? 10/5 Xander AMPS 288 +3 114 +4 85 +5 107 PMPS 269 +3 96 +4 120Dosing advice

Albert & Xander

Member Since 2025
Yesterday's post

Good afternoon! I am looking for some dosing advice. We are now in cycle 11 of the latest increase and although we are seeing greens now, we are still stuck in the pattern of very high preshots. It seems every cycle he starts very high, takes a large dive down by +2 or +3, and then gradually spikes back up, and then this repeats the next cycle. Is his body for some reason seeing the green numbers as dangerous and having a mini bounce every cycle? Would another increase be a good idea or does he just need more time to adjust to seeing greens again?
 
Have you guys ever experimented with higher carb LC by any chance? Maybe not an option if Xander is a picky eater, but for Moonie at least, she flattened a lot better when we started feeding 5-7% carbs vs. 0-3%. We now front load her carbs before her +2 since that's when she'd drop. And for her, the fast drops are the number 1 predictor of bouncing (more than the absolute number) - we're definitely not perfect at catching and managing it, but the higher carb LC has definitely helped.
 
Have you guys ever experimented with higher carb LC by any chance? Maybe not an option if Xander is a picky eater, but for Moonie at least, she flattened a lot better when we started feeding 5-7% carbs vs. 0-3%. We now front load her carbs before her +2 since that's when she'd drop. And for her, the fast drops are the number 1 predictor of bouncing (more than the absolute number) - we're definitely not perfect at catching and managing it, but the higher carb LC has definitely helped.
I have! There was a period long ago where I had to give him a higher carb food to prevent him from dipping too low. He LOVES gravy.

I feel that giving this would prevent him from dropping as quickly but would also keep him higher overall, eliminating those few hours of green. But I could be wrong. Complicated knowing if this is a bouncing issue or just a duration issue.
 
I have! There was a period long ago where I had to give him a higher carb food to prevent him from dipping too low. He LOVES gravy.

I feel that giving this would prevent him from dropping as quickly but would also keep him higher overall, eliminating those few hours of green. But I could be wrong. Complicated knowing if this is a bouncing issue or just a duration issue.
I struggle with that question too - I tell myself that I'd rather have her be flat + inject more insulin to get around that issue, but we still experience bouncing and it's an ongoing debate for me. Part of the many mysteries of feline diabetes!

I do think we'll keep the higher carb LC food though, because Moonie is a gravy fiend and she really lights up during meal times. The bad news is though she put on some weight whereas she was losing weight on the 0-3% carb food (because she hated it). So many trade-offs!
 
Back
Top