10/9 Xander AMPS 291 +2 176 +3 96 +4 52 +4.5 76 +5 77

Albert & Xander

Member Since 2025
Yesterday's post

I'm having a rough day with anxiety 😟 Xander had some great numbers last night but I had to set alarms to test him/give him a little snack 😴. Back to high numbers this AMPS.
He's also having a lot of ear irritation issues from the mirataz, pink and irritated with a long of skin flaking. It's weird since he's been on it for so long that he's just now starting to have this issue. It's seeming to bother him more, not letting me test his left ear. I feel I can't discontinue it because of his history of appetite issues. Maybe the oral mirtazapine tablets could be grinded down into a very small dose? I've just heard of a lot more side effects vs the transdermal.

His current regimen of 2mg Ondansetron and 30mg Gaba BID as well as the small daily Mirataz dose has kept his appetite extremely steady lately. Prior to starting the gaba about 2-3 months ago, we were still having appetitie issues but ever since them he hasn't had a lower eating day yet. It's hard to tell how much effect the mirataz is still having for him.

Any longer term mirataz users have any advice? I alternate ears every day, and wipe down his ears with a moist paper towel then a dry paper towel each day just before application.
 
Is it just the one ear irritated or both?

Back in Neko's day, Mirataz wasn't out yet. I never tried mirtazapine pills on her, but did try cyproheptadine an alternative. Dose is "a crumb".

How much does Xander weigh? You can give ondansetron up to 4 times per day. Just wondering if upping the anti nausea would help his appetite.
 
Is it just the one ear irritated or both?

Back in Neko's day, Mirataz wasn't out yet. I never tried mirtazapine pills on her, but did try cyproheptadine an alternative. Dose is "a crumb".

How much does Xander weigh? You can give ondansetron up to 4 times per day. Just wondering if upping the anti nausea would help his appetite.
Unfortunately both ears, but the left seems to be worse.

He weighs about 13.5 pounds. Before the gaba, we experimented with higher ondan doses and it didnt seem to change much with his appetite besides worse poops.

Months ago despite the ondan and mirataz, he was still having appetite issues. When we introduced the small gaba dose, that was the gamechanger. Since then his appetite has been very good and regular. It's just hard to tell what effect mirataz/ondan are still contributing to what is currently working.
 
I was thinking more frequent, not necessarily higher ondan dose. Though for his weight the low end dosing is 3 mg.

Maybe try Mirataz every other day and see if he still eats well. For kidney cats typically EOD is recommended.
 
I'm having a rough day with anxiety 😟 Xander had some great numbers last night but I had to set alarms to test him/give him a little snack 😴. Back to high numbers this AMPS.
He's also having a lot of ear irritation issues from the mirataz, pink and irritated with a long of skin flaking. It's weird since he's been on it for so long that he's just now starting to have this issue. It's seeming to bother him more, not letting me test his left ear.
Albert, sending love and hugs to both you and Xander.
I really hope you can find a solution to this ear as soon as possible, so things can settle down for him and you can have some peace there.
🫂 Please take good care of yourself today, and remember to breathe.


Months ago despite the ondan and mirataz, he was still having appetite issues. When we introduced the small gaba dose, that was the gamechanger. Since then his appetite has been very good and regular. It's just hard to tell what effect mirataz/ondan are still contributing to what is currently working.
If I may ask, is Mirataz really necessary right now, given how well the gaba seems to have worked? Maybe you can talk about it with the vet.
 
Albert, sending love and hugs to both you and Xander.
I really hope you can find a solution to this ear as soon as possible, so things can settle down for him and you can have some peace there.
🫂 Please take good care of yourself today, and remember to breathe.



If I may ask, is Mirataz really necessary right now, given how well the gaba seems to have worked? Maybe you can talk about it with the vet.

Thank you! 🤗

That's a really good question whether the Mirataz is needed. He's had a long history of being a finicky eater, but once he had a bout of pancreatitis we started nausea meds and mirataz. The nausea meds never really had a huge impact, but the mirataz was a miracle at first. I gave a tiny dose to him every few days for a few months and it kept him with a strong appetite. Over time though, he started having more trouble eating even with the ondan added back and increasing doses of mirataz daily. We went to the vet 2 months ago and decided to try gaba to see if it could be a pain or comfort issue, and it worked wonderfully. He still eats in smaller portions but eats very reliably once the meds kick in. Things have been going so well that I have been reluctant to change any of the drugs around and just keep his regiment the same, but I may have to try to reduce the frequency of the mirataz or try an oral drug due to the irritation.

I have a vet visit next week to discuss his change in BG regulation, teeth, and now the mirataz ear irritation. I'll see if she recommends trying to reduce it or maybe an oral med.
 
I understand the whole picture now. 🙏 I do remember your comments about how much better he got after you introduced gaba.

So, the nausea meds didn’t make a huge difference, and initially, Mirataz helped too, but over time, it seems to have become less effective. Thankfully, gaba came along and helped change the game.

I was wondering: could the frequent daily ear pricks have contributed to Xander’s irritation, since the Mirataz might penetrate deeper or more quickly through those tiny puncture wounds? Do you know what I mean? Perhaps it’s not just the Mirataz itself, but a combination of the medication and the repeated tiny traumas to the ear. I’m not sure if that could be the case, though. It just crossed my mind as a possibility.

I totally get it.. When things are going well, we become reluctant to change any variables. But I’m glad you already have that vet appointment scheduled. That way, you can discuss whether reducing the frequency of Mirataz might be the first thing to try, or whether switching to an oral medication would be a better option.

I’m always rooting for handsome Xander. I hope his ears heal quickly (and heal well), and that you can feel more at ease, too. Any significant change in our little ones affects us. I know that feeling very well. I hope you feel confident in his vet and that the plan works out well for Xander! Keep us posted.
 
Back
Top