? 10/24/2020 Jada AMPS 161 Question about constipation.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by James Little, Oct 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Little

James Little Member

In the weeks since the diagnosis of diabetes Jada's stool is now very hard and more round. Frequently they are outside of the litter box. There have been a lot a changes for her since September. Jada's diet has changed completely. She gets injections twice daily and she gets her glucose checked regularly.

Does anyone have and home remedies or treatments that we can apply?

Thanks

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi James,

It's possible that the diet change may be affecting the nature of Jada's stool. The first thing to make sure of before starting a home treatment for constipation is that there is no obstruction in the gut (e.g. a 'stuck stool') otherwise any treatment could be the equivalent of building up pressure behind a dam. Keeping a record of how frequently your kitty is pooping helps but if you are at all unsure then a visit to the vet for an examination is indicated.

Once any possible obstruction has been ruled out then adding a little canned pure pumpkin (NOT the pie filling!) or psyllium husk can help. Also mixing a little Miralax into food can help draw water into the stool. It's important to go slow with the additions because a little can go a long way. There is lots of helpful information at the following site:

felineconstipation.org

I've just had a look at Jada's spreadsheet and seen the results of the curve you ran yesterday. Assuming that your spreadsheet is correct and the curve readings were on an Alphatrak then the current dose you're giving Jada is too high. The lower limit of the normal reference range on the Alphatrak is 68mg/dL. The 65 result indicates an immediate dose reduction is needed. The 55 and 53 readings are WAY too low.

If you have changed to a human meter since setting up the spreadsheet, the lower limit is 50mg/dL. If yesterday's readings were taken on a human meter then Jada is running very, very close to the threshold, and the curve results indicate that for Jada's safety closer monitoring of AM and PM nadir level is needed so that you will know when the dose needs to be reduced.

If you're using Vetsulin or Novolin N, or using Lantus/Levemir and following SLGS, then dose reductions are indicated at a higher nadir. I don't know which insulin you are using so can't point you to more specific information about dose adjustments.

When you have a minute, it would be a great help if you could add the name of Jada's insulin to Jada's spreadsheet and, ideally, set up a signature for your posts with the type of insulin and meter you're using so that myself and other members replying to your posts can see this info straight away. It'll help us to make better suggestions and also save you having to answer questions about your meter and insulin types when you're looking for assistance. :)

Mogs

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  4. jt and trouble (GA)

instructions for setting up signature:
    • Click on Signature. This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
      • There is a limit of two lines which may include two links; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc. This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
      • Add any other text, such as
      • Caregiver & kitty's name (optional)
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  5. James Little

James Little Member

Yes we are adding water.

6. jt and trouble (GA)

Give that link a read lots of GOOD info there. ;):coffee:

7. James Little

James Little Member

Thanks for the information. I don't believe there is a blockage. Jada left a rather large package in the box a few minutes ago. The consistency could have been less firm.

We are new to the world of feline diabetes. After I ran the numbers yesterday we decided to lower her dose back to 1 unit twice a day from 1.5.

I will definitely the insulin and meter info to my signature

8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

That's a promising sign, James! :D

Glad to hear you've reduced the dose. (((Jada)))

Once upon a time we all were, James, and the early days are really overwhelming but with a little bit of time it does become second nature. :) Be sure to post any time you have questions or things you're not sure about. We'll do all we can to help.

Mogs

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi James it's important to get a pre shot # at night and a +2 at least to see if you will
    need to monitor Jada any longer,most cats usually drop lower at night :cat:
    Also are shots in the AM.
    Is there a reason you can't get a test in during the morning
    after her pre shot?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

11. James Little

James Little Member

Working on that. Trouble is I am the one who does the testing. That means the AM test will be performed 3 hours before Jada eats, but that is the way it has to be. The most I can hope for is a early morning test 3 hours before eating, PM pre shot, and a +2 on days when I work. Another issue is I have to ambush the kitty to test her. She is now associating me with testing.

12. jt and trouble (GA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.