10/25 Ragnar, Woot woot! OJT'ing along!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jane and Ragnar, Oct 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jane and Ragnar

Jane and Ragnar Member

Ragnar has just finished the first 7 days of his OJT. He is doing great, numbers stellar, lots of energy, zooming around and jumping on and off the cat tree. I am so happy! I'm still having to work hard to ensure that he eats enough since he needs to gain weight, but I know that will take some time.

I know that I did not follow the rules for getting to OJT but I felt that since his diabetes was triggered by recent steroids and was of such short duration prior to diagnosis, it was unlikely that his pancreas needed a very slow taper.

I wanted to say that I am very grateful to everyone here who took time to read my posts and answer my questions, and to the many, many people who provided the information that is available in the stickies and who have answered countless questions posted by other owners. I read the stickies over and over, browsed the threads and read some of the related scientific articles that were mentioned. I have absolutely no doubt that I would still be pumping in unnecessary insulin if I hadn't been able to educate myself here. My vet got me started right with Lantus at an appropriate dose, pointed me to a few videos on home-testing and to Mark's Marine, and while I do appreciate that, it was not nearly enough support.

Extra shout-out to @Wendy&Neko for pointing me toward considering a decrease in insulin rather than an increase when the high numbers were blinding me. I think that started the quick downward trend that got him to his OJT trial so quickly.

Fingers crossed for the remaining 7 days!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

You know where o come should things change...CONGRATULATIONS!:bighug::cool::bighug:

Jane and Ragnar likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Woohoo! :woot::woot: What a wonderful Ragnar report! Sounds like he's doing great. :D

Good luck with the rest of the trial - it's officially 14 days of no insulin before we say officially remission, but looking good so far.:cool: As you can guess, sticking to low carb food and no steroids in his future.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. Jane and Ragnar

Jane and Ragnar Member

For sure!!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.