09/27 Jackson - AMPS 78, +2 108, +4.5 88💚, +6 108, +9 145

Good morning with a beautiful AMPS, after his birthday celebration!

My vet did not call me as expected.
His blood work looked good. The only thing that stuck out for me was his protien was +2 in his urine. His last result in March was 100 whatever that means.
View attachment 80466
Let's hope the vet contact you soon. So glad about the blood work.

About the protein, depending on the level of it, there is a medication to be used. I haven't started it yet with Mami... we will soon decide about it here. I hope Jackson does not need it. Did he have an SDMA test too?
 
Did he have an SDMA test too?
1790507358067.png
 
Neko had proteinuria too, not uncommon for acros. But we didn't treat it right away. We waited to make sure it wasn't a one off result. The next step would be a urine protein/creatinine ratio (UPCR) test. One of the causes of proteinuria is a high BP, so it's great your vet tested that and it's good. Same situation with Neko. If confirmed and the UPCR is high, then can be an early sign of kidney issues. You do want to treat a high UPCR as it can lead to speeding up kidney disease. Neko was on benazapril for it, and it kept the UPCR in range.

It is interesting to see how he is doing with just the 0.5 unit decrease last time. It's also been about 6 weeks since you went to SID cabergoline. His nadirs are almost where they were on 14 units, so I suspect a reduction will be coming soon. But looking at the SS, you must be exhausted. :bighug: Where is that bounce when you want it? However, it does look like the BCS is kicking in now, hopefully letting you sleep tonight.
 
it does look like the BCS is kicking in now
Or the bounce.

I actually did okay last night waking up to my alarms and being able to go back to sleep after each test, sleeping on the couch of course.

Thanks for the information on the Urine Protein.
How long should I wait to get another urinalysis. I like to bring my vet some goodies for Christmas. Maybe that would be a good time?
 
Okay. My vet usually just asks me what I want and we discuss that.
I will probably take him back in 6 months then in March.
I think that's why she didn't call me, because she knows I know a little about blood work and it all looks pretty good to me. She often says I know more about cats than vets do. Probably just trying to humor me.

I told her about the bagels and her eyes lit up, and she said with cream cheese?
Maybe, I'll find some place that can deliver bagels with cream cheese to them for breakfast on Christmas Eve 🥰

I even got him to loose a little bit of weight. He almost kills me lugging his massive self to my car. After I return home from the vet appointment, I put his carrier on ground and open it and let him "walk" home on his leash. Nornally he races and pulls me, this last time he walked on a pretty loose leash. He used to sometimes cough because he was tugging on his harness so hard. Good Boy!
 
Wendy, thank you so much for this information. I’ll definitely look into it further, too. Dyana, I am reflecting and learning from your post...

Mami Cat has proteinuria, and I’m seriously considering switching to another nephrologist so she can be monitored more closely.

Her kidney values tend to worsen when the Mycoplasma is active, which causes significant inflammation and anemia in her. So I’m still unsure if her kidney issues are chronic or partly related to these inflammatory episodes. The second Mycoplasma species is now resolving, and once this episode is over, I’ll reassess her kidneys.

I’m also trying to reduce her phosphorus intake, although that’s more challenging because I need to keep her diet low-carb.

Options in Brazil that meet both requirements are limited to none. I’m trying to find the right one. I’m also considering switching her to a homemade diet.

Thank you for this!

 
Back
Top