? 10/5 Henri; PMPS 74 Reduced to .1 U tonight

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Katie_Waz, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...educed-dose-is-effective.236357/#post-2650145

Hey all, I have a quick question about dose reduction and the depot. So I reduced Henri's dose yesterday morning from .5-.25 Units.
    So I know the depot can can last 4-6 cycles. Should she drop below 50 in that 4-6 cycle when the depot is still in play...do I maintain the .25 dose reduction or reduce again. My thought is that if I do it during the depot, then it may have dropped below 50 bc of the extra insulin and not be a true reading.

Her +1.5 is 51 and we are in the early part of our 3rd cycle.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’d feed the curve to try and prevent her dropping under 50 if you will be home. If she does drop I would take the reduction snd go back up if it fails. Others might feel differently. To me it’s safety first and a failed reduction is not going to hurt anything. You just go right back up.

Katie_Waz likes this.
  3. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

She just dropped below 50. Just to 49. I caught it bc she gets very vocal and moody. Even a little growly. I gave her some High calorie, low carb food. Usually when this happens i can bring her up nice and slowly without having to do the HC...but I will if I need to. The higher calorie food means she eats less volume so she's more likely to eat enough over the course of an hour or 2 to bring her back up

So you think I should reduce to .12 tonight then? Oh my goodness....she could be getting off insulin soon!

JOJI and Kit likes this.
  4. tiffmaxee

I would take the reduction if she were my cat. It might fail but it might work. She’s been in normal numbers for almost all of the time lately. I just don’t see there’s anything to lose. It’s early so see what others say.

Katie_Waz likes this.
  5. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

OK...thanks for the input. I'm tempted to take it...especially since tomorrow is my long work day and it will only be my husband being able to check in on her occasionally. I get so nervous on days I work full days lol

I'll keep the post up with the question though to see what others might have to say :)

So far I brought her up to 55, I just fed again and I'll test again in 9 min

thebigfuzz likes this.
  6. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

I just wanted to update the post... I think posting a new reply does this?

Can you guys take a look at my spreadsheet? I gave Henri her dose reduction down to .25 U yesterday morning so we are currently in our 3rd cycle. I know when using Lantus, it can take 4-6 cycles for the depot to run out and I had also read that it can release faster giving a bit of an insulin rush. So being that Henri dropped below 50 (49@2.9) and that we are still being influenced by the depot...would you lower again bc of the drop below 50 or would you wait a few days until the depot is no longer an influence to her numbers.

I am temped to reduce her dose again as tomorrow I work a full day and even though my husband works from home, he can't monitor her as closely and there's no guarantee I will be able to run home to check on her. But at the same time I don't want to reduce it too soon. If I reduce it too soon, will all be lost?

7. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

Also, if I do reduce...do i reduce the dose to .12 units or cut it out completely

8. tiffmaxee

Katie_Waz likes this.
  9. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

I would take the reduction to 0.1. If the reduction fails after a few days of rising numbers, all hope isn’t lost, you just go back up again. No biggie.

Depending on your preshot value tomorrow am, you can always re-evaluate whether to give insulin or not if you cannot monitor. Tomorrow morning, try to get a +11.5 and post here for advice if you are unsure.

Katie_Waz and tiffmaxee like this.
  10. tiffmaxee

Maybe reducing tonight will help for tomorrow. If you need to skip the depot will be drained and then yiu see what 0.1 will do. The next dose after that is a drop.

Katie_Waz likes this.
  11. thebigfuzz

Henry is looking great by the way! :D:D:D

12. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

Attached Files:

13. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

I think ill take the reduction tonight...if she goes high tonight...over 120 I think? Then I can raise her back up in the morning?

14. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

Thanks! That's a great idea. I think ill take the reduction tonight.

So the consensus seems i signs definitely take the reduction then. Im super excited! It seems like remission is within grasp!

15. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

Thank you!

16. thebigfuzz

I don’t think you would go up again that soon. You want to give it a chance to see what happens, unless the numbers say to reduce again...though there isn’t much left to reduce to ;)

Katie_Waz likes this.
  17. tiffmaxee

I agree. You need to give time for her to adjust.

Katie_Waz likes this.
  18. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

Ok...so i just take the reduction and monitor her for a few days to make sure it takes? I guess until she drops again in which case I do that barely any insulin drop thing.. or if she spikes really high in which case if have to increase

tiffmaxee and thebigfuzz like this.
  19. thebigfuzz

Yes, that sounds right. The increase back to 0.25 would only be after a few days at 0.1 if the numbers are trending upwards...though I hope for the best :D

20. tiffmaxee

The depot may still be in play so others may suggest you don’t reduce. My opinion would be to try it. You have time to decide.

Katie_Waz likes this.
  21. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi! I agree with others to take the reduction. Rex took reductions one after another and they all held. If it doesn't hold, you can always go back up after a few cycles. Good luck.. it's exciting!!

22. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

will do. Thanks!

23. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

I think I will take the reduction. In the very least I have lass of a chance of her dropping too low when I'm not home as much to monitor her tomorrow. I also read that with a lesser dose the depot is smaller so hopefully it's over with. I stopped feeding her this morning when I got her up to 59 and she's held in the 60's and now low 70's at +4. I did give her a teeny snack just now bc I was afraid if I waited until dinner she would be too hungry since her eating schedule is now a little off. Hopefully its a lower shoot today which I think should help keep her nice and low with this lower dose

24. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The lesser depot is likely not over yet as this is only cycle 3. But for tomorrow's safety you can try the reduction and see what happens.

Katie_Waz likes this.
  25. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

That's awesome! Toe beans crossed! I have my caliper set and ready to go with our teeny dose lol it's crazy how small it is! I am super excited that she may be going into remission or in the very least...need only need a very small dose :)

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  26. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

I have a question...if shes pulling from the depot still...would a .1 dose still be too high and could it cause another drop below 50 again? Would her using the depot be a slow enough method to wean her off insulin if shes heading towards remission?

I'm just trying to understand lol I feel like 1 min I get it and then later I'm confused again lol

27. Wendy&Neko

We've had hundreds of cats go from 0.25 units to 0.1 units with no issue. The 0.1 dose itself won't be too high, it's not even certain the 0.25 unit dose was too high because it could have been the 0.5 unit dose still somewhat influencing the cycle today.

Katie_Waz likes this.
  28. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

Ah...ok

Thanks for clarifying

I'll get the hang of it...or not...before she hopefully goes into remission lol

tiffmaxee and Wendy&Neko like this.
  29. Wendy&Neko

There is also the curve ball that cats sometimes like to throw at us. Sometimes you get cats that literally scream down the dosing scale. Henri seems to be on a more gentle slide.:D

Katie_Waz likes this.
  30. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

Lol yikes! Sounds terrifying! Im glad Henri is being gentle with me lol

tiffmaxee likes this.
  31. tiffmaxee

Congrats on the reduction. Fingers and paws crossed. :D

Katie_Waz likes this.
  32. Katie_Waz

Katie_Waz Member

Thanks!!