? 09/06 Ramone pmps 63

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Jerica&ramone, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Jerica&ramone

Jerica&ramone Member

Has anyone found if you have your acro/IAA kitty at cat boarding/ cat hotel there #s always drop?? Today we almost had a hypo. He read 2.5 at +8 ... and I haven’t seen a # that low in months and I test alll the time. And he even got a half dose last nights evening shot as his PMPS was 4.3 so I advised a half dose to try and drain the depot a bit, I’d rather him be a bit high than too low .. And have also reduced dose now 2 x from 11.5 u to 10.5 this am at at 9.7 amps. Has anyone ever experienced this? It makes me never want to leave him ever again? I know these are good #s 2.5 is kinda scary tho and why does this have to happen when I’m not there to take care of him!?? Don’t cats #s usually go up when out of their normal routine not drop? We skipped insulin tonight as he was only 3.5 at his PMPS tonight... I just don’t get it.
    Am I reducing to quick or doing something wrong???

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Do you have any blood sugar numbers from the hotel? Can you update your spreadsheet?

When last we'd discussed dose while you were gone, I said that a dose with higher blues is better than one with lower blues when you are going away. Since you saw green just before you left, I would have dropped the dose another unit while you were gone. Some kitties don't eat as much at a strange place. Some cats numbers go down with stress. Neko was one, her numbers often tanked at the vet.

As for an explanation, you are dealing with both IAA and acromegaly. The acro tumour can wax and wane, causing a change in insulin demands, though it's not an overnight huge drop in dose thing. The IAA is a bit different. The autoantibodies grab onto and let go of the injected insulin at random (to us) times. More important, IAA is said to be self limiting, after about a year. Ramone has been on insulin over a year, it's possible the IAA is starting to reduce.

3. Jerica&ramone

Jerica&ramone Member

Hi sorry I won’t be able to update his ss until I’m home. I do have all his #s though.
    I also did do a post on lantus board looking for dosing advice before my trip here bc I did see that green and wasn’t sure what to do but unfortunately no one replied :(
    I guess Ramone is one of those cats that #s drop while being outside of his Normal routine. He’s been eating and bathroom well. There’s cameras in each room so I can always take a look see at what they’re up too.

So with the IAA I feel like I’ve been told he can go through these break through a of the autoantibodies- does this come and go as well? Like all the sudden it slows down then can ramp up again? I feel like I’ve had several instances where all the sudden the dose I have him at is far too much or not enough.
    I guess you can’t tell if it’s the tumor or the IAA.

I’ve reduced Ramones dose to just 5 units for remaining of his stay and he’s staying between 250-370 I know that’s not ideal but I didn’t want anything to happen while I’m not there. I’ll get his #s back down when I’m back home.

I wish I had better options for him for when/if I do head out of town. It’s not often I do and especially not now. I don’t have family/ friends that could come live in to take care of him and also it’s a lot of work and pressure too.
    And he doesn’t do the greatest in cars either otherwise I’d take him both my boys with me !

Back home tomorrow can’t wait to get my guys home

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Once the antibodies break, they go away - though not the next day but rather as they die off.

In general for the future, a dose where they are seeing green is not a good one for boarding. Neko hated car travel, until she got used to it.