10/24 Henry AMPS-377, +6-305

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Golf2015, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Golf2015

Golf2015 Well-Known Member

Maybe a good sign for Henry

This is a first for Henry 305 with 1.0 Units since this whole thing began.

Thank You

Previous Thread

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Bandit's Mom likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Maybe Henry's on the move down?

Just an FYI, if it's possible with your schedule, you might want to mix up the +6 tests a bit. Although +6 is the typical Lantus schedule, most cats don't like being typical. :cat: At some point it's be good to do some tests at other times, maybe even a mini curve, so you can pinpoint when Henry likes to onset and nadir. That'll give you a better idea of times to test.
    From the New to the Group Sticky Note:
    Learn how YOUR kitty is responding to insulin:
    • Onset - the length of time before insulin reaches the bloodstream & begins lowering blood glucose
    • Peak/Nadir - the lowest point in the cycle
    • Duration - the length of time insulin continues to lower blood glucose
    • How to do a Curve - a simple explanation

3. Golf2015

Will take readings next three days at the followings times:

Sunday (10/25) - AMPS, AMPS +6, AMPS +9, & PMPS

Monday (10/26) - AMPS, AMPS +6, AMPS +8, & PMPS

Tuesday (10/27) - AMPS, AMPS +6, AMPS +10, & PMPS

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It's a good idea to scatter readings around the spreadsheet. Some cats nadir early, some late.

5. Golf2015

Will perform pre +6 reading too

6. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Henry has tried my patience pants :p I was hoping we could get him into some better numbers with a bit of fast tracking SLGS-style but, if you are willing, I’d like to suggest that we get a bit more aggressive because he’s not even showing any indication of numbers below 300.

Even though you are not doing TR due to the dry food, we sometimes find it necessary to follow the TR guidelines in situations like this to try and keep the glucose toxicity from getting too much. If you are there to monitor, my suggestion is to increase the dose to 1.5u in the morning as long as you don’t see any lower yellow numbers or lower tonight.

Increasing the dose by 0.5u after four cycles requires that you test more. We typically recommend that, in addition to the PSs, you also get a +2 test both cycles and then, mix it up a bit during the daytime cycle as Wendy suggested. At night, in addition to the +2, a before bed test is good. I know you feed at +6 so that would work, too. Depending on when you get up in the morning, if you can get a +10 or +11 from the nighttime cycle occasionally, that is also helpful data.

What do you think?

NOTE: this dosing advice is solely for Henry. Please do not copy this technique without assistance from an experienced member.

7. Golf2015

Yellow numbers tonight right?

Yes, I'm willing, so I should check Henry tomorrow after 1.5 unit @ 6:00am (AMPS) AMPS +2, AMPS +6, AMPS +9, & AMPS + 12. - Do I need more checks?

During the vet supervision his curve never broke until 4.0 Units

But Henry weighed around 23 pounds then now he's 21.5 pounds. I assuming body mass can influence numbers?

8. Marje and Gracie

Always check before shooting so get the AMPS test and then shoot. AMPS +12 is PMPS :p:)

If you see a big drop between AMPS and +2, you’ll want to test before +6....depending on the drop, no later than +4. The rest is fine.

You can’t base dose on the curves the vet did or had you do. That’s not enough data. No, body mass doesn’t affect the BG. I’ve seen really large cats on low doses in all green and kitty bitty cats on large doses and little regulation. A cat needs whatever insulin it needs.

9. Golf2015

Thank You Marje for clearing that up for me about body mass

I always check before shooting (ALWAYS) I'll then do a +2 (BIG DROP (100)??) If drop is large +3 or +4 ==>if not a large drop +6?

I have interpret your message correct?

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  10. Marje and Gracie

Correct...if he’s down 100 by +2, I’d check at either +3 or +4. Let your meter be your guide. The thing is, onset is usually around +2 so if he’s down 100 by then. We don’t know if he dropped 25 the first hour and 75 the second or 100 the second.

11. Golf2015

Marje just check his BG 475 @ PMPS +6

Marje and Gracie likes this.