10/7 Jude | AMPS 168

Mary & Jude

Member Since 2024
yesterday's condo

Jude went to the vet earlier today. He had a poop blow out in his box on the way over and peed on the way back 😵‍💫 I wish we could find a way to stop this from occurring, but it does seem to be a firmly entrenched pattern for him. The aftermath is very difficult to clean up as he HATES baths.

His bloodwork was fine and showed nothing unusual.

His urine looked okay--no infection, blood, or ketones. He had trace urine protein. He did have some glucose in his urine, which is not surprising, given the higher numbers he's had lately.

What was surprising is that Jude has gained two pounds in six months, which the doctor said was excessive for a cat. He now weighs 20.60 pounds. We (I) aren't sure what is causing the weight gain. I feed Jude and Hazel two small tins of FF beef pate and FF Savory Centers chicken twice a day. He and Hazel eat at the same time, so it's possible that he's been getting more of her food?? I also have been giving them one small tin of food later at night, which I will now discontinue. The doctor suggested I with withhold a tblsp of their evening meal and save it for the late night snack. That way Jude hopefully won't miss it at his meal and will think he's getting his little late night snack. He suggested moving their food bowls around to different places in the house, and definitely away from their sleeping area, to stimulate activity. He (the doctor) said to try and find little ways to increase activity since Jude is not really an active cat--he's never been. Any advice on this front is welcome.

The doctor also noted that Jude has some arthritis. He's not sure if the arthritis is causing the weight gain or vice versa. I had suspected that Jude was getting fluffier, but had no idea he was getting THAT much fluffier in such a short amount of time. The doctor says that the weight gain is likely what is driving up the bg numbers. He is putting Jude on almost double the dose of Gaba (1.8 ml--he was getting .8) to combat the pain from the arthritis. He doesn't want to put Jude on any NSAIDs, as they are hard on the kidneys. The increased Gaba might have the effect of further sedating him, causing less activity, or it might have the benefit of helping him to feel better so he'll be more active -- we'll see.

He looked in Jude's mouth and said he has some inflammation, but nothing warranting a cleaning at this point. We'll just keep an eye on things.

One good report is that Jude's pH is down from 7.0 to 6.0. Since he was last at the vet, Jude has been getting dL-Methionine daily, which is a supplement they put in UT cat food that reduces the pH. High pH levels can lead to crystals. The UT food itself is too high in carbs for sugar kitties, so some people just feed the supplement. It appears to be working for Jude.

I hope everyone has had a nice day and wishing all a relaxing evening!
 
yesterday's condo

Jude went to the vet earlier today. He had a poop blow out in his box on the way over and peed on the way back 😵‍💫 I wish we could find a way to stop this from occurring, but it does seem to be a firmly entrenched pattern for him. The aftermath is very difficult to clean up as he HATES baths.

His bloodwork was fine and showed nothing unusual.

His urine looked okay--no infection, blood, or ketones. He had trace urine protein. He did have some glucose in his urine, which is not surprising, given the higher numbers he's had lately.

What was surprising is that Jude has gained two pounds in six months, which the doctor said was excessive for a cat. He now weighs 20.60 pounds. We (I) aren't sure what is causing the weight gain. I feed Jude and Hazel two small tins of FF beef pate and FF Savory Centers chicken twice a day. He and Hazel eat at the same time, so it's possible that he's been getting more of her food?? I also have been giving them one small tin of food later at night, which I will now discontinue. The doctor suggested I with withhold a tblsp of their evening meal and save it for the late night snack. That way Jude hopefully won't miss it at his meal and will think he's getting his little late night snack. He suggested moving their food bowls around to different places in the house, and definitely away from their sleeping area, to stimulate activity. He (the doctor) said to try and find little ways to increase activity since Jude is not really an active cat--he's never been. Any advice on this front is welcome.

The doctor also noted that Jude has some arthritis. He's not sure if the arthritis is causing the weight gain or vice versa. I had suspected that Jude was getting fluffier, but had no idea he was getting THAT much fluffier in such a short amount of time. The doctor says that the weight gain is likely what is driving up the bg numbers. He is putting Jude on almost double the dose of Gaba (1.8 ml--he was getting .8) to combat the pain from the arthritis. He doesn't want to put Jude on any NSAIDs, as they are hard on the kidneys. The increased Gaba might have the effect of further sedating him, causing less activity, or it might have the benefit of helping him to feel better so he'll be more active -- we'll see.

He looked in Jude's mouth and said he has some inflammation, but nothing warranting a cleaning at this point. We'll just keep an eye on things.

One good report is that Jude's pH is down from 7.0 to 6.0. Since he was last at the vet, Jude has been getting dL-Methionine daily, which is a supplement they put in UT cat food that reduces the pH. High pH levels can lead to crystals. The UT food itself is too high in carbs for sugar kitties, so some people just feed the supplement. It appears to be working for Jude.

I hope everyone has had a nice day and wishing all a relaxing evening!
Mary thank you for posting an update. I was thinking of you and Jude today. I’m sorry it was another stressful day for him and of course for you as well 🫂😫

It sounds like he’s doing well overall, just needs to lose a little bit of the fluffiness.
Sorry, the arthritis seems to be an issue. I’m sure it’s so common in all of our older kitties (and us too).
I hope you both make a relaxing night, I’m sure you’re both exhausted after that outing and cleanup 😫
Sending lots of love and extra hugs for your sweet boy 🥰😻🐈💗
 
Sorry that it was such a stressful day for you both! Poor Jude (and poor you for having to clean it up and then give him a bath)!

I’ve been a little worried about Moonie’s weight so I’d be curious to hear what you end up trying with Jude. It’s hard to balance “feeding the curve” and maintaining their weight, and Moonie is definitely getting less active now that it’s getting colder outside.

I’m glad his pH went down and his bloodwork came back with nothing to report. I hope you both have a relaxing rest of the day!
 
Poor Jude and you too, Mary. I’m happy to read that nothing major seems to be going on with his health and that he’s just a sweet chunky monkey 🐒

Hopefully, if you’re able to get some weight off of him that will help ease his arthritis a bit. The idea about putting food in different locations to get him moving a bit more is a great one. Hope you are both able to have a relaxing night.
 
yesterday's condo

Jude went to the vet earlier today. He had a poop blow out in his box on the way over and peed on the way back 😵‍💫 I wish we could find a way to stop this from occurring, but it does seem to be a firmly entrenched pattern for him. The aftermath is very difficult to clean up as he HATES baths.

His bloodwork was fine and showed nothing unusual.

His urine looked okay--no infection, blood, or ketones. He had trace urine protein. He did have some glucose in his urine, which is not surprising, given the higher numbers he's had lately.

What was surprising is that Jude has gained two pounds in six months, which the doctor said was excessive for a cat. He now weighs 20.60 pounds. We (I) aren't sure what is causing the weight gain. I feed Jude and Hazel two small tins of FF beef pate and FF Savory Centers chicken twice a day. He and Hazel eat at the same time, so it's possible that he's been getting more of her food?? I also have been giving them one small tin of food later at night, which I will now discontinue. The doctor suggested I with withhold a tblsp of their evening meal and save it for the late night snack. That way Jude hopefully won't miss it at his meal and will think he's getting his little late night snack. He suggested moving their food bowls around to different places in the house, and definitely away from their sleeping area, to stimulate activity. He (the doctor) said to try and find little ways to increase activity since Jude is not really an active cat--he's never been. Any advice on this front is welcome.

The doctor also noted that Jude has some arthritis. He's not sure if the arthritis is causing the weight gain or vice versa. I had suspected that Jude was getting fluffier, but had no idea he was getting THAT much fluffier in such a short amount of time. The doctor says that the weight gain is likely what is driving up the bg numbers. He is putting Jude on almost double the dose of Gaba (1.8 ml--he was getting .8) to combat the pain from the arthritis. He doesn't want to put Jude on any NSAIDs, as they are hard on the kidneys. The increased Gaba might have the effect of further sedating him, causing less activity, or it might have the benefit of helping him to feel better so he'll be more active -- we'll see.

He looked in Jude's mouth and said he has some inflammation, but nothing warranting a cleaning at this point. We'll just keep an eye on things.

One good report is that Jude's pH is down from 7.0 to 6.0. Since he was last at the vet, Jude has been getting dL-Methionine daily, which is a supplement they put in UT cat food that reduces the pH. High pH levels can lead to crystals. The UT food itself is too high in carbs for sugar kitties, so some people just feed the supplement. It appears to be working for Jude.

I hope everyone has had a nice day and wishing all a relaxing evening!
I love hearing this report about Jude's Ph reduction after being on the dl-Methionine. I am so sorry to hear about the bathroom incidents 😭 Shelly is also not super active. She will occasionally play with us if we introduce a long piece of string. We had one of those pointers for awhile, but eventually she tired of that game.
 
I love hearing this report about Jude's Ph reduction after being on the dl-Methionine. I am so sorry to hear about the bathroom incidents 😭 Shelly is also not super active. She will occasionally play with us if we introduce a long piece of string. We had one of those pointers for awhile, but eventually she tired of that game.
Were you the person asking about dL-M? I couldn't remember who asked about it, or I would have gone back to that post and reported. I'm glad to now know that it's working.
 
Were you the person asking about dL-M? I couldn't remember who asked about it, or I would have gone back to that post and reported. I'm glad to now know that it's working.
Yes I was:) Thank you for your response to my post. I too am glad to know. That's great data. When did Jude start taking the dL-M?

I think the only thing holding me back at this point is trying to figure out how to administer it.
Shelly won't eat supplements in her food. I mix her probiotic in water and give it to her via syringe and her Budesonide is also in liquid form...
 
Yes I was:) Thank you for your response to my post. I too am glad to know. That's great data. When did Jude start taking the dL-M?

I think the only thing holding me back at this point is trying to figure out how to administer it.
Shelly won't eat supplements in her food. I mix her probiotic in water and give it to her via syringe and her Budesonide is also in liquid form...
He started six months ago. The one I purchased is apparently tasteless (or at least the taste doesn't bother Jude), and, as I mentioned, I crush it in a pill crusher, and sprinkle into a Tiki treat. Jude gobbles it right down with no issue. ECID, though, I know.
 
I took advantage of the Amazon sale, and purchased this tonight: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0G388D9KD?tag=felinediabetesfdmb-20. I don't know if it will work or not. I'm not sure if he's having uncontrollable explosive diarrhea (he's in the back of the car, so I can't see what's happening), or if he would actually choose to make his way to a litter box when the urge hits. This could be a waste of money 🥴
 
Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Feline Diabetes Message Board - FDMB may be compensated.
Thank you for this update Mary. I feel for you and Jude cause I realize how stressful every visit to the vet is. Poor lil buddy. I know this isn't the best solution but have you considered pet diapers while you take him there and back. It wouldn't prevent him from going but at least ot would be more contained and maybe less of a clean up?

I hope we can join in on Jude weight loss and hopefully together we can come up with some great solutions. Sending so much love and PAWsitive vibes to you and Jude as well as Hazel and the triplets 🐈🐈❤️🐈‍⬛🐈‍⬛🐈‍⬛
Happy almost Furrrrrriday
🙋🏻‍♀️🥰🐾🍁🤗✨️😍
 
Back
Top