10/23 Cosmo AMPS 452, +2 311, +4 265, +6 176, +9 117, +10 126, +12 133, PMPS 136 token

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by thebigfuzz, Oct 23, 2020.

1. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Yesterday:
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...-191-8-212-pmps-261-2-241-3-182-4-200.237319/

Oh Cosmo :rolleyes: What happened between +4 and this morning? DH and I each set an alarm for +6.5, bit we both must have turned them off and drifted back to sleep :( I’ll bet there was a beach party with some late night swimming for him to bounce this morning. Or...is he doing a windup for today’s dropsie. He likes to do that sometimes. Sigh...

Well, on the upside...Cosmo is good, just grumbly and sighing, which he does with a sharp rise or fall in BG.

Be good Cosmo :cat:

Julia Rae and Butters & Lyla like this.
  2. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Oh, I've turned off my alarm so many times :bighug: I just recently started changing the noise for my alarms for the different hours (I use my phone for Jax's alarms) - it has helped.

Hope Cosmo plays nice and you all have a great day :bighug:

Julia Rae and thebigfuzz like this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

They do like to keep us guessing. I hope Cosmo slides down slowly today.

Julia Rae and thebigfuzz like this.
  4. thebigfuzz

+2 311. So dropsie...probably was winding up to come down...he likes to take the corners fast :eek: DH is home and I am at work...as usual :p:facepalm:

5. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Predictable. :p
    Slow down, Cosmo! A little less drama, please. Butters and I are watching you. :cat:
    Have a good day, Tanya.

thebigfuzz likes this.
  6. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Just stopped by to say thank you for your help yesterday, hopefully the new dose is the one for sensible 12 hourly dosing for Lulu.
    Cosmo’s spreadsheet is showing some great colour changes lately :cat:

Slow down on them corners Cosmo!

thebigfuzz likes this.
  7. thebigfuzz

264 @ +4.

can’t update the SS at work today... ant seem to open the document on our wifi :(

8. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Just remember those higher numbers are most likely more familiar to him than the lower numbers - if that makes any sense at all. It just seem like kitties who are in higher numbers for a long period of time, easily slip back into those higher numbers...it's kinda like driving through the mountains and then the foothills and then another mountain or two before you finally get into the flats...it doesn't all happen at once...kind of a slow eventual approach to the low flat lands...

Each time the Lantus depot builds it can be depleted by various things...and then takes a bit of time to rebuild...and then you'll see those numbers sliding down again...try to look at the big picture...his numbers overall are looking better...he's just in a little bounce right now - don't beat yourself up for not getting up last night...I think he was on the climbing side of the mountain for most of the night...

I hope you have a pleasant evening Tanya :)

thebigfuzz likes this.
  9. thebigfuzz

+9 117 :eek: slow your roll Cosmo :confused:

10. thebigfuzz

Hi! Still at work, but will be home by +10.5. Any eyes to advise on tonight’s shot if he isn’t coming up or still sliding?

11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Can DH get a +11 or +11.5 and post that? A little early to say where he'll be at shot time or what he'll do between now and then.

thebigfuzz likes this.
  12. thebigfuzz

Yep, we can get a +11. His +10 was up slightly and we fed until the very last second.

13. thebigfuzz

I’m home now :)

14. thebigfuzz

+12 133 - Stalling...

dose advice requested based on his dropsie today.

15. thebigfuzz

10/13 113 gave token dose. Earned reduction.
    10/15 184 shot full dose. Almost earned reduction
    10/17 166 shot full dose. Almost earned reduction
    10/18 148 shot full dose. Almost earned reduction
    10/18 178 shot full dose.
    10/19 mildly symptomatic low number event (31)

16. Vyktors Mum

If you can monitor (which it looks like you always do) I’d shoot, he seems to be on his way back up and it’s likely to be pretty ugly in the morning if you don’t

thebigfuzz likes this.
  17. thebigfuzz

He is eating and we would like to give something. I think we have decided on a token dose of 1 unit.

I have to remember that he had a very low number event recently, making him more sensitive to insulin, we feed MC wet and HC kibble, so we have less resources to handle low numbers, and I have no idea what is going to happen tonight from his slide day.

No history of ketones. We test weekly or when high.

18. thebigfuzz

But, we can monitor :)

19. Vyktors Mum

The lows even with some symptoms don’t necessarily make a kitty more sensitive just can do - but I had missed that you already feed MC food :banghead: some is definitely better than none and it might be better to err on the side of caution.

thebigfuzz likes this.
  20. thebigfuzz

All good. We follow SLGS because Cosmo has megacolon that is treated primarily with diet right now, which is RC gastrointestinal fiber response kibble. Probably the most HC food one can eat. :eek: but necessary for those daily #2’s. We have experimented with food combos to reduce his carbs over time and fairly recently and seeing good things! Right now, he eats:

1/4 can MD wet with 25 pcs gastro kibble at preshot, +2 and +5 on each cycle.

He seems to have a fast onset and is often lower at +2.

21. Vyktors Mum

Does him being fed HC food regularly make the HC less effective when trying to raise his numbers?

22. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Like Serryn said, a low numbers event doesn't necessarily make them more sensitive to insulin. I caught Neko a couple times in the 20's :eek: and it didn't impact her as being more sensitive. She did however, have an overfull depot.

You should be able to get good sleep with a token dose. Be curious to see where he is at next test. Looks like 148 is the lowest you've shot full dose.

thebigfuzz likes this.
  23. thebigfuzz

I did hear about the potential for sensitivity, although I’m not sure how long it takes to see it if it is true for Cosmo? it doesn’t look like it yet.

Yes, 148 was the lowest full dose so far. On a more “normal” day, we might have gone for it. Maybe that 31 has us feeling cautious?

We will still get a +2 tonight and see if the 1 unit does anything for him :)

24. thebigfuzz

We have less tools in our tool box for bringing up low numbers than those feeding LC wet. The insulin brings him into nice blues, greens, and even the very, very odd lime on HC and kibble. HC is just his normal food. Nothing out of ordinary, for him.

25. Vyktors Mum

I think you would have seen signs of sensitivity already if it was going to happen, my understanding is that it would be apparent very quickly.

So, and sorry for harping on this it’s just not something I’m aware of so trying to understand, if Cosmo goes a bit low and you want to bump him HC food doesn’t work?

26. thebigfuzz

Hmmm...maybe it works a little? Seems to depend on how low, momentum, etc. We haven’t had many of those yet. Though, he eats HC at each meal and snack, yet he can still get down there on his dose. There can be a lot of momentum...whether that’s Cosmo or the HC, I am not sure.

I think that’s why cats that eat kibble are excluded from TR? The low shot thresholds might not be a good idea? More insulin is probably needed to counteract the carbs.

27. thebigfuzz

Cosmo ate 1/4 can MD (14%) with 25 pieces of gastro kibble (I’m not even sure how high it is. Maybe 30%) at am preshot and +2 today, yet dropped almost 200 in 4 hrs :eek:

28. thebigfuzz

We also have 29% gastro wet food (chunks in gravy) that seems to work ok.

29. Vyktors Mum

A higher carb diet definitely does require higher doses of insulin - case in point Lulu lol look what happened with her when the dry went! So Cosmo’s dose is already higher than it would be if he was on a LC diet to take that into account.

So I would think that means he’ll still have big drops etc. the same as a cat on a LC diet that is on a comparatively lower dose. But I’m not sure if that means HC isn’t still a ‘normal’ part of your toolbox. Hmmmm, maybe someone that knows more about that will happen along with the answer, or we will find out from experience when Cosmo gives you a chance to experiment more :woot:

Nice study session :bookworm::)

thebigfuzz likes this.