08/24 Butters AMPS 205/+1 328/+4 320/+9 279/PMPS 241/+1 295/+2 281/+8 346/Increased tonight

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Butters & Lyla, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Yesterday
    I got a +10 this morning: 326.
    This is cycle 6 dosing 1.25u. May be time to start talking about an increase later today...

Have a lovely day/evening, all.

2. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

That's a decent little dip from +10 to AMPS for little Butters this morning. I wonder if she will have an exciting day?

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Butters keeps sliding down for you and surfs safely.

4. Butters & Lyla

I was wondering, too! :)
    Even accounting for a food bump, that 328 @ +1 is a pretty good indication that it is unlikely to be an exciting day. :(

thebigfuzz likes this.
  5. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

6. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I'd be changing my calipers...time for that increase Butters - hear that? The threat is real...

Either move it or lose it pretty girl...(lose that dose)...she needs more help ...

7. Butters & Lyla

I'm giving her a poke break until later this cycle. And, if you would be changing your calipers in this situation, then I'm going to change mine. :)

+4 is still 320. She seems so stuck in the 300s. I'm not okay with her being stuck in these numbers, as I know it is not good for her health. I wish I knew why she didn't react to the increase to 1.25u that she received six cycles ago.

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hope if you increase you start seeing better numbers, these cats
    Have a good day Lyla

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  9. Sue and Luci

I'm waiting for my boss - he's just finished with his 2nd surgical case...so will be popping in any minute...

But I wanted to take a moment to try to explain to you what happens about previously 'effective doses' - try to put that in the rear view mirror.

The pancreas is a funny thing...sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - has something to do with beta cells and a lot of scientific gobbledygook...sometime when you're feeling up to it, you can do a little research and see what they've discovered about feline pancreas' it's pretty interesting ...

but the long and short of it is, you just can't look back on what worked previously but doesn't work now - so many people look back at their SS's and puzzle about why a dose that worked once doesn't work now - just like us, our cats change from day to day...and unfortunately sometimes that poor little broken pancreas just isn't up to the task right now...it's the same as when it is working - and surprise you'll get a lot of greens with a little bit of insulin - because their pancreas is chipping in and getting the job of regulating that blood glucose very well...

That's the basic reason why our kitties have diabetes - because that pancreas is just not keeping up with the demand...so lately Butters looks like her pancreas is on vacation - or resting - and she needs your help to give her the insulin that is needed by her body to manage that blood glucose - because it does need to be managed for her - since her pancreas isn't producing the insulin - naturally - that she's needing.

Hang in there - you're doing a great job...just gotta be patient with that little pancreas and help her while it's recovering - just remember every time she's in the greens that pancreas is getting better...and it's called 'healing time' for a reason...

Hope that helps :) Have a great day!!!

10. Butters & Lyla

Thank you so much, Sue. I appreciate that you took the time and explained this so simply :). I have been blaming myself a whole lot lately for her numbers, wondering everything from whether I have been giving fur shots to whether I miscalculated the carbs in her usual LC food, and of course, the switching to calipers and her getting much less insulin as a result. Okay, I still feel guilty about that last one. :) But overall I feel a little bit lighter and my mind slightly quieter. Ditching the rear view mirror and focusing on looking forward. Thank you.

KittenTheCat and Sue and Luci like this.
  11. Lisa & Oberon

Lisa & Oberon Well-Known Member

Sue, that was very helpful for me to read, too! I'm in a similar situation and have been trying to figure out why Oberon's numbers aren't coming down at 1.25 U when he clearly reacted early on to 0.5 U. Lyla, I'm probably a day behind you on that dose increase!

12. Butters & Lyla

I'm so glad you read what Sue wrote! I was going to "@" you about it, then came here to find you read it. I hope it makes you feel better about Oberon, too.
    I shot 1.5u tonight...tell Oberon to be good or he's next. ;)

Lisa & Oberon likes this.
  13. Sue and Luci

I wish I could draw a picture of that little pancreas...it's got a little tired face today on your kitties @Butters & Lyla and @Lisa & Oberon - that little guy is just pooped out...and has it's little tiny feet up on the sofa...just kinda taking a little nap...only problem is it's so tired and worn out, it's having trouble waking up from that nap...:facepalm:

So while that little guy is resting, help him out and gently, slowly and carefully, increase the dose of 'helper juice' aka insulin - that you're giving. The thing with these little pancreas fellows, is the darn thing wakes up from it's nap and gets all energized and says, 'Hey I can help!'...and starts making insulin and making a contribution...and that's when you've got to back off from the help aka insulin you're giving...and let the little fellow help out...but then he'll get tired again...and well 'sigh'...just gotta sit down and maybe even put it's tiny feet up again and take another snooze...how long will he rest for this time? No one really knows...but when you're helping with the insulin you give and get those greens, it's really hard to tell if he's actually allowing a little bit of homegrown insulin go...or if he's holding onto it tightly while he's resting - but the green numbers are healing numbers...so either way, that pancreas is happy when those numbers are down - less demand - so he's not running so fast on his tiny little 'gerbil wheel' trying to crank out the insulin...:D

And then let's not even get started on what Mr. Liver thinks of all this activity...because he's the guy in charge of STORAGE! He's constantly storing a supply of gylcogen (sugar basically) JUST IN CASE! He's a real life-saver when it comes down to it...because when that blood sugar goes too low (from your contribution and little pancreas fellow working a little too much)...then he comes to the 'rescue' and dumps a nice big load of sugar into that bloodstream...because he doesn't want anything bad to happen to those organs - like the brain and heart and other important organs that need that 'food'...sugar is a form of energy to the body...and that makes everyone happy except for you...and well, the liver gets a little over-enthusiastic sometimes and dumps all it's got reserved and then there's too much sugar in the blood stream and that's not really a very good thing either - all that sugar coursing through the veins isn't very healthy...kinda hard on those kidneys to deal with all that sugar then...:woot:

And so it goes...it's a real merry go round in there with all these players...so just test, test, test...and count based on your dosing method - since those are tried and true and will help you with the pace of a healthy progress back towards a regulated orchestra in there...:joyful:

And for now...I'm pooped just writing about it...:rolleyes:

Have a great evening ladies :bighug:

14. Butters & Lyla

Thank you, Sue. :bighug: Such a great explanation for us newbies especially.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  15. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha Member

It sure is! Thanks for all the information!

16. AliceR

AliceR Member

Someone needs to make a cute little cartoon about this I'm picturing everything in my mind pancreas with his feet up the liver holding bags of sugar the kidneys cowering in fear and there's the dear human staring quizzically at all three of them while the cat sleeps peacefully at his feet.

DH can draw, I'll see If he wants to play.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  17. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

Brilliant, just brilliant explanation.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  18. BellaBlue82

BellaBlue82 Member

I saw a redirect to this thread from a more recent thread... And I just have to say, it makes me feel a lot better! Lol I was beating myself up about why numbers are higher, then lower, then ok for a while then not... Truly sheds light on what's happening and how I can help!
    Love this post. ❤️

Heather82372 likes this.