10/2 Ivy Amps 259, +3 242, +6.5 154, +9 208, Pmps 292, +3 189 Libre; T4 is High Lab Update

Staci & Ivy

Member Since 2022
9/29/26
Amps 259 Libre

I finally got Ivy’s lab information back the other day, or at least most of it.
Her B12 level is higher, >1000, while that’s a good level, she’s also being supplemented weekly, so the real question is is she absorbing the B12 well enough, and can I space out the dosing longer than weekly? Not sure on that.

We are still waiting for the MMA test to come back from TAMU, apparently they only run that test on Thursdays, so it will probably take several days and I won’t hear back until next week on that test.
Unfortunately, her T4 level went up to 9.0 😫which means she is not euthyroid any longer, and the thyroid is not under control.

That number was shocking to all of us, we have no idea why suddenly she would jump so high
(On 8/6/24 T4 was 3.4).
So the vet’s office recommended increasing her a.m. dose to 7.5 mg and keeping the PM dose at 5 mg and retest probably in a month.
My main vet is at a conference right now, so my interaction with him is limited, via email occasionally.
Her liver values were higher as was her ProBNP (heart value). They feel that both are related to the higher T4.

Hopefully, if we can bring the thyroid back into range that should improve 🙏
I can’t imagine what could have bumped her up so high all of a sudden.
I did start a new bottle of methimazole pills on 8/12, but that could be completely coincidental.
My one vet feels she might not be absorbing the med properly, or the thyroid tumor could have just grown suddenly, bumping her out of range 😭😭

My holistic Vet wrote this:
Elevated liver values do match the elevated thyroid levels, and I suspect
the hyperthyroidism is aggravating the heart causing elevated Pro BNP.

Cannot explain the elevated K+- could be artifact or possibly related to the
kidneys. Generally, above 7.5 symptoms of high K+ are present.

Progression of kidney disease questionable:
Creatinine is a little better.
BUN is a little worse
SDMA and PO4 a little worse
Urine Specific gravity - a little better
Amylase (which is eliminated by the kidneys and usually is elevated with
CRF) is much better.
Elevated potassium??
HCT stable and no anemia

So very stressed about these labs 😫

She’s eating well and pooping well. Pu/pd is somewhat increased (kidney function?)
Weight is relatively stable.

Keeping a close eye on her as always.
Safe surfing all 🏄‍♀️🌊
IMG_6548.jpeg
 
I'm so sorry about the high T4 value - you and Ivy are juggling so much. Fortunately, she has the world's best mama who'll do everything possible to help her. I really hope that the new protocol helps bring her thyroid back into range and you'll see improvement next month.

Sending you and Ivy lots of love and healing vines and wishing you both a wonderful calm Friday. 🍃 🍃 🍃 🍃 🍃 🍃 🍃

Ivy is as regal and beautiful as always on that carpet! 😻🐈👸
 
So I’m guessing you’ve addressed this somewhere along the line, but is she not a candidate for I-131? Charlie became a train wreck later in life, but in hindsight I suspect the start of everything going wrong was the hyperT. Wish I’d have done I-131 earlier.
 
So I’m guessing you’ve addressed this somewhere along the line, but is she not a candidate for I-131? Charlie became a train wreck later in life, but in hindsight I suspect the start of everything going wrong was the hyperT. Wish I’d have done I-131 earlier.
I spoke to one hospital who knows her and knows she’s diabetic, is a terrible patient and told me they won’t take her.
I also have concerns that she won’t eat if I’m not there to coax her.
😭
 
I'm so sorry about the high T4 value - you and Ivy are juggling so much. Fortunately, she has the world's best mama who'll do everything possible to help her. I really hope that the new protocol helps bring her thyroid back into range and you'll see improvement next month.

Sending you and Ivy lots of love and healing vines and wishing you both a wonderful calm Friday. 🍃 🍃 🍃 🍃 🍃 🍃 🍃

Ivy is as regal and beautiful as always on that carpet! 😻🐈👸
Thank you Connie 🥰
 
Sometimes you just have to go with how they are feeling rather than the numbers. It can make you crazy trying to figure out why the numbers are worse or better. So many variables when dealing with multiple illnesses. Hang in there. Ivy doesnt look worried. 💚
Thanks Jo 🥰
I wish I could be so zen. Just not in my dna 😫
 
  • Care
Reactions: JoM
I spoke to one hospital who knows her and knows she’s diabetic, is a terrible patient and told me they won’t take her.
I also have concerns that she won’t eat if I’m not there to coax her.
😭
You could try Dr. Mark Peterson's Hypurrcat. It was a little over 100 miles from us and only a 3 day stay. When Ginger was there she didn't eat for the first day and a half and they said she would get some mirtazapine if she didn't eat that night but she did.
While waiting in the waiting room for admitance, there were people there is conditions that needed special treatment and their own special (raw) food brought to be given them. He used to do diabetic cats, but now specializes with hyperT cats.
They ask you to email them and they are very good at responding.
I just went to them because he's the guru of hyperT and it was within driving distance to a degree, and I loved the cameras in the double wide "condos". I (and my friends) could watch her from home and at work. Some of my friends would message me and say "she's eating!" even though I missed viewing it.
 
You could try Dr. Mark Peterson's Hypurrcat. It was a little over 100 miles from us and only a 3 day stay. When Ginger was there she didn't eat for the first day and a half and they said she would get some mirtazapine if she didn't eat that night but she did.
While waiting in the waiting room for admitance, there were people there is conditions that needed special treatment and their own special (raw) food brought to be given them. He used to do diabetic cats, but now specializes with hyperT cats.
They ask you to email them and they are very good at responding.
I just went to them because he's the guru of hyperT and it was within driving distance to a degree, and I loved the cameras in the double wide "condos". I (and my friends) could watch her from home and at work. Some of my friends would message me and say "she's eating!" even though I missed viewing it.
Thanks, Dyana. I did contact them when she was diagnosed. I’m a few hours from them.
I’ll have to revisit their website again.
I’m so glad it worked out well for Ginger! ❤️‍🩹

It works be a problem if Ivy doesn’t eat given the insulin and diabetes. And I don’t know how any place would handle feeding her at +2 and +3ish on top of her main meals x2 cycles.

And she does eat a homemade diet, so not as easy as cracking open a can of wet food 😫
 
"Hi Clarice, thank you for checking on us 🥰
Today appreciate your support. I hope you and sweet Mami Cat are doing well.
How is she feeling? How are you holding up?
Have you learned anything new?

We are doing well at the moment. I’ve spoken via email with our vet about her thyroid. He wants me to hold her Methimazole dose for the moment.
He’s concerned that her whole IBD flare threw her thyroid out of whack. I think he wants to see if it settles back down since she’s on the B12 shots and that appears to be keeping her stable.
We just got the MMA test back and she was in normal range. So that was good news. It seems on a cellular level she’s absorbing the B12 🙏
My vet is away at present at a vet conference, so we will speak later this week when he returns to determine what we do next.

I’m thankful she’s eating well and pooping normally right now. The little things that matter so much!!
Sending you lots of love and good wishes 💓💕🥰🫂"
Staci, I was finally able to find the right condo today, so I will answer here. 😀😉

Mami is feeling better. There are just so many things going on at once that sometimes I wonder if I should share it or not. But I will write a little about her on the Forum in October. She is improving❤️, Staci, and I guess I've learned some new things along the way. I try to learn more and more about her condition, Mycoplasma, vitamins and supplements.

Nice to hear that you spoke with her vet and that he wants to wait a little before taking any further action concerning her thyroid. It was the same here with Mami and her kidneys.

Well... I know a little tiny bit about potassium; had to deal with this one with Mami - so maybe you could check her electrolyte panel, since all of these electrolytes are connected. Potassium is related to glucose metabolism and insulin secretion. The kidneys also play an important role in regulating potassium levels, so high potassium can sometimes be related to kidney function.

Oh - great to hear about the MMA! This is very good news!! Each piece of good news is such a relief and a blessing 😍

Eating and pooping normally are indeed things that bring us peace and give them a pleasant routine... Thank God for that.

I am sending her my genuine good wishes regarding her thyroid ❤️
 
Back
Top