? 06-23 Panzer PMPS 288/304@+3/322@+4/246@+7/275@+8/ BLOODWORK ON LABS?/DOSE INCREASE?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chrispooky12, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Chrispooky12

Chrispooky12 Well-Known Member

Panzer went to the vet yesterday & they told me the pancreatitis test was over $400 so they did a super chem instead. I posted his numbers in his labs on his spreadsheet. There is no SDMA # & the vet said we should be able to tell if he has pancreatitis by other #s being elevated. He won't be in until next Tuesday. If anyone can tell by his labs whether or not he has pancreatitis, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm at a loss of what to do. Right now I'm just continuing the Mirataz & the Cerenia. I think he needs a dose increase to 2 units??He's been on the 1.75 for 7 or 8 cycles. https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...ose-increase-food-switch.264440/#post-2962696

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

They didn't run a snapfPl? Theres no way that one should be $400...neither should the specfPl...

I don't know of any way to diagnose pancreatitis other that the fPl tests, maybe someone else will.

The possible fur shot would technically restart the clock...why do you think it was a furshot?

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  3. Chrispooky12

Nope they said it would be over $400 to do 1 of those tests. His fur was not wet after the shot but I always pet over the area that I shoot & I could smell the insulin on my hand & it has happened more than once. I've been leaving the needle in a bit longer(per the vets suggestion) & that seems to work.

4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ok. If you smelled insulin then I would say the cycle count resets, unless you're seeing issues with ketones.

Nothing about his labs jump out at me, kidney stuff still trending a smidge high, but I'm not the best at reading labs. It would help if you could color code the out of range values for people to see at a glance.

What are all his current symptoms?

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  5. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Your labs said pancreatitis was unlikely

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  6. Chrispooky12

Ok so I should stay with the current dose then. I checked for ketones about a week ago & they were negative. His symptoms are refusing to eat unless he has Mirataz on his ear even then I sometimes have to put fortiflora on it. He hasn't gotten sick but he's been on Cerenia. He's drinking a little, but not much which is unusual for him because he never drinks water. Sometimes when he trys to poop nothing comes out or a very small turd, but he has a healthy bowel movement not long after the mirilax daily. Other than that he is acting normal. He's been a bit of a brat for testing. He gets up there & waits when I tell him let's test but when I go to poke him it's all claws on me, then when I go to put the meter with the strip up to his ear, he trys to knock it out of my hand.

7. Suzanne & Darcy

I’m copying my reply in the email with labs over here to your thread :

Oh my! That’s the worst thing I’ve ever heard. That’s highway robbery to charge over $400. I’m absolutely sure they have another panel that costs less! Anyway, I’m sorry about that. I didn’t even see an SDMA number on there (which is a kidney function test.)

The only thing I see on there is that his BUN and Creatinine are elevated, which looks like early stage kidney disease. Did the vet talk about this? I would definitely keep trying to get them to eat Weruva or other lower phosphorus food. At some point you will need to give him sub-q fluids but don’t need to start that until his Creatinine is consistently above 3.5 to 4.0. So at that point you will have to figure out a way to do it (maybe with help). The lower phosphorus food will help to extend the life of his kidneys. Expect him to drink more water and have larger pee balls in the litter box – maybe he’s not at that point yet though.

I feel sad about this, but I do know that a lot of cats can stay in the early stage for a long time without much change. I also know that cats can live a long time with the proper diet and getting fluids, which make them feel a whole lot better. When you get to the point of doing fluids, which hopefully will be a long time, make sure to have his heart checked out to make sure it’s safe for him to receive fluids. But, as I said, you’re not there yet! Anything else I can do?

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  8. Chrispooky12

Yes I saw that, so I guess we can rule that out. I believe it said that on his March bloodwork as well.

9. Chrispooky12

Yes I saw that & I am going to try some organix, but I'm not so sure about the ingredients in it. I wish I could put pics on here but it won't let me. If Panzer would just eat weruva it would make things so much simpler.

10. Suzanne & Darcy

Precision PSL was 21 and labs note says pancreatitis unlikely. Now, cats haven’t read the manual on pancreatitis so you can treat the symptoms. You’ve already been doing this to some extent with Cerenia and pain medication - but you said he’s too hard to give fluids to. And vet won’t prescribe Ondansetron.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  11. Suzanne & Darcy

As to calcium, his calcium is on the higher end of north but it is still within normal limits.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  12. Chrispooky12

Yes I've been treating it like pancreatitis. He won't prescribe Ondansetron & Panzer did okay with fluids at the vet but I think it was because he didn't feel good. I may be able to try at home with my ex roommate helping me which he said he would, but I don't think he's dehydrated. I put 2 tablespoons of water or chicken broth in there food everytime I feed them.

13. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. Just keep adding water to his food.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  14. Suzanne & Darcy

I’ll talk to you more tomorrow. It’s midnight here and I’ve been sick today. Slept a lot today. I hope tom will be a better day.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  15. Chrispooky12

Okay it's the same time here. As soon these boys are finished eating I'm going to bed too. I hope you feel better :bighug:

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  16. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

17. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Where are you seeing this? I see the notes at the bottom but wasn't sure which labs it was associated with. And I'm not seeing a PSL anywhere but it can be a pain to read on my phone.

Also thinking of you, I might be a few days off though :bighug:

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  18. Chrispooky12

I sent it to her email address :cat:

19. Chrispooky12

Panzer & Spook just ate a half & half mix of FF & weruva. Everything crossed that I get Panzer to change his picky little mind:smuggrin: