1.25 units too low, 1.5 units too high??

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sofia, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Sofia

Sofia Member

Please have a look and tell me what you think. We tried 1.5 units, thought it was too high, went to 1.25units and got stuck there for a while, and for a few days now back at 1.5 but nadirs are low.
    Should I use the TR method??

2. Cali S

Cali S Member

From a relative newbie's perspective, it looks like you get enough tests in for TR. And it looks like 1.5U is working a treat! 50 is a perfectly acceptable BG# when you're doing TR, and not a cause for concern. Nadirs in the 50s are great, and exactly what you want to start seeing!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  3. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

You are testing enough for TR. With TR you can stay at a dose where he can spend maximum time in normal healing numbers. With nadirs in the 50s you would hold the dose. Lantus doing is based on nadirs and not on preshots. Lantus likes consistency and frequent changes in the dose disrupts the depot and you won't know which dose is working.

I also see that he has a tendency to really dive at onset. Do you feed a little food at +1 to slow the drop?

4. Sofia

Sofia Member

So do you think for now I can stick with 1.5 units? Feeding at +1…. honestly no, he’ll eat soon after but not at +1, maybe a bit later. If you say it will slow that drop, then I will for sure have him eat a little at +1 again.
    Can you please explain simply TR, like TR for dummies.. I’ve read the sticky, but I thought TR was more “rolling with it”, adjusting the dose as necessary based on numbers, more so than SLGS where you’d stick it out for longer. But if frequent changes are no good, then I’m even more confused. I have no problem testing multiple through the day, I like to know what’s going on!

For now he hasn’t dropped under 50, so that’s fine? I just need to slow the drops and see the cycle “settle” more?

Thank you greatly for your input!

5. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Take a look at this:
    Using Food to Manipulate the Curve

SLGS: You hold a dose for 7 days (unless a reduction is earned). You decrease the dose when the BG falls below 90 mg/dl (on a human meter). The aim of this protocol is to keep the cat in the 90-150 range. This is more suited for caregivers who can't test as much as TR requires. You do a weekly curve with SLGS.

TR is a more aggressive protocol with increases as often as every 3-5 days. Reductions are earned when the BG falls below 50 mg/dl (on a human meter). The aim is to keep the cat in the range of 50-100 (which is the normal BG range for cats). To follow TR, you would need to get at least one more test per cycle in addition to the pre-shot one i.e. 2 tests per cycle or 4 tests per day. You would also need to be feeding only LC canned food and no dry food.

Basically with TR, you evaluate the dose every 3-5 days. If the numbers are in the range you want them to be, you hold the dose, if not you increase by 0.25U (0.50U if nadirs are over 300).

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Your signature says you are following SLGS if you plan to stay with that I see Thor dropped below 90:, is that a human meter you are using?
    If so you should have reduced his dose and shot 1.25 units

If you decide to switch to TR please add that to your signature something like TR started and the date

Same on your spreadsheet up top and you can put a line above the date on your spreadsheet and just put Started TR