10/17 OT ...safe gentle flea treatment for Kitties

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Beth 73, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Good morning all ...we are battling a leak in our basement so that's fun :woot: Seeking wisdom ab what flea treatment options there are , considering Elmo's age and health right now . Seems family that stayed night with us brought fleas in with them :( I am bathing he and Ben, vaccuming, sweeping, flea combing , washing bedding and rugs ( more laundry ...oh joy :rolleyes:). Please let me know your preferred flea treatment that you use . Thanks in advance ❤️

2. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Yeurk... poor Beth! Leak and flees..:arghh: At least you don't have to worry about Elmo who's bouncing and not in LIME...
    I can't say "have a nice day" but for sure it will be better tomorrow! :bighug:

Beth 73 likes this.
  3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I've used revolution since 2009. It was also the only one vet approved for Smokey (1st diabetic).

I also put a piece of OTC flea collar in vacuum cup for the ones that get sucked up.

Next time family comes, hand them a flea collar at the door and tell them to wear it while there.

My MIL was awful for fleas in her home. Don't think she ever did anything about them. When I saw them jumping on the toddlers at the time. I stopped going over there. Also made husband After his visits there, change all clothes in basement before coming into house and put them in bucket of water until I could wash them.

Sonia & Leo and Beth 73 like this.
  4. Beth 73

Paula, I am to that point with my brother ... he is a good kind soul but they don't have enuf money to flea treatment their tribe.... neuter spay shots ( most are in/out cats) but not flea treat...we literally change clothes in our garage after visiting there ...they mean well but yuck . @Olive & Paula Thanks for reminder ab flea collar in vac...the one in there needs changed ...I'll check revolution out ... if all else doesn't make a dent I will try it . Right now I'm headed to the big tub to give cat baths ...they normally do well

5. Beth 73

Yes, Lyane ...today I am thankful for bouncing as is one less thing to deal with ❤️

6. Olive & Paula

If it gets to bad, if weather is nice, put everyone in their carrier, take outside and fog the house. When outside spot treat animals, and continue vacuuming for a few days.

Sonia & Leo and Beth 73 like this.
  7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Oh Beth! We are going through the same thing right now. I agree with Paula on what to do. I use Revolution on Bubba too. Unfortunately , you have to get it from the vet. ( that’s probably why Paula’s vet RX it)

This Saturday, I have to re-apply treatments again on all animals. A new hatching of eggs started up again yesterday. My Lucy , dog, is so allergic ! It’s been not fun keeping on top of her not chewing herself raw. Thank God Aloe Vera burn gel helps her. We made it through the whole summer without any until the end of September.

Good luck and I feel your pain. :bighug:

Beth 73 likes this.
  8. Beth 73

Thanks, Bobbie ❤️ That's two votes for Revolution which I can get from Dr Rusty, my new best friend . Going to go the bathe, vac, laundry route for a bit and then get the Revolution . I know you like all things natural/homeopathic so your opinion has that baked in :bighug:

9. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Oh Beth, the fun never stops does it? :(
    I'm sending you tons of good luck vines to get rid of those nasties as quick as possible!

Beth 73 likes this.
  10. Beth 73

Oh yes, Sonia ❤️ Inch of water in storage room in basement ...all contents now in family room :woot: Boys were good as bathed but now giving stink eye as they lie in the sunshine :cat::cat:

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  11. Beth 73

Think I may make brother and family go thru hazmat tent of s ome kind before coming on Turkey Day :woot: That wouldn't be too obnoxious now , would it ?:rolleyes:

Sonia & Leo and Olive & Paula like this.
  12. Olive & Paula

13. Beth 73

Oooo, thanks Paula ❤️ Yeah Canada !!!!

Red & Rover (GA) and Sonia & Leo like this.
  14. Olive & Paula

AmandaE and Beth 73 like this.
  15. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry about the fleas. Last year I had to fight them for months. The Advantage II I was using quit working. I tried Frontline Plus and it didn't do anything. I finally tried Revolution and it worked. That's what I use now. I also bought Raid flea spray and used that to spray the rooms down. It was the only thing that worked to kill the ones not on the cats before I found Revolution. I hope you can get rid of them quickly. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Beth 73 and Sonia & Leo like this.
  16. Olive & Paula

I don't think so. Maybe only allow them to sit on one chair that's covered with plastic and not move from it. Have shower in basement, they can shower before coming in house and you give them different set of clothes to put on.

I guess that's going to far though.

Better thought. Everyone go out for thanksgiving, then you won't have to prep anything.

17. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Yes, I do like homeopathic, and in the past I have used Sentry's Natural Defense which is all natural oils only when it was just the cats with fleas. But, once poor Lucy Lu gets them I can't chance eggs hatching and having them for any longer than necessary and her chewing herself up.
    I do hate putting these flea poisons on my animals , but I am weighing out the pros and cons.

ETA: The only con to the Natural Defense is that it doesn't sterilize the females like Revolution and Frontline do; it just kills the fleas that bite them.

Beth 73 and Sonia & Leo like this.
  18. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Catnip– As far as flea repelling plants are concerned, Catnips have been proven even more effective than DEET. Crush and rub some catnip on your cat’s skin (or allow the animal to roll in some catnip bushes) to deter fleas naturally. Catnip can be also used for repelling cockroaches

https://www.fleabites.net/20-plants-that-naturally-repel-fleas-and-other-insects/

AmandaE, Beth 73 and Sonia & Leo like this.
  19. Beth 73

:woot: :joyful: :eek: :smuggrin: ..... I make them take shoes off on front porch before they come in....you’d think I was asking for a kidney :woot: And we did meet at a restaurant last year cos Mom couldn’t travel... it was wonderful but I do enjoy whole fam here ...just leave the vermin at home ❤️

AmandaE likes this.
  20. Beth 73

I remember, Carla ❤️ You had an awful time. You are third vote for Revolution :)

21. Beth 73

Oh, Joy Bee, I love that idea❤️ Does it need to be fresh or dry ? I’m checking that out !!! A thousand thank you s ❤️

JoyBee&Ravan and AmandaE like this.
  22. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

I was going to tag @JoyBee&Ravan because she is a big resource when it comes to natural remedies if you didn’t want an over the counter thing. But sometimes you just do have to bring out the big guns!

hopefully you figure it out!!

JoyBee&Ravan and Beth 73 like this.
  23. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

Have you used diatomaceous earth? It should kill them in carpeting. I use it on sugar ants. Totally safe, except don’t breathe the powder. I have indoor cats but I remember the horror of fleas well from the days before the monthly flea treatments.

JoyBee&Ravan and Beth 73 like this.
  24. Beth 73

Hi Margie....our kitties are indoor too and these fleas came in on other people:(.....Thanks for DE reminder ...I’ve used it before and liked it :bighug:

Margie and Jackson likes this.
  25. Beth 73

Thanks Amanda ❤️ Hopefully I won’t need the big guns and all the vacuuming, washing and combing will do the job :)

AmandaE likes this.
  26. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

Yeah, my moms dog gave us all fleas last time around. I feel your pain.

27. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Beth 73 likes this.
  28. Beth 73

Thanks , Sandi :bighug: I forgot to spray after family left this time. Won't be doing that again !