10/9 Jude | AMPS 120; +5 96; PMPS 77

Mary & Jude

Member Since 2024
TLDR: Question about Lantus:

If we lose power as a result of the hurricane, and this is very likely, it will be out for a while. During the last hurricane, we lost power for about a week or so. I won't be able to keep his Lantus refrigerated. Will it be okay for a while unrefrigerated? If so, how long? I know that humans don't often refrigerate theirs because the vials don't last as long as ours since we're giving such small doses, but those vials are usually replaced within about 30 days. Will Jude's vial remain okay for at least until the power is restored and I can purchase a new bottle?? I feel like this is something that @squeem3 might know.

yesterday's condo

Jude is holding onto those nicer numbers. As I said yesterday, he often takes some time adjusting to a dose increase, so it's looking like he's adjusting now. I'm waiting for the bounce :oops: I thought it would be this morning, since he dropped into the greens last night, but 120 is not much of a bounce, and since then he's come back down again ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ

His stools are loose--not diarrhea, just loose. I hope this doesn't get worse. I think it's the Gaba. I have no idea what to do about that. Should I give him psyllium husk?? In the past when he's had diarrhea, it's been from antibiotics, but Gaba isn't that.

Hurricane Isaias has shifted course to the east, so now it looks like we're going to be in the direct path. We're about 100 miles inland of the Gulf of Mexico, so once it hits landfall, it will begin to weaken, but by the time it reaches us, it will still be a fairly strong storm (maybe still at hurricane strength) and/or we will be on the 'dirty' side of the storm, which means much more intense wind, rain, etc. Typically, we'll be looking to experience high, straight-line winds, tornadoes, and a lot of rain. Most definitely, we'll have, at the least, widespread power outages in the area.
 
Last edited:
Aww, we've had our fingers crossed it would shift away from us but knowing you live that direction also had my fingers crossed it wouldn't go too far east! Hopefully it isn't too long for power to be restored. Or maybe you'll get lucky! We somehow didn't lose power for the last tropical storm we had.

When I was younger and we would go on roadtrips, my grandma would keep her insulin in a small cooler filled with ice. I wonder If sitting ontop of the ice but not directly in it would keep it cool enough? Ice might be hard to come across, but even with the worst storms we've had places like walmart reopen pretty quickly.
 
Not a direct answer to your question but will you have access to any way to charge things? Maybe one of these insulin coolers would work if you can find a way to charge it over a week.

My family is south west of you on the Gulf Coast and going to get hit by the storm too. I hope all of you stay safe, power stays on, and they are able to clear debris quickly! And I sincerely hope the cell towers stay up!

Edit: I just realized the cooler would still need an ice pack to be frozen. Nevermind on that idea.
 
Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Feline Diabetes Message Board - FDMB may be compensated.
Not a direct answer to your question but will you have access to any way to charge things? Maybe one of these insulin coolers would work if you can find a way to charge it over a week.

My family is south west of you on the Gulf Coast and going to get hit by the storm too. I hope all of you stay safe, power stays on, and they are able to clear debris quickly! And I sincerely hope the cell towers stay up!

Edit: I just realized the cooler would still need an ice pack to be frozen. Nevermind on that idea.
Oh, gosh...right on the gulf! I'm so sorry!! I'll keep them in my thoughts and hope for minimal damage/issues. I used to live right on the gulf too (PCB), but I would always evacuate to my parents' home (which is where I live now) during hurricanes.
 
Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Feline Diabetes Message Board - FDMB may be compensated.
Oh, gosh...right on the gulf! I'm so sorry!! I'll keep them in my thoughts and hope for minimal damage/issues. I used to live right on the gulf too (PCB), but I would always evacuate to my parents home (which is where I live now) during hurricanes.
Iโ€™ll be keeping you in my thoughts as well!! I just hope itโ€™s nothing like Hurricane Ivan! Stay safe Mary and keep us updated!
 
I talked to the pharmacist. She said unrefrigerated Lantus would last 28 days.
Mary, I've had some questions regarding this topic too. Here is what I found:

1791585518798.png

His stools are loose--not diarrhea, just loose. I hope this doesn't get worse. I think it's the Gaba. I have no idea what to do about that. Should I give him psyllium husk?? In the past when he's had diarrhea, it's been from antibiotics, but Gaba isn't that.
Hum... is it something recent? If psyllium works well for him, maybe you can give it a try - but maybe people with more experience can have better ideas. Have you tried any probiotics or beta-glucans? Either one works well for mine. Hopefully it is not something more serious and just the gaba.

Hurricane Isaias has shifted course to the east, so now it looks like we're going to be in the direct path. We're about 100 miles inland of the Gulf of Mexico, so once it hits landfall, it will begin to weaken, but by the time it reaches us, it will still be a fairly strong storm (maybe still at hurricane strength) and/or we will be on the 'dirty' side of the storm, which means much more intense wind, rain, etc. Typically, we'll be looking to experience high, straight-line winds, tornadoes, and a lot of rain. Most definitely, we'll have, at the least, widespread power outages in the area.
๐Ÿ™... I really hope you, Jude, and your loved ones can stay safe and that everything goes as well as possible. ๐Ÿค
 

Attachments

  • 1791585145445.png
    1791585145445.png
    113.8 KB · Views: 1
Oh Mary, Sending you many good luck vines
๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€
I hope you will be spared from this nasty storm!
Do you happen to have one of those Frio cooler things for insulin? Itโ€™s water based for cooling
FRรO insulin cooler | Keeps insulin, GLP-1s, and other medications, cool and safe
Go away, Isaias. Nobody here likes you ๐Ÿ˜ซ

I hope Judeโ€™s tummy feels better and poops firm up ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ„โ€โ™‚๏ธ๐ŸŒŠ๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿ’•
Thanks, Staci! I don't have a Frio cooler. I remember looking at them a long time ago, but I never made the purchase. I probably should invest in one for the future.
 
Mary, I've had some questions regarding this topic too. Here is what I found:

View attachment 80683

Hum... is it something recent? If psyllium works well for him, maybe you can give it a try - but maybe people with more experience can have better ideas. Have you tried any probiotics or beta-glucans? Either one works well for mine. Hopefully it is not something more serious and just the gaba.


๐Ÿ™... I really hope you, Jude, and your loved ones can stay safe and that everything goes as well as possible. ๐Ÿค
Thanks, Clarice! Jude's loose bowels started right when I increased his Gaba, so I think that is the culprit. I'll give him some s.boulardii tonight, and we'll see how that goes.
 
This is more buying time than anything, but I'd stuff a bunch of ice and ice packs in the freezer and slowly move them to the fridge once the power goes out. I know when I first started Lantus I got a pen shipped from Chewy and they packed it with ice packs and had a barrier between the pen and the ice, since you don't want the pen to freeze. If you had a small insulated container/lunchbox you could keep moving ice/icepacks from the freezer to the insulated container and leave that in the fridge (with maybe a towel or something in between the ice and the pen).
 
Back
Top