10/23/20 Squeaky! AMPS 423 PMPS 272

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jan D & Squeaky, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Jan D & Squeaky

Jan D & Squeaky Well-Known Member

2. Jan D & Squeaky

Hi Folks,

I actually purchased the relion prime to use for Squeaky since it seems most people use that one here and it seemed like it would be easy for everyone if I just went along.

After yesterday, after getting 2 E13 errors on the Relion prime meter IN A ROW, I got out a Bayer Contour next meter that I had for myself. Seems that it takes less blood to use, which could be an important factor in our successful search for remission, considering how hard it is to get blood from Squeaky's ears.

Anyway, I did get a nice amount of blood this morning and I used both meters on it. Results:

Relion= 423
    Contour = 409

The contour seems superior, it beeps when it has enough blood and it really does seem to use a lot less.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks much,
    Jan

3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Which ever you find comfortable and easy to use is fine. The important thing is you are testing.

FYI the readings you got on both are basically the same given meters vary up to 20%. Pick 1 meter to use consistently and stick with it or you will make yourself nuts.

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

It's up to you to pick a meter you like using and works for Squeaky. Like Paula said don't compare meter numbers. You'll drive yourself crazy. I know from personal experience. Just pick one and go with those numbers.

Jan D & Squeaky likes this.
  5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice to see some blue last night. I hope Squeaky comes back down soon.

6. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks for your good wishes!!!!!! Nice to hear from you. I appreciate it!!!!!!

7. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks! I'll check prices for the strips and probably migrate to the Contour Next. Anything that makes this easier for us is a good idea!!!!

8. Jan D & Squeaky

Hi Friends,

Trying to decide if I need to switch to go slow.

If the diabetes is due to the steroid prednisilone, and since we have taken him off it, wouldn't he be likely to go into remission anyway even on go low go slow?

Without me losing as much sleep?

Thanks a bunch,
    Jan

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    thebigfuzz likes this.
  9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

What day was the last day for prednisolone? I think this is the 4th day without? It's not a guarantee he'll go into remission because he's off of pred, though his dose might go down. His pancreas still needs to heal, which means spending time in healing numbers.

It's your choice as to which dosing method you choose.

10. Jan D & Squeaky

Okay good to understand that he needs to spend time in healing numbers for his pancreas to heal. I take it those healing numbers are 50 to 100?? If not please let me know for my understanding.

Here is my fear Wendy, about TR...... I will have a challenging day, be exhausted and not be able to stay awake on one of the nights if his numbers are below 100, or below 50. Any thoughts about this? Surely others have faced this challenge?

11. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

We face that challenge all the time... :)

On really exhausting days, you can get a test just before bed - and if the numbers are a little sketchy you can feed some medium or higher carb food to slow things down. I use an auto-feeder to provide regular snacks for Luci at time like that - and times when I can't be at home for a longer period of time. Life happens and we want our kitties to be safe - however there are times when we do have to leave, and sometimes we do need to sleep.

Fortunately for me, DH tends to stay up quite late and can get a few tests in the evenings as I have to get up early and I have a demanding job that can keep me tied up (like today) from 5 a.m. until 5 p.m. - whew! I'm exhausted!!!

So just to be safe, get yourself an auto-feeder; get that test before going to bed and feed accordingly. Hopefully the perfect storm of being exhausted AND hitting a night of low numbers won't happen too often...it does happen - as you can see from many people here who are up long long nights to test...

If I have to, I'll set an alarm and get up to test Luci a couple of times in the middle of the night and feed accordingly...

I hope this is helpful :)

12. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks Sue!!! I'm still waffling! However I am changing meters to Contour Next, it works on very little blood and I think it will ease one part of the stress. If we are getting blood testing done easier, then testing him multiple times a night will be easier.

Still worried about exhaustion but I haven't decided yet. Sounds like you have it managed! Thanks for your comments.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    thebigfuzz likes this.
  13. Jan D & Squeaky

Sue, I'm wondering about the low carb food. Squeaky right now eats exclusively pork. I have only found one pork cat food and it's 98% pork. Do you think there is anything I could add to his food to increase the carbs? So I don't have to switch proteins, which would not be a good idea right now. Hey thanks a bunch!!!!