1/16 Jade amps 373 PMPS 393

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jill & Jade, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Jill & Jade

Jill & Jade Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/1-15-jade-amps-278-pmps-70.257882/
    Jade started fine yesterday and at +5 was at 163. I left for a few hours and when I went to give her her PMPS, she was at 70. This has never happened and was the absolute last thing I expected. It never happened the first time around before her remission either. I know that nobody can tell me exactly why, but can someone give me some ideas of why that happened? In all this time she has never dropped after nadir which is typically +6-+7.
    It shook my confidence. I don’t know if she had dropped dangerously low and was on the way back up or had I been working last night and come home late, would have been ok? Was she still dropping?
    How am I going to go to work and not worry that she’s going to drop again like last night? I tossed and turned all night. If anyone can help me make sense of it, please help?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  2. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

You can copy and paste the URL from yesterday's post like this: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/1-15-jade-amps-278-pmps-70.257882/

@Suzanne & Darcy and I pretty much covered what you are asking again today. Leaving food out is the only insurance. Getting +2 or +3 test to see if it's going to be an active cycle, feeding small meals early in the cycle when Lantus onsets, and getting a +9 or +10 to see where she might be heading before shot time. Unregulated kitties will go high and low with little in between. Shooting lower numbers will keep numbers more steady, reducing the possibility of extremes.

3. Katherine&Ruby

Happy to answer any other questions you might have, Jill. This does get easier!

Jill & Jade likes this.
  4. Jill & Jade

Thank you and I do apologize for the repeat in the question! I always get a +2 or +3 and try for a few after that when I can. I guess I just still can't seem to understand why after all this time, she would do something so unexpected. I also always leave LC food out. I guess I just have to not quite understand and be ok with that which honestly makes me want to cry. I posted a different question all together on the main forum and I think that may be a no-no but can't seem to figure out how to erase or move it. Not having my computer is proving to be a bit of a hassel.

5. Jill & Jade

I guess I just thought that after they hit the lowest point in the cycle, they always went back up.

6. Jill & Jade

You and @Suzanne & Darcy did a good job of explaining, it's me that's having a hard time comprehending it. I feel like an idiot.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  7. Katherine&Ruby

Life would be easier if we had a crystal ball, could see things coming our way and be able to control every aspect of it. I know I wish I could do that for Ruby. I put everything I have into her care over the last 16 months since her diabetes diagnosis and she still perplexes and surprises me. No one can tell you why Jade gave you that number. And it was one lower than you are used to but she was not harmed. You just have to roll with it and do what is within your means to help her.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  8. Jill & Jade

Thank you for that,much appreciated.

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  9. Katherine&Ruby

I think you do understand but are perhaps having a hard time accepting that the unpredictability of diabetes is part of the reality of the journey.

10. Jill & Jade

Quite possible. It really makes me feel like I’m failing her.

11. Katherine&Ruby

It’s all very scary at the beginning and you’re not failing her.

Dunno if you have read this but there are lots of great stories here from other caregivers on how they manage their schedules and feeding and life generally with a diabetic cat. It’s about TR but there’s good stuff to glean. You’re not alone in your worries. :bighug: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...ion-possible-with-a-full-time-job-yes.129378/

Suzanne & Darcy and Jill & Jade like this.
  12. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Ruby really does still surprise Katherine at times (in fact it seems with some frequency @Jill & Jade

Jill & Jade and Katherine&Ruby like this.
  13. Katherine&Ruby

Like on a nearly daily basis! :rolleyes: There's a space between worrying yourself too much and complacency. I find it hard to maintain that balance myself with a demanding job and also wanting a bit of a life of my own.

Arm yourself with knowledge. Read all of the stickies, over and over if you have to. I find myself revisiting these bits of writing often, discovering that I didn't know something even though I had read it before. As you gain more experience, more of it makes sense. I was lucky that I could basically throw myself into learning everything over the course of many months because Ruby was diagnosed at the height of the pandemic and I was staying at home. Read other people's condos. There's a lot to be learned from other people's mistakes as well as triumphs. Get to know the other cats here and the struggles of other caregivers. There's a lot of love and support to be found here that may give you more courage. :bighug:

Jill & Jade and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  14. Jill & Jade

Thanks, I needed that. I’m just feeling really bummed out today. I have often asked Jade why she couldn’t have relapsed during the year that I wasn’t working.

15. Katherine&Ruby

:bighug::bighug::bighug: Cats have terrible timing! :) Ruby was on the cusp of remission and then we had to start her on steroids that totally knocked her out of beautiful, steady green numbers and then I got a full time job the next month. :banghead: Thankfully I have a great partner who works from home and keeps an eye on her when I am out all day, but sometimes he has to be out as well and I have a sitter come just once in the afternoon to test and give her a snack depending on what number she throws at him. It's not ideal, but it's all I can do. So far she has been really good and has stayed safe, but I too have my moments of :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  16. Jill & Jade

I have A LOT of :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:! She was (re) diagnosed the same week I started a new job and I am SO lucky that I landed in a place where my bosses like me and have or have had cats. :cat:

17. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member