1/14 Missy pmps 283 +4 158 Can I reduce dose?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by DanaB, Jan 14, 2022.

1. DanaB

DanaB Member

I believe I might be avoiding numbers under 50 because Im intervening... but then how does she earn a reduction?

Missy is a long term diabetic and I often just reduce and raise her dose by a tiny bit using calipers.
    There has been 5 times this month (dates are highlighted in dark green) when I have given her a bit more carbs because I believed she was trending to low, too fast.
    She seems to have no pattern and is possible reactive to seafood, and maybe something else. I also believe she is sensative to carbs.

She dropped too low on Jan 3rd but I know usually its three times to earn a reduction for a long term diabetic.
    Can I count a times that I believe she would have gone low if I had not intervened?
    I just seems that when I give her even a little bit more carbs her BG ends up spiking...I'm hoping a tiny reduction might steady out her numbers.

:cat:Also If you could look at Rufus' spread sheet I feel the same about him earning a reduction.
    (He does not seem to be carb or ingredient sensitive, and is not a long term diabetic) I believe he is just bouncing because he is still adjusting to the lows.
    Or should I do a seperate thread for Rufus?

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

As a long term diabetic, reductions are earned with TR by going under 40 (not 50). Some people who have cats that don't hold reductions well, choose to do the 3 times between 40 and 49 on separate days (or once under 40) for reductions. Which are you following?

You are also holding doses too long for TR. Doses with green nadirs are held for 10 cycles.

As for giving a bit more carbs to keep her surfing safe greens, that is a good thing to do. That would ideally help her body get more used to greens, and be less bouncy.

Same comments about holding doses too long and use of higher carbs for Rufus.

3. DanaB

DanaB Member

For Missy I reduce after 3 under 50.... I forgot that I can reduce also after 1 below 40.
    I dont always change her dose after 10 cycles becasue she seems to take a long time to settle after bouncing, spiking or a dose change.
    So maybe I should change that she is SLGS?
    Last night I gave her 1 tsp of 8% carb mixed in with her 2% and it raised her BG more then I wanted... .thats why i though maybe if i dropped her dose a tiny bit then i wouldnt have to give her the med carbs and she might stay lower longer. Its been over a year on Lantus and she has had lots of greens.... I kinda thought she was use to the greens by now.:(

For Rufus I guess Im just nervous to raise him more then 3 units because its such a high dose and I believe he would also have dropped by now if I hadnt given him high carbs on Dec 23rd and medium carbs on Jan 10th. I will raise his dose as per TR and intervene with carbs as needed.

Thank you

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

SLGS would mean reductions if she went under 90, and as a result she would spend even less time in green, and likely bounce even more. You test enough for TR, but it's your call what you want to follow and what your goals are for Missy.

For Rufus, or any cat, they need the amount of insulin they need. 3 units is not a high dose, except when compared with Missy, but he's a different cat. ECID.

DanaB likes this.
  5. Marina & Chico

Marina & Chico Well-Known Member

Hi Dana, just wanted to tell you that a mix of 8% and 2% food is not high carb, all food with carb content under 10% is considered LC. You dont want to intervene with higher carb consistently because then it might be a sign of keeping them on a too high dose for too long but if its one intervention and then the following cycles nothing happens i wouldn’t worry about too high of a dose, when they want a reduction they will let you know :)
    Ask for dosing advice on the forum more consistently, it will definitely help you get to a good dose faster :)
    it’s incredible how you are joggling 2 cats with FD, must be a huge challenge :bighug:

6. DanaB

DanaB Member

I refer to the 8% as Medium Carb for Missy. (I have 13% as well if needed or for Rufus for Med carb) I do have some 23% and 27% high carb.
    Missys BG reacts very easy to carbs so I dont usually need HC. I use the 4-10% to adjust her curve when she is trending too low and the HC when BG is <50. If i dont intervene with the medium carbs then I believe her BG will drop below 50. That is why im having a hard time. Missys BG is so reactive. So its easy to avoid lows with a tiny bit more carbs but then she usuay spikes.

If i want her to earn a reduction then her BG has drop .... but Im being proactive to not let it drop. I feel like Im interveneing a lot lately...thats why I feel like she needs a reduction.:bookworm:

Her dose has been around 0.5-0.75 for over a year. I think I will always be adjusting.:(

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022