08/18 Mickey - AMPS 458, Furshot, +6 473

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by wjamyers, Aug 18, 2022.

1. wjamyers

wjamyers New Member

We had 16 full cycles with no furshots after reducing to 1.5. based on repeated 500s. I've collected much more +10 and +11 data since then.

It looks like even at 1.5 we were bouncing, today I was hoping to stop bouncing but I did the furshot.

I have no idea whether should drop to 1 or stay with 1.5.

upload_2022-8-18_17-13-8.png

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Your previous post
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/8-8-mickey-6-391.266891/

You don’t have any night tests which makes to hard for any members to give advice.
    If you can’t get the required tests in for TR then you should follow SLGS and reduce if a bg is under 90.

SLGS: You hold a dose for 7 days (unless a reduction is earned). You decrease the dose when the BG falls below 90. The aim of this protocol is to keep the cat in the 90-150 range. This is more suited for caregivers who can't test as much as TR requires. You do a weekly curve with SLGS.

TR is a more aggressive protocol with increases as often as every 3-5 days. Reductions are earned when the BG falls below 50. The aim is to keep the cat in the range of 50-100 (which is the normal BG range for cats). To follow TR, you would need to get at least one more test per cycle in addition to the pre-shot one i.e. 2 tests per cycle or 4 tests per day. You would also need to be feeding only LC canned food and no dry food.

If I were you for the PM cycle I would be testing @+3, @+6, and @+9
    Next night @+4 @+7
    Mix them up like filling in the pieces of a puzzle

We have no idea what's going on during the PM cycle

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
    Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@tiffmaxee

@Suzanne & Darcy

@Wendy&Neko

@Bron and Sheba (GA)

I gave him some information above

4. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I would read Diane’s information above. Also, have you read the sticky notes on dosing? It does not appear that any reduction is in order based on the high numbers. I would say to please try to test more and to follow the protocol that will work for you. Please do try to set alarms and get a few night time tests.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It is extremely common for cats to go lower at night, then bounce and do higher numbers during the day time. We determine how to change the dose based on how low it's taking the cat. That's why you'll hear and read so many of us harp on about night time tests. The data I see now says either he's bouncing (and getting lower at night, possibly needing a reduction) or not enough insulin and he needs a dose increase. If you could get a couple of tests at night and post here once you've got that data, that'll help us suggest what needs to happen to the dose.

You don't have to get up in the middle of the night to get a second test in the PM. If you are up at least 2-3 hours after the PM shot, then get a before bed test. If the +2 or +3 test is quite a bit lower than the preshot, then you might need a later test. One tip is to drink a large glass of water before bed then test when you have to get up.

Fur shot happen to all of us. What I used to do was put either FS or PFS beside the number in the Units column, so it was immediately obvious when that was done. A fur shot will drain the depot so is important in dosing considerations.

6. wjamyers

wjamyers New Member

Thanks for the replies.

I will wait for a couple of days with no fur shots and begin gathering other numbers.