? 1/29 Miracle AMPS 375 +3 395 +8 380 Need Dosing Advice

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by NotTheMamma, Jan 29, 2023.

1. NotTheMamma

NotTheMamma New Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/need-help-getting-miracle-regulated.260808/#post-2978693
    (Link to previous thread on advice using ProZinc)

We recently switched from ProZinc to Lantus after only achieving mixed results with ProZinc for quite a while, we have gone through one cartridge of Lantus so far and are up to 4 units per dose at the moment (see spreadsheet in signature) We have seen a bit more moderate numbers on Lantus (less ups and downs than prozinc) but we are far from the range we would like to be on a regular basis, We have also seen little change when increasing his dose so far with Lantus.

We want to continue using Lantus and taking his dose up gradually but wonder if we are nearing a dose that seems too high? and/or if there are other issues that we are not seeing that are preventing us from getting good numbers?

His food is Wellness Beef + Chicken Pate (low carb wet food) we feed him 100 grams every 12 hours when we give him insulin.

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I can tag a few members for you
    @Bron and Sheba (GA)

@tiffmaxee

@Suzanne & Darcy

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Alice,
    Looking at the SS I am noticing a couple of things...
    You are not always testing before giving the dose of insulin. This is the only way you will know it is safe to give the dose. I know you can say...he is always high...but you don't know that. I would strongly recommend you test before every shot of insulin.
    Also I would test sometime during the first half of the PM cycle to see what is happening. It is possible for a cat to drop low and be up in high numbers by the next preshot. We see that many times. A before bed test is a good habit to get into. I think you could be missing some lower numbers in the pm cycle.

Is this all the food he gets?
    I would suggest offering him a small snack of low carb food at +3 and +5 or +6 in the am and the pm cycles as well as the preshot meals.
    A snack is a teaspoon or two of low carb food.

Using a pet meter, the BG numbers will always look higher than a human meter. And human meter strips are much cheaper than pet meter strips...just a thought.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Bron has given you good suggestions. Cats often go lower at night and I only see one test past pmps since 1/9. Also when following SLGS you need to do a curve every 7 days when possible.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.