1/5 Poppy AMPS 339 +5 191 PMPS 76 after 1u@AMPS

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Monica-Poppy, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Monica-Poppy

Monica-Poppy Member

Thank you all for the advice yersterday.
    Yesterday evening her BG at PMPS was 88, so I did not give her the insulin. PMPS +3.5 was 227
    Today AMPS 339. So at AMPS she received 1u of Lantus. AMPS +5 was 191 and PMPS (half an hour ago) is again too low for the insulin, only 76. I don't feel confortable giving her the shot at this value. I just fed her a small quantity of wet food.

This looks like remission right? But what am I supposed to do tomorrow morning? Do I continue to give her 1u? Do I go lower?

@Bandit's Mom I did't get rid of the dry food completely. Gave her a smaller quantity, just to make the transition smoother as it looks like she is also going into remission.

At what hours do you suggest giving her the tests?

2. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Hi Monica,
    Nice PMPS:D. Even though you didn't give insulin at PMPS, I'd get a +1 just to be sure that she doesn't drop lower. Did you feed her recently? She may get a food bump that will make her +1 higher, but hard to say without a test.

I think you need to find a lower insulin dose that you can give at both AM and PM:). I don't give advice on dosing, but let me tag a couple of others for you in addition to Bhooma who you already tagged:
    @tiffmaxee @Wendy&Neko .

Here is your yesterday thread for continuity: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/1-4-poppy-pmps-60-amps-367.240989/
    We link them so that all of the info on Poppy can easily be found.

Monica-Poppy likes this.
  3. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Monica!

I am linking your previous post for continuity -https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/1-4-poppy-pmps-60-amps-367.240989/
    I don't think you so my last post on the yesterday's thread. :)

With all the change in doses and the skips, it is difficult to tell what dose is causing what numbers. Add to that the partial removal of the HC dry food. We have to arrive at a dose which you can shoot consistently AM and PM.

I didn't understand you reason for feeding the HC dry? There have been cats who go into remission with just the removal of HC food and a switch to a LC canned diet. We don't know yet if Poppy will.

Let me tag @tiffmaxee for some ideas on dosing. It's close to midnight here and I'm half asleep! :smuggrin:

4. Monica-Poppy

Monica-Poppy Member

@Butters & Lyla Yes I gave her something to eat, as I normally did at PMPS, so I am not sure the +1 would be very relevant. I will give her a +2 test.

@Bandit's Mom I read the post. @tiffmaxee agreed that it would be better to remove slowly the dry food, so we don't make to many sudden changes (at least this is what I understood) - dropping 1u on the insulin and giving up the dry food all of the sudden. This is why I still gave her a very small quantity - max. 20gr.

Not sure what to do about the dosing tomorrow morning :bookworm:

5. Bandit's Mom

OK. I thought @tiffmaxee said 1.5U with dry food and 1U without. Don't worry. We will figure this out. Better to dose lower and be safe. :)

Let's see what @tiffmaxee and @Wendy&Neko suggest.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Because the dry food effects last longer you can start with1.5. If you removed all dry you would start with 1.0. Make sense?

7. Monica-Poppy

Monica-Poppy Member

@tiffmaxee I see. I missunderstood. But if I already gave her 1u this morning @AMPS and by @PMPS her bg was 76, what should I do tomorrow morning? Should't I stay on the 1u dose or go even lower?
    @Bandit's Mom I will stop completely the dry since I already gave her 1u and today I lowered her dry food to half of what she was eating previously.

I know that the changes may be due to the changes in the insulin dose, but from what I have seen so far (from Poppy), the values always went up after I modified something, never so low.

8. tiffmaxee

Yes. Now stick with 1.0. We can adjust her dose if needed. She’s looking good now. It might have been the better choice after all.

9. Bandit's Mom

Elise, just a thought. With the elimination of dry food and considering that Monica is new to testing etc, should we err on the side of caution and go down to 0.5u? We can always take it back up if it's not enough.

10. tiffmaxee

It’s fine to give .50. We can go up if needed.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Going back to yesterday's post, I just wanted to add that you might want to look at the UK food lists linked here (blue texts). Many of the people in Europe order online these products. UK Diabetic Cat Food Info (includes some supplies) and UK Cat Food List

As you get rid of try food, insulin needs will drop. Starting with 0.5 units would be fine. Are you testing regularly for ketones?

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  12. Bandit's Mom

Hi Monica, how much did you shoot this AM? I see "<1" on your SS. Did you give 0.5U? More?

13. Monica-Poppy

Monica-Poppy Member

First of all, should I post a different thread today and include the link to this one?

Regarding my experience, I had another cat with diabetes. He was diagnosed with diabetes when he was 12 years old, and died at 15, about 7 years ago. Never got into remission. Unfortunatelly he developed diabetic neuropathy and, at that time, the vet did not give him any treatment for that. The last month of his life was absolutely terrible. He was not on a strict diet because he also had kidney problems. No small syringes back then, so harder to dose right. And in Romania the vets had even less experience than they have now. It was very hard becuase it was my first cat, had him since he was 2-3 months old.

So regarding the dose and testing I am not necessarely unconfortable or unexperienced. I would just like to treat Poppy the best way I can.

I also talked to the vet in the mean time. Looking at the valuse and how things evolved, he said that it looks that her pancreas is really trying to help her. He suggested sticking to the 1u dose for consitency.

@Bandit's Mom Hi! Because the smaller syringes haven't arrive yet (they are supposed to be delivered today), I used the 1ml/100u ones so it's kind of an approximation :confused: I tried to be with the plunger seal just above the first unit.
    I am planning to do +3 +6 +9 testing today.

@Wendy&Neko thank you for the links. I already ordered some low carb canned food from zooplus.

14. Bandit's Mom

Yes, if you will start a new thread for today, I will respond on that one.
    The idea is to ensure that threads don't become too long for people to read. Especially when the cat is low and people need to get to important information quickly! :)