1/11 Pearl AMPS 307, +2 297 - what in the heck is going on?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Margaret (and Pearl), Jan 11, 2021.

1. Margaret (and Pearl)

Margaret (and Pearl) Well-Known Member

Good morning everyone!

Yesterday I upped Pearl's dose to 1.5U. We had SUCH a wonderful AM cycle in the BLUES, I thought "wow, this is working so well!" And then...the PM cycle ugh in the YELLOWS. Is it common for kitties to be higher during one cycle of the day, and lower in the other cycle?

And today she is still high! Started off PINK! Is this a normal start to a new dose? Is it possible the dose may still be "right" for her but she needs time adjusting, or are the high numbers indicators that we may not have reached her ideal dose yet? (The blues are throwing me off on this hypothesis).

I don't think she could have bounced yesterday - but maybe I am wrong? Did her body just not like all those lovely blues??

Link to yesterday's post: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...dose-increase-good-start.241290/#post-2716754

Thanks for reading and for your comments!

Tomlin and Butters & Lyla like this.
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Her body is not used to the lower numbers that she is seeing and she is "bouncing".

Bouncing is simply a natural reaction to what the cat's system perceives as a BG value that is "too low". "Too low" is relative. If a cat is used to BGs in the 200's, 300's, or higher for a long time, then even a BG that drops to 150 can trigger a "bounce". Bouncing can also be triggered if the blood glucose drops too low and/or too fast.The pancreas, then the liver, release glucogon, glycogen and counter-regulatory hormones. The end result is a dumping of "sugar" into the bloodstream to save the cat from going hypoglycemic from a perceived low. The action is often referred to as "liver panic" or "panicky liver". A bounce will clear kitty's system within 3 days (6 cycles).

As she gets used to lower numbers the bouncing will reduce. Some cats flatten out faster than others. Some bounce all the way to remission!

Here's a good explanation for bouncing:
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...tion-of-bouncing-that-helped-gussie-i.184405/

Butters & Lyla and thebigfuzz like this.
  3. Margaret (and Pearl)

Ah hah, so you DO believe she bounced yesterday, her entire AM cycle? Oh wow, that is good to know some cats keep bouncing and don't flatten out.

THANK YOU! for your input!

4. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

No, she started bouncing in her PM cycle in response to the lows she saw in the AM cycle. She could bounce for up to 6 cycles. Today is cycle 2 of the bounce. She could come down sooner than 6 cycles.

Bouncing is just a response to her going lower than she is used to. Lantus is dosed based on nadirs. How low the dose takes the cat. We ignore the ugly highs that come with bouncing and focus on the lows :)

5. Margaret (and Pearl)

Yes, makes sense. Got it! Thanks for helping me interpret her chart!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  6. Margaret (and Pearl)

Thank you for letting me know that!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

This is a save some strips kind of day. It gives you both a break.

8. Margaret (and Pearl)

Thanks! Yeah, we need it!!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Please remove the ? prefix. Thanks.

Margaret (and Pearl) likes this.
  10. Lina and Simba

Lina and Simba Member

I’m on the second bounce with Simba and it’s confusing! Last night I was worried about him going too low and I probably made his liver panic even more :D hopefully Pearl overcomes the bounce quickly :)