09/07 Blaze PMPS 347

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Blaze and Paola, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Blaze and Paola

Blaze and Paola Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/sept-6th-blaze-and-paola.234797/#post-2628306

@Critter Mom @tiffmaxee

Good morning everyone,
    Last day off for me...
    Will try to enjoy it even though, my anxiety level for both my boy and the new work reality is starting to rise.
    I hope I find a routine that works for everyone.
    Mogs, how is your girl? And how is her mom?

Blaze ate, not as much as usual but he ate something. As you know both my boys have always been grazers. They like to eat a couple of kibbles here and there during the day. I hope this is still ok when I am here, but also (and especially) when I am gone, in case Blaze needs immediate food.

I am going to go lay down again for a little bit, I have a headache :/

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Morning, Paola.

I can really relate to your nervousness about returning to work, but the BG data you've been gathering over the last days show you how Blaze is responding to his insulin. As the data accumulates you'll build up a better and better picture. I'm glad to hear that Blaze is eating steadily, even if it's just grazing. Are you planning to use the timed feeders while you're at work?

Lúnasa (aka The Noodle) is OK today, Paola. Her BP is just above the normal range (without the med) and her pees have gone back to normal volume so her hydration is better, and she's drinking steadily too. I skipped her anti-nausea med last night as a precaution and the poor creatúir barfed up her first brekkie. :( She ate OK after that, thank God. Her mama's reeling a bit after yesterday's shock but hanging in there. I'm even more tired than usual. Hey ho! :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear you have a headache. I hope the lie down helps. :bighug:

Mogs

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If I may ask a favor....

We use a specific format for subject lines on this board. It helps those of us who scan the board to identify if there's a problem, if someone needs help, etc. The information on daily threads is in the New to the Group sticky. Basically, we ask that you note the date, your cat's name, and the results of your tests. If you look at the board, you'll have a better idea of what this looks like.

Thanks.

Blaze and Paola likes this.
  4. Blaze and Paola

I am running out of the OneTouch Verio Flex strips. I have to decide if buying more lancets and test strips for it or start using the Alphatrak.

The OneTouch Verio Flex strips and lancets are not covered by my pet insurance.

Anything related to Blaze's diabetes, including pet meter test strips and lancets are covered 80%.

I got used to the human meter readings and this board works around human meters.

I don't know if the formula to convert human meters readings to pet meters is correct. I read the thread on this board about it.

Someone had posted:

human meters / 0.65 = pet meter estimate
    pet meter * 0.65 = human meter estimate

Is this something I can go by? When I look at the different spread sheets, the coloured ranges listed at the top for the Alphatrak are the same as the ones for the human meters...only difference in the lowest dark green number (3.8 in the Alphatrak SS and 2.7 in the human meter one).

Can I still be part of this board if I start using the pet meter?

I don't know what to do! And I want to stock up on test strips and lancets in the next week.

Help :/

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Good morning. You can use the AT meter. The methods used here were designed with a human meter but many use the AT mostly because that’s what their vet uses. You really can’t compare meters. What we do know is they read higher than human ones. So while under 50 earns a reduction with a human meter, that number on the AT is 68. So be prepared to see higher numbers. And if course you can remain on the board!

It’s fine for them to graze. Have you tried the auto feeders? I’d try to say to see if he goes over to eat. You might need to place him there when about to open so he gets the idea.

Critter Mom and Blaze and Paola like this.
  6. Blaze and Paola

Thank you Tiff :bighug: yes i am using the autofeeder for the dry. I put a little bit in the pockets and i set it up so that 2.5 hours before dinner and breakie it turns to empty. In the morning and in the evening they eat their wet fiests in their own bowls. They are so used to their feeding corner that i kept it consistent....way too many changes lately.

So during the day, they have this at their disposal:
    Left overs from morning preshot wet food (Blaze ignores it, Ash eats a few bites sometimes).
    A few dry food pieces in the autofeeder (both cats eat a few pieces here and there).

As far as the alphatrak, thank you for your answer. I have uploaded the ATrak SS to my profile. I will leave the human meter data accumulated these past few days as well for continuity. Today, I will test using AT and record there. I might as well break the ice and use that. I need to be able to have the funds to treat my boys. Insurance coverage will help.

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. tiffmaxee

As long as you pick up the food two hours before it’s fine to leave the dry out the rest of the time to free feed. If ever he starts lower than usual but high enough to shoot youncan out some higher carb food in the auto feeder.

8. Blaze and Paola

Got it. That sounds perfect.
    Can you do me a favor and check if the first reading I just did on Blaze's ATrak spreadsheet is visible?

9. tiffmaxee

I see the sheet but it’s blank.

10. Blaze and Paola

Ok, did something wrong, gonna redo

11. Blaze and Paola

Can you try now?

12. Blaze and Paola

In the human meter spread sheet, when I entered numbers under the World mmol/L it would automatically give the the equivalent number in the US mg in the other page. For some reason, with this Alphatrak Spreadsheet when I enter the number in the World mmol, it does not automatically populate the US page

13. tiffmaxee

14. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Tagging @Bandit's Mom to help with your spreadsheet.
    For now, use your regular spreadsheet. Don't start a new one. Just create a horizontal row separating the human meters tests from the pet meter tests. In that row, type "switched to alphatrak."

15. Red & Rover (GA)

Great minds. Morning, Elise.

16. Blaze and Paola

Thank you for the suggestion, I just added the row. This can work for now, but I hope I can fix the problem in the other one. Thank you for the help everyone.

Critter Mom likes this.
  17. Blaze and Paola

For some unknown reason the Spreadsheet fixed itself. The new Alphatrack sheet I added is not converting properly.

18. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Paola

I can help ypu with your SS issues. I see you have linked both the SS (human meter as well as AT) to your signature.
    I can merge them for you if you give me edit access. I will send you a PM with details on how to do that. :)

19. Blaze and Paola

Great thank you

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  20. Critter Mom

I'm signing off for the night, Paola (still wobbly after yesterday's events).

I just wanted to pop in to wish you all the best for your first day back at school and that all will go safely and soundly with Blaze.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

21. Blaze and Paola

:bighug::bighug:Thank you so much Mogs! Rest well

Critter Mom likes this.
  22. tiffmaxee

Your new ss is working. Yea! Any nagging questions about what to do for Blaze before you leave for work? I’ll be around tonight, off and on but asleep when you start your day.

23. Blaze and Paola

Help! I saw blood on the needle after giving his shot!

24. Blaze and Paola

Did I just give it in his blood stream??? what now

25. Blaze and Paola

26. Blaze and Paola

Hi, please help, I saw a tiny drop of blood on the tip of the needle after giving my cat the shot...what now??

27. tiffmaxee

Relax. You hit a blood vessel. He will be fine. You can remove the 911.

28. Blaze and Paola

Is he going to drop really quickly now?

29. tiffmaxee

Maybe a little faster than usual. I did it once and didn’t see a difference. It’s scary when you see blood, I know.

30. Blaze and Paola

I am truly horrible at this...His life is in my hands and I can't even get it together

31. tiffmaxee

You are doing fine. It’s not easy. I burst into tears when I started reading about FD. It terrified me. I was angry that others just shot blindly and got curves done very few months. Tgey were lucky they didn’t kill their cats. You have learned how to keep Blaze safe. Deep breaths. Yoga maybe?

Critter Mom likes this.
  32. Blaze and Paola

No way I am going to sleep tonight...I am in tears right now. I want to help him no kill him. I will test more often to see where he is at.
    For tomorrow I have set the autofeeders to turn twice during the day when I am not there and my neighbour offered to come check on him. She works from home. tonight she came over and met the boys...they liked her which is a huge plus.

Critter Mom and tiffmaxee like this.
  33. tiffmaxee

All will be fine. That’s great your neighbor will check. Maybe she will learn to test?

34. Blaze and Paola

Yes she is willing to,, she also volunteers at the local shelter and has a cat herself. Ì will teach her how to test and shoot. Teach....i don't even know how to do it properly...only thing i am getting better at is testing and it is much easier with the alphatrak i find.
    I just tested him and he dropped a lot in 1 hr

35. Blaze and Paola

thankfully he ate a lot tonight and snacking on a few dry pieces right now.

Critter Mom likes this.
  36. Red & Rover (GA)

The small drop of blood has happened to us all, Paola. It honestly is not a biggie.
    Put another loonie in the jar.

You've got this. That is what the last week has been about.

What about setting up a baby cam or two that you can check while you are at work? Would that help ease the anxiety?

37. Blaze and Paola

I have 1 already and bought 2 more! The extra 2 I ordered are arriving tomorrow

38. tiffmaxee

Which ones do you have?

39. Blaze and Paola

I have the YI ones, they are amazing HD and reasonable in price

Critter Mom likes this.
  40. Blaze and Paola

This is the one I have had for about 2 years...the other 2 are same make but look a little different

Attached Files:

41. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I have merged your two posts from today. Due to the large number of kitties on this forum, it gets really hard to follow the latest updates if you have more than one post per day. If you have a new issue come up, just go to your first post and edit the thread title to include the new issue/question. And you can remove the issue/questions words from the title once the question has been answered.

Thank you!

By the way, I'm sure all of us have nicked a blood vessel at one time or another.

42. Blaze and Paola

Thank you very much and sorry about all my posting mistakes...I am new to this and learning...

43. Wendy&Neko

No worries, we were all new once. :bighug:

44. Blaze and Paola

Elise, at +2 he is at 14.2/256 (Alphatrak), roughly 9.3/168 (Human) He is dropping quickly, at what point do you think he will start to go back up?

45. tiffmaxee

Let me look at the ss. Be right back.

46. tiffmaxee

We will know more after +3. Dropping earlier he might stop earlier but too soon to tell.

47. Blaze and Paola

Ok, gonna do a +3 and +4. Gonna make my bed for when I am ready to get in it but for now, I am gonna hang out on the couch. He loves the basement and that's where he sleeps at night.

Critter Mom likes this.
  48. Wendy&Neko

Sorry, one more housekeeping favour to ask. Could you keep the subject line up to date with the latest test data. And please keep the spreadsheet up to date. I think you are using the AT now for some reason? But I see no dates in that spreadsheet. And by the way, there is no reason to switch spreadsheets when you switch meters. That just makes it more confusing. It's easier just to keep the one spreadsheet going, put a blank line between where you stop using the old type of meter and when you start the new one.

49. tiffmaxee

I’ll keep an eye out. Remove the ? In case you have another put it back.

50. Blaze and Paola

I did all of the above now thank you

51. Blaze and Paola

He is still dropping quickly...

52. tiffmaxee

Are you using AT? It’s not much of a drop. Let’s see +4.

Critter Mom likes this.
  53. Blaze and Paola

54. tiffmaxee

So would be blu on human one. That’s ok.

55. Blaze and Paola

One of the moderators told me i didn't need a second spreadsheet. I am on the original one and I continuing to fill the data recorded on the Alphatrak there. I added a blank line

Critter Mom likes this.
  56. Blaze and Paola

Gonna do a +4

57. tiffmaxee

Yes. That’s good. Last time I looked I it was the new one. This is better as we can see all your past.

Critter Mom likes this.
  58. Blaze and Paola

+4 is the same as +3

59. tiffmaxee

You are good. That would be anywhere from mid to high hundreds on the human meter. Good luck tomorrow. I hope you gave a good day. Try not to worry about your fur babies. Ask yiu r neighbor to coax them to eat a little when she visits.

60. Blaze and Paola

Ok thank you so much, have a great night too. Fingers crossed everything goes well for me but mostly for the boys. I will tell my neighbour to get them to eat a little yes. Hopefully he won't drop anymore now. Going to bed and thank you again,
    Paola

Critter Mom likes this.
  61. tiffmaxee

Good night.

62. Red & Rover (GA)

Night, Paola.

Not that I'll be on, but what time will you be testing and shooting in the morning?

63. Blaze and Paola

Tomorrow testing at 6.55 am, eating, shooting at 7:15 am

64. Critter Mom

Delighted to hear your neighbour's going to help you, Paola! :D

Wishing you a great first day at school, Paola, and asking the kitty gods to watch over Blaze for you. :)

Mogs