1/17/23 Was thinking of changing Insulin to Lantus

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JBat75, Jan 17, 2023.

1. JBat75

JBat75 Member

Has anyone here changed from ProZinc to Lantus? Have you liked the results? I am apprehensive about changing. Still not sure if I need to, but have considered. Please advise!

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You might want to add "Prozinc to Lantus" to the subject line to attract people who've made the switch. We've got quite a few people here who've made the switch. Tagging a couple I can think of off hand. @Chrispooky12 @Angela & Cleo

Angela & Cleo likes this.
  3. Angela & Cleo

Angela & Cleo Well-Known Member

Hi Jeni,
    My Cleo was on Prozinc and we switched her in May 2022 to Lantus. I could not be happier!
    Duration was an issue on Prozinc. It took some time on Lantus but I am happy with her progress. She's a bouncy kitty but is definitely seeing better numbers overall. But as is often said here, a cat is more than the numbers.
    I think that for me the biggest improvement is how her behavior has changed on Lantus. Specifically the clinical symptoms dramatically. I'm not scooping the LB 4times a day or chasing her off the counter looking for food. She also has energy and plays more, in-between naps of course;).
    If you do switch there are tons of eyes to help with kitty's BGs and lots of human support here too. :bighug:

4. JBat75

JBat75 Member

Thank you! I'm leaving for a week from Feb 15th thru Feb 22nd. Do you think I should wait until I return?
    I worry about waiting, but worry no one will be here to monitor her throughout the day.
    Also, Kaia has always run a bit high... what are normal numbers? (She seems perkier when not too low)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
    Angela & Cleo likes this.
  5. Angela & Cleo

Angela & Cleo Well-Known Member

I think there are more experienced members that can answer that question for you, ie when to start. Perhaps when @Wendy&Neko comes on later. Hopefully she is fast asleep now.
    Maybe @Bron and Sheba (GA) is around.
    Do you have Lantus pens/vials already?

In the meantime have you read the stickies in this forum? This one gives a great explanation of how depot insulins like Lantus work.
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/what-is-the-insulin-depot.150/

If you scroll down a bit in this link to find "what is regulation" https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/the-basics-new-to-the-group-start-here.18139/

6. JBat75

JBat75 Member

I don't have rhe supplies yet. All that info about depot is very overwhelming. I work a lot (2 jobs) and I'm so afraid of her dropping too low