I would start s. boullardi now. No need to have the diarrhea continue until Thursday. A good probiotic can also be given now.

20. Mikanmama

Mikanmama Well-Known Member

Hi Karen,
    I'm sorry to hear about Chispa's diarrhea. It's so stressful to see that in our babies.
    (Plus, cleaning bottoms!)
    For Mikan, Psyllium husk powder works, but it's good to see there are other options! Thanks, @Wendy&Neko @Staci & Ivy @Deb and Sylvester @Sienne and Gabby (GA)
    I may get some of those just in case one of my kitties get into trouble!

And Awwwww. I'm sure she'd rather not, but her boxer glove is just so adorable :kiss::kiss::kiss:

21. Karen and Chispa

Wendy, thanks for clarifying this. I called a couple of places and found s. boullardi, so I'll run out there right after work. Will also call the vet as soon as they reopen at 2 to see if they have Proviable or Visbiome, which I know is also a human probiotic. It would be great if this could stop SOON.

22. Karen and Chispa

Thanks, Kit. I'll look into psyllium husk powder at the health food store while I'm there -- I don't imagine that one remedy would interfere with another, and the sooner I can stop chasing her around to wipe her butt, the better!!!

23. cecile & bella

cecile & bella Well-Known Member

I hope it stops soon, it's such a miserable thing for both of you!
    I think you said you had some, but pumpkin works well, too. And yogurt: if you have natural plain , it should have probiotics, in the meantime.

24. Wendy&Neko

Psyllium husk powder is a great suggestion. It's a prebiotic, somewhat like pumpkin, and pairs nicely with a probiotic.

I get Visbiome on line. It doesn't need a vet to be involved to get it, though they may have some in stock.

25. Deb and Sylvester

Psyllium is also an ingredient in the Fortiflora, so that's why I do use this for 2 of my guys.

26. Karen and Chispa

Update: I got s. boulardii and psyllium husk powder at the natural food store and gave both to her with dinner. Now we just have to wait and hope. FX that today's "cleanup in Aisle 7" was the last for a while!!