07/28 Leo amps 321, +5=132, +5.20=129, +6=165, pmps 515, +8=356

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Leocat, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Leocat

Leocat Member

2. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

Leo saw some decent numbers today. I wouldn't have reduced him just yet. Since you're following SLGS Leo's reduction # is 90. It looks like you were starting to see the effects of the increase you gave yesterday. I would have held this dose until Leo hit the reduction # for SLGS(90). Just my thoughts:) Maybe I'll draw some attention to your thread so others will chime in with their opinion(s).
    Have a wonderful evening.

3. Leocat

Leocat Member

Thanks you for your thoughts, I honestly don’t know what dose would be best, I know I didn’t followed the SLGS protocol but ...
    It’s frustrating to see this chaotic numbers I don’t feel the benefits of insulin ... just the stress of too big or too low numbers and the bounce instability ...
    he is bouncing again .. is this price worth paying ?
    I got different opinions from the group About his dose, personally I think the 1.5 ui will grow effect on him and I’ll soon see a low number for reduction as it happened before ...
    maybe I’ll get more thoughts from more people and manage to take best decision...

Briere Fur Mom likes this.
  4. Briere Fur Mom

Just remember, Leo's body is use to the higher numbers. When he sees anything that resembles a normal # his body panics, releasing stored glucose(glycogen), which results in the bouncing. It may take him a bit of time to get the hang of things.
    Patience is an asset dealing with feline diabetes. I'm sure you've heard it mentioned before; FD isn't a sprint...it's a marathon. Hang in there :bighug:
    The other thing is he may need a heavier hand, like the TR dosing guideline. Reduction #s are lower and you can increase doses sooner. You're testing enough to do TR. Just more thoughts:p;)

5. Leocat

Leocat Member

Indeed I was suggested to try TR by other members too, I just didn’t felt comfortable with the grater chance of hypo.. I’ll give it another read to the sticky note..
    He’s up for his next rode in 2 hours .. so I should give him 1.5 ui again ? Or hold the 1.25 ui?
    I was think to slowly reduce his dose and see how his body works on lower dose

6. Briere Fur Mom

I understand your concern about hypo. When you start seeing lower #s, that's where the mind tends to go. Lower#s leading to hypo events is preventable. That's why testing is so important. You stay ahead of the lower #s and control the cycle with carb manipulation if needed. Your always in control of the cycle as long as you test. I'm not trying to persuade you to do TR. It's a matter of comfort and what you feel is in the best interest of your kitty. TR is however the best choice for achieving remission. In time once you get more comfortable with the idea of lower #s, you may change your mind. If you want...take a look at my boy Ittle's SS(not much to look at for this year). His #s reflect a normal cat's #s. He achieved remission last November.
    As far as dosing...I don't give that type of advice unfortunately. I'm not sure if you should just hold this dose for the week(SLGS guidelines) or go back up to 1.5u.
    Lemme tag someone that knows FAR more than I. I hope you get an answer soon:bighug:

@Wendy&Neko dose suggestion?

7. SingsToCats

SingsToCats Member

Was Leo diagnosed in June?

I understand how hard this is. I'm still trying to get my cat regulated. If you decide to reduce, you need to give his body time to adjust.

How low are you thinking of taking his dose?

8. Leocat

Leocat Member

Wendy asked me few days ago in another post why did I increased since Leo should have gotten a decrease 2 weeks ago when he hit 77...
    I was thinking to hold 1.25 ui for 3 days, then lower to 1 for another 3 days and see how it goes..
    Another reason for which I avoid TR is that he must eat well, my cats are getting bored very fast of same food ...they loved FF pates but in a week they stopped eating now I throw it out untasted... due to it I have donated most of the ordered food to other cats that eat it happily ... in the past month and half I had to do extraordinary shoppings to try to make them eat Cause after 1-2-10 portions of the same they will refuse the food ... they have at least 6 meals in 24 hours .. each night I leave 4 different types of food for them to eat but most gets thrashed despite its expensive food from the Low carb list ..so feeding them different food at every meal and totally new at each few days it’s also difficult as now I’m a bit out of options. Before they used to graze on dry food and have 3-4 pouches of wet food in 24 h.
    Leo was diagnosed in June, vet quickly set him on Lantus, and after few days wanted me to give him 2 types of insulin, Mixtard at am and Lantus at pm, I been to other 2 vets and sadly all recommended me Mixtard... but I decided to ignore the Mixtard prescription and follow the forum cause here there were more logical and helpful informations. My concern is that I dont see insulin helping Leo, he was in steady 300-370 on high carb food without insulin, now I saw green numbers but black too even when on low carb food, I understand he needs insulin and that the odd numbers it’s wonkiness and so on but overall I don’t see him going in a lower number trend, or I’m doing something wrong ...
    I looked at Nova sheet and it’s a visible improvement in lower numbers since you started TR, but I can’t test as much as you are testing there ... sigh .. it’s very good the forum exists and I can get support but some days are very challenging
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MXNzpjKkm4GGEr1m9xMUFXeirEEPMTxgqcAA2y6d8aA/edit

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  9. Briere Fur Mom

Wendy's already spoken with you, I see. I apologize for tagging her.:facepalm: Good she didn't reply anyway:rolleyes::smuggrin:
    I hope you can figure things out...Leo is very precious:cat:
    Have a wonderful day:)