? 10/17 AMPS 241 EDDIE: Flat (?) yellow Then +3 151 +4.5 149

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jodey&Eddie&Blue, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Jodey&Eddie&Blue Well-Known Member

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Usually we start the new day's thread with AMPS just so you know, I wouldn't have known to look for you without the tag!

Yes, you can consider that pretty flat. If I had to guess, he'll either still be flat by morning, or blue - starting to break the bounce and hit blue/green during the AM cycle. This is what Sienne meant on your last post about the "superstition" about flat yellows being followed by active cycles, it can sometimes indicate the bounce is about to break or something about to happen.

3. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

It's still flat at AMPS. I wasn't sure what title to give because I tested after midnight and so the yellows are a carry-over from yesterday (all day) to AMPS now. I wonder what is about to happen? Eddie seems just fine but this yellow line seems a bit uncanny.

4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

You can actually take off the last part of your title and just leave the AMPS number.

He may have another flat day, but I want to be right :joyful: Hoping +3 shows a drop

Jodey&Eddie&Blue likes this.
  5. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

You are SPOT ON: +3 = 151.

What do you think this means?

6. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ah I love when the crystal ball works!

It just means he's breaking his bounce. Which also means you'll want to watch him closely. Test hourly from here on out. Look at the 15th as an example, he came down hard and fast.

If +4 shows another decent drop we'll probably want to intervene with food to slow the drop, but let's wait to see where he's at. You could feed 1-2tsp LC now if you'd like, but I'd try to hold off and see what he does.

7. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Also go ahead and update your title to include the +3; people scanning the board will see the drop and know to check in

8. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I'm going to try to catch a nap here. Some loose guidance (but if someone else pops in please go with what they say):
    If he drops but is 100+, let him graze on small amounts of LC, recheck in an hour. If flat or higher no food, recheck in an hour.
    85-99: I'd give 1-2tsp MC, recheck in 30 mins. If flat or higher, no food, recheck in 30 mins. Rinse and repeat. If he drops ->
    68-84: I'd give 1-2tsp HC, recheck in 20 mins. If flat or higher, no food, recheck in 20 mins. Rinse and repeat. If he drops ->
    67 and below - I'll be totally honest and say I don't have a good feel for low numbers on pet meters, so will err on the side of caution. I would give 1tbsp HC + karo/honey, recheck in 20. Rinse and repeat.

You're not "safe" until he is rising on his own after 2 hrs without food. So continue to check every 30-60 mins.

Ideally you want him to surf in green, 68 and above. So we try to manipulate that with food.

9. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

I actually feed him 4x daily. I didn't see this email until after I fed him (usually about 4 tsp at lunch) but I will now monitor him all day.

Just now: +4.5 = 149

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    Reason for edit: additional information
  10. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

No worries!

That's pretty flat even considering the food he has, so you should be ok to test him hourly unless something changes.

And as an FYI - the food and BG ranges I mentioned above were for this specific cycle only, with Oct 15th's AM cycle in mind. Potentially diving early and fast is different than a nice graceful slide down, or lower numbers a little later in the cycle. Like I said, goal is to keep them green as long as possible, just not lime green!

Jodey&Eddie&Blue likes this.