? 10/6 Xander AMPS 309 +3 140 +4 113 +5 107 PMPS 228 - Dosing advice?

Albert & Xander

Member Since 2025
Yesterday's post

Good afternoon! I am looking for some dosing advice. We are now in cycle 13 of the latest increase and although we are seeing greens now, we are still stuck in the pattern of very high preshots and the greens are very brief. It seems every cycle he starts very high, takes a large dive down by +2 or +3, and then gradually spikes back up, and then this repeats the next cycle. Is his body for some reason seeing the green numbers as dangerous and having a mini bounce every cycle? Would another increase be a good idea or does he just need more time to adjust to seeing greens again?
 
Have you spoken with your vet to see if they have any theories?
I know they say around here a cat needs what they need for insulin dosing. And things do change over time.
But it seems something changed for Xander.
Has he had recent labs done to see if anything shows up?

Hoping you may get some more concrete advice, Albert and sending vines for better cycles for your sweet boy.
It does seem the dose isn't taking him too low, so he could probably be ok for an increase (not giving advice, just observation here).
๐Ÿƒ ๐Ÿƒ ๐Ÿƒ ๐Ÿƒ ๐Ÿƒ ๐Ÿƒ ๐Ÿˆ:bighug:๐Ÿˆ
 
Have you spoken with your vet to see if they have any theories?
I know they say around here a cat needs what they need for insulin dosing. And things do change over time.
But it seems something changed for Xander.
Has he had recent labs done to see if anything shows up?

Hoping you may get some more concrete advice, Albert and sending vines for better cycles for your sweet boy.
It does seem the dose isn't taking him too low, so he could probably be ok for an increase (not giving advice, just observation here).
๐Ÿƒ ๐Ÿƒ ๐Ÿƒ ๐Ÿƒ ๐Ÿƒ ๐Ÿƒ ๐Ÿˆ:bighug:๐Ÿˆ

Thank you ๐Ÿค—

I haven't, it seems a dreaded vet visit may be a next step soon though. His last labs were done in April. It's just odd because he's actually doing better now in every other aspect I can think of than he was when his numbers were better - eating, pooping, playing, etc.
 
He does need to go up in dose. It's been 7 days on this dose and his nadirs are over 90.

I don't know if the pink preshots are him bouncing from the greens or whether he just needs more insulin. Does he get food at +1?
 
He does need to go up in dose. It's been 7 days on this dose and his nadirs are over 90.

I don't know if the pink preshots are him bouncing from the greens or whether he just needs more insulin. Does he get food at +1?
Okay, I can increase his dose soon. It's odd he's already needed 3 increases in such a short period of time.

He eats smaller meals at a time, so he eats several portions from preshot to +3. He also eats a small snack at +9 in the evening.
 
Yeah. How are his teeth? Dental issues can interfere with regulation.



Would he be OK without this? Or with eating the snack sooner? It's possible it might be contributing to the higher preshots. What % carbs is this snack?

At his last visit, the vet said his gums looked fine but he does have a decent amount of calculus. He doesn't seem to be showing any signs of mouth discomfort, but know they can hide pain really well. I am planning on going to the vet soon to get him checked out for anything else going on causing these numbers, should I prioritize the dental?

I can try without the +9 snack. In the past, the +9 snack really helped bring his preshot numbers down, but he was also on a much smaller dose.
 
I am planning on going to the vet soon to get him checked out for anything else going on causing these numbers, should I prioritize the dental?
Yes, it might make sense to get his teeth checked out and see if he needs a dental. Let's see if the next increase brings him into better numbers. It's possible that for whatever reason he needs more insulin for a while and he could go back down in dosing after he gets to good numbers/a good dose.

I can try without the +9 snack. In the past, the +9 snack really helped bring his preshot numbers down, but he was also on a much smaller dose.
Yes, the +9 snack helps when they are at a tiny dose and their pancreas are contributing a bulk of the insulin. In such cases food can cause the pancreas to produce insulin and bring down the BG. At higher doses, food after the nadir can reduce the duration of insulin and contribute to higher preshots.
 
Back
Top