08/09 Ginny AMPS 245 | +2 = 236 | +8 = 67 | +10 = 83 | PMPS 194 |

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kimmy & Ginny, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Kimmy & Ginny

Kimmy & Ginny Member

Ginny's previous Condo Link Here

Ginny has had some pretty even yellow and blue numbers in the last few days. I was wondering about when the next dose increase might be due? She went up to 1.25u last week. Starting to think 1.5u might be perfect for her.

AMPS in mg/dl = 13.6

Hope everyone is going alright <3

2. Kimmy & Ginny

Kimmy & Ginny Member

New duplicate of above post to correct mistake

Ginny's previous Condo Link Here

Ginny has had some pretty even yellow and blue numbers in the last few days. I was wondering about when the next dose increase might be due? She went up to 1.25u last week. Starting to think 1.5u might be perfect for her.

AMPS in mmol/L = 13.6

Hope everyone is going alright <3

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Your ss says method NA. May I ask what that means?

Since you got a 79 we usually wait 10 cycles to increase with TR. it looks like it’s safe to increase in another day unless you see green or a reduction is earned.

Kimmy & Ginny likes this.
  4. Kimmy & Ginny

Kimmy & Ginny Member

N/A not applicable. It means I don't have one. I've been just BG checking and dosing. if I had to say which that is, I would say it's the SLGS method, but the vet started her out on TR to get her out of DKA so I honestly don't know. Thank you for the feedback :)

5. tiffmaxee

I knew it meant not applicable but I guess it’s custom dosing. I assumed your vet is telling you when to reduce or increase. With our SLGS method reductions are taken if under 90. With TR reductions are under 50. So if following SLGS you would reduce rather than increase. Some people do SLGS with a lower reduction number after their cat has been on insulin a year or more but we don’t feel comfortable with cats new to insulin doing that. It’s best to give the method a try and follow it. So what do you think about that?

6. Kimmy & Ginny

Kimmy & Ginny Member

I read the SLGS and TR guide but to be honest, it kind of all went over my head. They seemed so similar, I couldn't quite grasp the subtleties. I have no idea what to think. All I know is I had three people (on the FDMBs) telling me to increase Ginny's dose and last week I did. At this point, I'm following the guidance given here because my vets aren't collaborating with me very well (or at all). I took Ginny in to them last Tuesday and they said they would get back to me via text once they looked at the BG info I gave them. They never got back to me. So that's when I finally decided to follow the advice here about going up to 1.25u last week.
    So in short, I'm still very very confused.

7. tiffmaxee

I’ll give you my take on the methods. Then you get to decide. TR gives the best chance for remission. I don’t like that with SLGS you need to take back to back reductions because they rarely work. With TR if a reduction is not successful you can go back up to the last dose that was working. We avoid back to back reductions by feeding carbs with TR.

You didn’t take a reduction when the bg was 79 and Ginny is doing fine. I think had you reduced the bg would be higher. That’s my two cents but you hold the syringe. I will add that whoever you decide is not set in stone. You can go back and forth and try them out. We just need to know a method to give you advice.

Take a look at other spreadsheets and see the difference. Look at Ben and Squirrel. She started with SLGS and switched to TR. She was really scared at first and almost went back to SLGS but conquered her fears. He’s starting an otj trial tomorrow. I can’t promise that will happen with your cat and can’t say Ben would not have done this well on SLGS but I don’t think so.

8. Kimmy & Ginny

Kimmy & Ginny Member

Alright, new question: nadirs - how low is too low? I'm keeping an eye on Ginny's BG at the moment because her nadir has never (to my knowledge) been this low before. While they're good numbers, I do still feel wary of a hypo... As there's still 4 hours before her PMPS, I decided to give her some food to ensure it doesn't go any lower; a small LC snack. I don't normally feed her outside of the twice daily (I know I can but due to my erratic work schedule, I don't).
    Cheers

9. tiffmaxee

It depends on which method. With TR a reduction is earned if under 50. With SLGS it’s under 90. It’s good you fed her. If she’s under 140 at PMPS stall, don’t feed, and post for advice as to whether to give insulin. I’m going up bed but will tag Bhooma yo watch out for you. @Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom and Kimmy & Ginny like this.
  10. Kimmy & Ginny

Kimmy & Ginny Member

Thanks, Tiff is it? Have a good sleep, ta for your advice <3

11. tiffmaxee

I’m Elise. Tiffany and Max were my cats. Max was the one with fd.

12. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

It's good to feed small snacks to keep them surfing. Especially in lower numbers. Snacks in the first part of the cycle (Especially before onset) can help prevent dives and smoothen the curve.

I see she is flat at +9. Maybe another small snack and you can call it a night.

13. Kimmy & Ginny

Kimmy & Ginny Member

Thanks but this is just the tail end of the AMPS. ;)

14. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

my two cents: TR is the way to go and has the best chance for getting Ginny into remission. We are about to see the 19th cat go into remission this year on TR, here at the LLB forum. SLGS has not produced any cats in remission yet this year, to my knowledge.

TR is more aggressive and can require a bit more attention, testing, and engagement with your kitty's diabetes. I work from home (or did, last six months) so I was able to do TR easier than someone who does not, but it is not impossible to do TR while working away from home 40 hours a week. It has been done many times.