10.9 PMPS Advice Please

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KyraCat, Sep 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Evening

Just tested Kyra before his evening injection first one read 9.5 second one(straight after) was 10.9.

We are stalling for 20mins without food to test again but any advice on what dose depending on what the next reading says?

2.50 caninsulin - feringa cat food

@Elizabeth and Bertie @Deb & Wink (apologies if I've tagged the wrong people...)

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

@Panic seems to be online as well.

3. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

10.9 is basically 11 so you could technically give full dose. If you're more comfortable though, since you haven't given full dose near that low amount, you can give a token amount if he hasn't risen any. Let's see what his number is.

4. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Thanks @Panic :)

What is a token dose? I've heard the term but don't know what it means in terms of dose amount. Or does that depend on each score?

5. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

It means 10 to 25% of the current dose. So 2.5u token dose would be .25 to .62u!

6. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

OK just did the retest. First one read 9.7 2nd was 11.2

Best to do a 0.25 dose?

7. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

That would be fine. :) He'll probably benefit from a little more since he's heading up but it will be helpful to see what he does on this token dose.

8. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Thanks so much @Panic

We'll go ahead with 0.25 and see how he goes :)

To think the vet was only telling me earlier today to try and get him back up to 5 units... Tut!

9. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

:eek:

10. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

:eek: squared!

11. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Cubed!

12. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Haha loving all the shocks guys!

I was a bit like okkkk....

I will get him back to 5units only if its needed and it will be by 0.25 increments every 7days. No ifs, no buts no coconuts!!

13. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

I think we are bouncing all over the place - good readings then much higher readings. Trying to stay positive that it will all calm down eventually...

The vet has asked about testing for ketone. I know this is the dip stick in urine but I wondered do I need to catch his wee in a container as he is doing it or, if its not all absorbed could I dunk the stick in the littler tray straight after he's done?

14. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I've heard where folks get a ladle and ..."watch" when kitty goes to pee, just slide ladle under stream. I've also heard folks putting tiny bit of litter in a CLEAN lb with something under one side so pee collects to one corner then do the dip.

Deb & Wink and KyraCat like this.
  15. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

Hi Jemma! Just stopped by to see how you are getting along. Well done you for resisting crazy vet!

I only did the stick a couple of times, and i dipped in a puddle in the litter box when I saw him peeing. I read somewhere about putting pieces of cling film aboce the litter tray, since cat is bound to splash it at some point. It doesn't work for us because of two cats... but perhaps will work for you?

16. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Hello!! I was only wondering how you were getting on today then I saw you had posted in your thread! I want to say something good about your SS but I don't want to jinx you so I'll refrain :p
    Thanks for the clingfilm tip, I hate that stuff at the best of times but worth a try!! We have 3cats so I will have to be on litter watch to make sure I'm testing the right one lol

Thanks Jeanne for your advice too! I'll get some strips and see how we go. Goodness knows how he'll react if he sees me with a ladel in hand hahaha

17. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

I know I would run for the hills if someone was waiting with a laddle while I was about to pee.... ;)

Good luck!

18. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

19. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Ya gotta be sneaky...heh heh heh

Critter Mom, KyraCat and Deb & Wink like this.
  20. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Yeah for Mogs! She beat me to it, by posting the link to the urine catching tips.

There are also ketone blood meters that test for ketones, with a special test strip for that particular type of meter.

21. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Thanks for the link!! I'll take a look and work on my stealthyness :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.