? 10/08 Coco AMPS HI, +1.75 375, +7 310, +8 277, +11.75 206 normal drop, am i overreacting?

win&coco

Member Since 2026
Link to my first post if you want to read some of Coco health record.

Just a heads up if you check his spreadsheet you will find most likely useless information bc we only did AMPS checking (and yesterday I kept scanning him every hour cuz i wanted to see if he would drop).

We changed to a new vial and it seems to be working. We couldn't find kits to check for ketosis but my dad will try again this afternoon. I ended up giving him 4u at night as the vet said and once again in the morning his 4u. However I'm a little bit worried/confused? about the Lantus working like this. I read that it was supposed to take a few days to start working or maybe i understoond wrong? his number is still dropping so i'm gonna keep checking him just in case but i need some advice or insight or commentary?

If these past High readings were caused because of a spoiled vial and now we have a new one should i wait 5-7 days more to see if we should deduct the dosis (considering the fact that we don't have much data yet and that he will have a diff food tomorrow)? is this a normal steady drop? when should i check with the manual meter? does it usually takes this long for vets to suggest a spoiled vial?

Coco has been acting fine, he ate pretty good, took his meds, and everything seems to be kind of normal so maybe I'm just being dramatic but i just wanted to ask either way.

Update (5:10 p.m.) Okay so I sent a text to his vet to see what he recommends if he drops to 100s at night, if i should reduce or what. He seems pretty sleepy but the vet isn't particularly worried about that considering he went down from a really high reading. I hope he answers before his shot because I don't know what to do. Also I added the question in the title because I forgot.
 
Last edited:
In your first post, you said he is getting prednisolone. Is he still getting that? If so, what for, how much and how often. Prednisolone can make blood sugars higher. It is good to put a list of medication in your signature. Also, the signature says "dry food" but not what kind. Dry food isn't a good solution for cats with urinary issues. You should also list other medical conditions on the signature.

Ketostix or something similar should be available from any human pharmacy that sells diabetes supplies.

What food are you switching to tomorrow? If lower carb, food changes should be made slowly. That is also easier on the cat's GI system to do a slow food transition.

Was last night the first time you gave two doses of insulin a day? That can also impact numbers and explain why numbers are going down now.
 
In your first post, you said he is getting prednisolone. Is he still getting that? If so, what for, how much and how often. Prednisolone can make blood sugars higher. It is good to put a list of medication in your signature. Also, the signature says "dry food" but not what kind. Dry food isn't a good solution for cats with urinary issues. You should also list other medical conditions on the signature.

Ketostix or something similar should be available from any human pharmacy that sells diabetes supplies.

What food are you switching to tomorrow? If lower carb, food changes should be made slowly. That is also easier on the cat's GI system to do a slow food transition.

Was last night the first time you gave two doses of insulin a day? That can also impact numbers and explain why numbers are going down now.
Yes the vet said prednisolone once a day for seven days. It's because he had bladder surgery, I asked him about it and he said the dosis we were using (½ pill a day) was low so that wasn't not a issue. I didn't give Coco the pill today yet. I will update my signature.

I couldn't find any kit for ketosis, I looked around in case they had another name but our local pharmacy doesn't seem to have it.

We are switching to Virbac Urology 1 Struvite Dissolution, the vet said it was recommended for his bladder surgery in case any sediment was still there (they don't analyze the type of crystal there so we had no idea at all of what type). I asked him about the carbs bc I know it's higher in carbs but he said the dosis was the same 4u twice a day.

Yes, yesterday was the first time we gave insulin twice a day according to the vet instructions (we picked Coco from the vet and he told us that). However 4u feels like too much.

I know you probably can't help me with this because of how little info we have on his glucose levels but I'm having trouble with today. His next dosis is in a few minutes and he is still at 260mg/dl, Idk if I should shoot 4u as instructed because I can't have him go hypoglucemic, we are in the middle of a hurricane-storm and we can't rush to the emergency vet in case that happens.
We have condensated milk I think it's what it's called in case his glucose drops too low but we wouldn't be able to go to the vet until the storm-hurricane clears off. And I don't want to skip because he just got his numbers down from such a high dose so I don't know if I should give 4u or 1u? The vet said he wasn't responsible for any insulin changes made at home so I'm just feeling really lost in here. If you can't help me that's fine too, thank you tho.
 
Do you have medium and high carb food on hand? Do you have honey or syrup on hand?
I have a some kibble that is supposedly 36% carbs according to google, but that's all I have. I mentioned condensed milk but I look it up and well cats are lactose intolerant so no I don't have other options...
 
I'm hoping that Wendy will weigh back in here, but she might be off the board for the evening. We'll see. I'm bumping your post up to the top.

In the future, you need to put together a hypo kit. Here are the instructions: Sticky - jojo and bunny's HYPO TOOL BOX For now, the kibble will work, but wet food is best. Let us know if you have any questions about the hypo kit. I'll explain later the rationale behind a hypo kit.

Does Coco have a history of ketones?
 
I'm hoping that Wendy will weigh back in here, but she might be off the board for the evening. We'll see. I'm bumping your post up to the top.

In the future, you need to put together a hypo kit. Here are the instructions: Sticky - jojo and bunny's HYPO TOOL BOX For now, the kibble will work, but wet food is best. Let us know if you have any questions about the hypo kit. I'll explain later the rationale behind a hypo kit.

Does Coco have a history of ketones?

I found some honey (not refrigerated and there is not much on the jar) could that help?

When he was diagnosed the blood test came back negative in ketones. However he had some days (06/oct and 07/oct) where he had high glucose, he stayed at the vet and they didn't have the equipment to check ketones but they gave him fluids and checked his potassium. And my dad couldn't find any test kit on the pharmacy, I'll have to look for some on amazon but shipping is paused atm.

Coco is rising. I read about the SLGS parameters for ppl who don't know how their cats respond to insulin but he is rising. I will shoot 4u like the vet said. He is still in time for his dosis i think.

Thank you, I will see if they answer either way waiting just in case. If he goes low can I use the honey at keep testing until he is at a "normal" base?
 
Last edited:
Yes, I think I would not shoot 4u, but give 1u because you're in the middle of a storm situation. You'll still need to monitor him through the cycle because he's just now receiving insulin twice a day, so it's important to monitor to ensure his blood glucose does not drop too low. The good news is that he is responding well to the insulin now that he's receiving two doses a day, so getting him back on track should be relatively easy.
 
Let me explain the hypo kit. When a kitty's bg begins to drop during a cycle to a number that is too low, the tool we use to boost the bg is food/carbs. We use medium or high carb food, the carb content depending on how low the cat's bg is going. Honey is another alternative to boosting bg. Some of us will mix it into the low carb food to get the bg to come up, if it is going too low. The key is that you don't want to use too much. Just a few tsps of high carb food or a few drops of honey, depending on the cat, can boost their bg. Honey is short acting. High carb food is a bit longer acting, so it's optimal. You'll always want to test about 30 mins. after administering high carb ingredients to make sure the bg is going up and again 30 mins later to ensure it is not going down again.
 
Yes, I think I would not shoot 4u, but give 1u because you're in the middle of a storm situation. You'll still need to monitor him through the cycle because he's just now receiving insulin twice a day, so it's important to monitor to ensure his blood glucose does not drop too low. The good news is that he is responding well to the insulin now that he's receiving two doses a day, so getting him back on track should be relatively easy.
I edited my comment to said 4u because I'm worried of his levels rising but i think i do feel safe shooting 1u instead. Do you perhaps think i should shoot 4u at morning? Or should I start over with the SLGS?
 
Let me explain the hypo kit. When a kitty's bg begins to drop during a cycle to a number that is too low, the tool we use to boost the bg is food/carbs. We use medium or high carb food, the carb content depending on how low the cat's bg is going. Honey is another alternative to boosting bg. Some of us will mix it into the low carb food to get the bg to come up, if it is going too low. The key is that you don't want to use too much. Just a few tsps of high carb food or a few drops of honey, depending on the cat, can boost their bg. Honey is short acting. High carb food is a bit longer acting, so it's optimal. You'll always want to test about 30 mins. after administering high carb ingredients to make sure the bg is going up and again 30 mins later to ensure it is not going down again.
Okay I do understand. I do have some purina pro dm cans that I can use with honey. But what happens if it's going down again in my situation for example? Do I just keep rubbing honey and test every 30mins until the hurricane-storm passes?
And what can I do if his glucose rises too high again? Or is that part of the process?
 
I edited my comment to said 4u because I'm worried of his levels rising but i think i do feel safe shooting 1u instead. Do you perhaps think i should shoot 4u at morning? Or should I start over with the SLGS?
It's really too early now to tell what you need to do in the morning. Let's first see how he does tonight and what his numbers are tomorrow. You can check back on the forum when it gets closer to shot time. Please keep an eye on him tonight.

The Purina DM is a higher carb food, so it should be a good hc food to feed if his bg drops.
Okay I do understand. I do have some purina pro dm cans that I can use with honey. But what happens if it's going down again in my situation for example? Do I just keep rubbing honey and test every 30mins until the hurricane-storm passes?
And what can I do if his glucose rises too high again? Or is that part of the process?
If his bg begins dropping, you feed a few tsps of high carb food (or low carb food mixed with honey). Then you test in 30 mins. If he is still low, give a bit more. Test in 30 mins. If he is still low, give a bit more etc. Once the bg begins rising, always test two hours after feeding high carb food to ensure that the bg doesn't drop again. The high carb food only stays in their system about 2 hours.

If his bg rises, you'll get him back on track as soon as the storm passes.

Check here on the forum. People here know about feline diabetes, and they will help you to get him regulated. I'm sorry your vet is not helpful, but that is not unusual, even here in the U.S.
 
It's really too early now to tell what you need to do in the morning. Let's first see how he does tonight and what his numbers are tomorrow. You can check back on the forum when it gets closer to shot time. Please keep an eye on him tonight.

The Purina DM is a higher carb food, so it should be a good hc food to feed if his bg drops.

If his bg begins dropping, you feed a few tsps of high carb food (or low carb food mixed with honey). Then you test in 30 mins. If he is still low, give a bit more. Test in 30 mins. If he is still low, give a bit more etc. Once the bg begins rising, always test two hours after feeding high carb food to ensure that the bg doesn't drop again. The high carb food only stays in their system about 2 hours.

If his bg rises, you'll get him back on track as soon as the storm passes.

Check here on the forum. People here know about feline diabetes, and they will help you to get him regulated. I'm sorry your vet is not helpful, but that is not unusual, even here in the U.S.
I ended up giving him 2u, I know I change my mind a lot and I apologize but I saw him rising and I got scared. I think he will have high numbers today through the night.

I will keep that in mind about the hypo instructions, thank you again. I told my dad about it too so he can assist when I need him. Thank you again.
 
Back
Top