1/18 Mimi AMPS 301 +6 257 PMPS 293

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Šeča, Jan 18, 2023.

1. Šeča

Šeča Member

Hello guys,
    I am new here at FDMB. I am really glad that I found community that is prepared to help us on this journey of diabetes.
    My cats name is Mimi and she is 9 years old. She was diagnosed in October 2022 when she became letargic. At that time she was on corticosteroids and she had BG around 300 (without ketones). She came home with Lantus 1U.
    We had a Lybre installed until new years when she removed 2 sensores in 1 week. That's when I decided to start testing her with meter.
    She is very timid, scared of everything and everybody. I had problems with just giving shoots. I try really hard to test her at least 4 times a day. More then that I really can't do because she won't let me. She starts to hide and run.

She is on wet low carb food.

I think that 1U is not doing much at the moment and I wonder if anyone has any opinion on what should I do or what is the best for my Mimi.
    I would really appreciate any help :)

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to the best place you can ever land
    With the advice of all the experienced members Tyler wouldn't be in remission since 1-24-21

Just want to let you know we can't see your spreadsheet

You have to
    To set spreadsheet sharing permission:
    * At the top right of the spreadsheet screen click on Share.

* In the pop-up dialog box click on the Get Link section.

* Change link access from 'Restricted' to 'Anyone with the link' and make sure that the permission on the right hand side is set to 'Viewer'.

* Click Done to save the changes.

Šeča likes this.
  3. Šeča

Šeča Member

I think it's okay now. :bighug:

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Yes I can see it now
    Can you please set up what we call our signature , it's information we need about
    Mimi
    To set up your signature which you will see is at the end of everyone's post in gray, click on your name up top and then tap on the word signature and add this information
    • Add info we need to help you:
      • Caregiver & kitty's name
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin (do not include dose or frequency)
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

Take a look at mine

Šeča likes this.
  5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Have you tried offering some low carb snack like a little piece of chicken to distract her while you test?
    If you can get her to associate testing with a treat, that will help matters a lot.
    I would try taking her to one spot, touching her ears and giving a treat, several times a day, to get her used to the concept. And use that spot to do all the testing.

You can also offer

As for treats when you test or give insulin
    for treats for testing
    You can give any freeze dried treats they are all low carb
    Tap on this blue link and read post #64 the post numbers are to the right of each post and you can read about the freeze dried treats I listed

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-to-this-i-need-advice.269452/#post-3007388

You can even give plain boiled chicken pieces

Also
    Always aim for the sweet spot warm the ears up first, you can put rice in a sock and put it in the microwave, test it on the inside of your wrist to be sure it's not to hot, like you would test a babies bottle. You can fill a pill bottle with warm water and roll it on the ears also.Just keep rubbing the ears with your fingers to warm them up
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    6. As the ears get used to bleeding and grow more capilares, it gets easier to get the amount of blood you need on the first try. If he won’t stand still, you can get the blood onto a clean finger nail and test from there.
    When you do get some blood you can try milking the ear.
    Get you finger and gently push up toward the blood , more will appear
    You will put the cotton round behind his ear in case you poke your finger, after you are done testing you will fold the cotton round over his ear to stop the bleeding , press gently for about 20 seconds until it stops

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
    Šeča likes this.
  6. Diane Tyler's Mom

I'm going to tag a few members for you to take a look at your spreadsheet about the dose
    Lantus likes consistency, we don't increase doses by full units
    We adjust the doses by 0,25 units at a time whether it be an increase or decrease
    I'm going to give you the link to read all about lantus , read all the yellow stickys, especially the 2 dosing methods, you will need to pick one that would be good for you to follow and add it to your signature and spreadsheet
    Do you have the U-100 syringes with half unit markings?
    Do you live in the US? I see you already tested the PMPS can you add that to your spreadsheet

@tiffmaxee

@Suzanne & Darcy

@Sienne and Gabby (GA)

@Bron and Sheba (GA)

Link for lantus
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-levemir-biosimilars.9/

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
    Šeča likes this.
  7. Šeča

Šeča Member

@Diane Tyler's Mom i will try to read everything as soon as possible. I did update the spreadsheet :)
    I am from Slovenia. And yes i do have syringes with half mark units. I started giving insulin with syringes on Saturday.

8. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Seca

I realize this will be a challenge as all of our documents are in English. If you can try and post daily as you did on this post (you did a great job with the subject line!), then more members might be able to help.

Very simply, we have two dosing methods. One is a slower method (Start Low Go Slow or SLGS) so the doses are held for a week. The other, the doses are only held six cycles if the blood glucose lowest point is 200 or above (for right now). This method is called “tight regulation” (TR) and it will allow you to help Mimi get into better BGs faster with the amount you are testing especially because she is not eating any dry food at all.

These methods are found in THIS post (click on the blue THIS). It is alot for you to translate. But, for now, I would increase her dose to 1.5u tomorrow morning unless you feel you need to go much slower and follow the SLGS where the doses are held for one week unless her BG drops below 90 (5 mmol/L).

Please post tomorrow with your questions. We have helped others from other countries where they do not speak English so I am very hopeful we can help you and Mimi.

Šeča and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi I would add Slovenia to your signature. Tap on your name up too, tap in signature add it then tap save :cat:

Šeča likes this.
  10. Šeča

Šeča Member

Upravo sam testirala Mimi i ima 7.6 :joyful: zanima me ali da počakam še 2-3 dni z povišanjem odmerka. :bighug:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  11. Šeča

Šeča Member

Živijo
    upam da sem dodala Slovenija :bighug:

12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome. I'm tagging another member from Slovenia @Ariana

Šeča, Ariana and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  13. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Yes, you should wait to increase the dose with 137.

Can you please put the information in your signature block back in English as I had it for you? We only have one member who could read it in Croatian and those helping you need to be able to read it in English.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    Šeča, Diane Tyler's Mom and Ariana like this.
  14. Šeča

Šeča Member

Pozdravljeni
    ali lahko povišam odmerek na 1,5.. Hvala