11/20 Boomer AMPS 108 +3 85 +6 74 PMPS 122 +3 121 and I think Allen is feeling a bit better!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Judy and Boomer, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Yesterday
    Good morning!
    AMPS 108 shooting 2u

Another pj party with Boomer last night although he never went dangerously low (although 2 extra helpings of fowl ball may have prevented it). It wasn't totally unexpected since his numbers continued to go down all day from his yellow start. And yes he did refuse to eat the last half of his 2:00 and I ended up adding a bit of turkey pate to it. I finally went to bed at 2:00 and I do remember him crying a couple of times around 5:00 but he didn't keep it up and I went right back to sleep.
    I was hoping that Allen would be feeling noticeably better after finally having fluids yesterday (I found a vet assistant in the area that came over and helped us) but he really isn't, and this is now day 4 without a poop so I will have to get some cisapride from Dr Larry today. These days I really feel like I'm torturing my cats with the pokes, pills, etc. :( Allen's still not eating much despite the mirtazapine. It's been 5.5 days since his last Pred.....does anyone know how long it takes for this to leave his system? I'm so frustrated; I can't seem to help him.

2. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

You're winning, Judy, stay strong! :joyful:

I don't know specifics of steroid use in cats, but at least for people, it can a good while for side effects of steroid use to resolve. Hope Allen continues to improve. :bighug:

Judy and Boomer likes this.
  4. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

I know the feeling, but what state would your kitties be in right now if you weren't doing these things? :bighug:

5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Boomer is looking good.

I hope you see some improvement in Allen soon. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Judy and Boomer

Thanks Alicia. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Alicia & Maggie (GA) likes this.
  7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

8. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

I understand what you're feeling Judy, it's hard and only wish they could talk. Both boys know everything you do is out of love for them. Hope Boomer surfs today and Allen shows improvement soon. Hang in there :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. Judy and Boomer

10. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Judy, u r a wonderful momma bean :bighug: Keep believing for Allen’s improvement :bighug: Not sure how long it can take for pred to clear , sometimes it took my kitties as long to clear as they were on it . :banghead: Sending many prayers to you and ur boys :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

11. Judy and Boomer

+6 74
    Picked up some cisapride from Dr Larry since Allen hasn't had a poop in 4 days.
    I tried to get him to eat a bit before giving the cisapride, he licked at it a couple of times and that was it. So I dug out his old fancy feast (which we're not suppose to be giving him because he's supposed to be on a diabetic diet) and gave him some and he dug right into it.

12. Judy and Boomer

Thank you my friend :bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. Judy and Boomer

Thanks Beth! These days I feel like I'm constantly pilling/poking! I hope on some level they understand

Beth 73 likes this.
  14. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Eating anything is better than not eating, Judy. :bighug:

15. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

I agree with Kris...the best food for a kitty is the food he will eat. My guys have proven to me that they will starve themselves before they will cave and eat something they don't like/don't want to. If Allen wants FF, the so be it.

I do think they understand we are helping them. Prayers that he feels better soon....and some poop vines, too!

16. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Glad that Boomer is working it. And I do hope poor Allen feels better ASAP. Doing a poop dance for you! It is so hard on us when they don't feel good. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

17. Beth 73

Judy, is baby food meat an option ?? Last few days Elmo has decided it’s his best favorite food so I give it to him , still trying to mix in with “ good” food . We can try our best but at times they just want what they want ... the little poops ;) :arghh::bighug:

18. Judy and Boomer

Yup exactly how I feel about it.

19. Judy and Boomer

It actually hadn't occurred to me so thank you for the reminder/suggestion!

Beth 73 likes this.
  20. Judy and Boomer

I think Allen is feeling a bit better:woot::woot: He has eaten a few tiny meals of fancy feast and actually jumped up on the couch and sat between us while I brushed him and DH gave him scritches. He continued to sit there while we ate dinner and then he climbed up on DH. Allen hasn't done that for quite a few days! So now he's hanging in the living room with us and dinner will be served to the fur babies very shortly.

21. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Great news, hope the improvements continue, feel better, Allen!

22. Judy and Boomer

PMPS 122 shooting 2u

23. Amy&TrixieCat

So glad he's feeling better!!! Do you think maybe it's because the FF is higher carb? Prayers that he continues to feel better!

24. Judy and Boomer

hmmm I don't know Amy! He's actually supposed to be receiving a low carb diet as per an oncologist that Dr Larry consulted. But you're right, it did seem that he started to improve once he had eaten the fancy feast.

25. Amy&TrixieCat

I know they are concerned about carbs feeding the cancer, but I wonder if it's possible that the chronic low blood sugar is what's making him feel yucky and weak - and of course that would make feeding LC counterproductive since low blood sugar isn't a good thing, either. Maybe do some research into what humans do when they have a chronic low blood sugar condition? Just a thought that popped into my head when you mentioned he was feeling better.

26. Beth 73

Elmo and I are doing our happy dance over the great Allen news :) Come on, sweet Allen :bighug: Continued Prayers that any remaining pred exists quickly and all effects are negated :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

27. Judy and Boomer

28. Judy and Boomer

Yes it's the carbs feeding the cancer. But also if the tumour is an insulinoma it could drop more insulin into his system when it detects more carbs. So it appeared to be best to reduce the carbs to begin with.

29. Judy and Boomer

Allen seemed to revert back to feeling unwell tonight but then he did have his diazoxide at 8:00 which has a bad taste (I try to counteract the bad taste with some butter). But I just gave my boys their before-bedtime fuds and he was eating pretty well.

30. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

One thing to keep in mind - when bg is low, potassium can't enter the cells to work correctly. There's a direct tie between them. Low potassium (even within 'normal' range but on the lower end) will make all muscles weak including heart and lungs. I think the higher carbs are helping the potassium move thru the cells properly. I know it's a fine line you're walking between feeding the cancer and feeding the body.

HUGS and hugs...

31. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

More hugs and scritches, and a lotta vines, too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.