05/30 new member

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Becky77, May 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becky77

Becky77 New Member

Just found out today my almost 4 year old is diabetic and I’m very overwhelmed. It’s a lot of information and I’ve already spent almost $500 getting to this conclusion alone. Rehoming has come across my mind but makes me sad. Please help

2. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

I am new member too. I hope other people will come and give you good advice.

3. Dusty & Roe

Dusty & Roe Member

Becky it is Overwhelming and so much to process . I first started fearing giving shots but the needle is so tiny I started becoming really good at it . What has your mind going in so many directions ?

4. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Hi Becky,

Yup... we love our fur critters that's for sure. You are at the best place to learn about feline diabetes and get support.

There will be lots of information and a steep learning curve, but you aren't expected to learn it all at once. We've all begun at the very beginning with the deer in the headlight look. FD is very manageable - the most expensive thing I have found now is the price of the testing strips. I use Freestyle Lite and buy most of my strips off of ebay, so it's not expensive. You don't need a special animal glucose meter - most of us on here use the human meters (for the past 30 years, vets did not have animal meters anyways). Depending on where you live, a lot of members use Walmart's Relion meter as their strips are inexpensive.

There are some things that you can get set up, so you can start tracking data: your signature line and your spreadsheet.

SS (spreadsheet instructions) http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Signature line instructions: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/creating-a-fdmb-profile.159626/

If you need help, just post for help and someone can guide you along.

What kind of insulin and how much are you giving?
    What kind of food are you feeding?

5. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Becky and welcome!

What a cute baby!! :cat:

how can we help you feel less overwhelmed? Please ask as many questions as you need because we have all probably been through all the emotions you’re going through right now. Let us help you please :)

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to the best darn place to learn everything you need to know about feline diabetes! Theres a wealth of information here and good people to help you decipher it all.
    You have found a safe place to land and learn WELCOME!
    jeanne

7. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

We've all been there, and some days I still am. It gets better, but you're in the right place. I probably could have saved a few hundred by finding this forum first!

The injections and testing really aren't that bad after a few days, my cat is a scaredy-cat rescue so I was really worried, but he's been a champ!

Rehoming also crossed my mind (after cleaning cat pee out of carpets for the 1,000th time), but it's usually fleeting when I feel overwhelmed. Why has it crossed yours? Do you doubt your ability to manage it? Cost?

8. Becky77

Becky77 New Member

I’m not so overwhelmed with the diabetes anymore. I got my insulin coming from Marks, my supplies from Walmart . I did have to fill the script for the pen while waiting for online delivery. Home testing and giving shots doing ok. My biggest issue is she isn’t eating well. I have her on a appetite stimulus. I can’t afford to many more trips to find out the problem there. She was on antibiotics last week for enzymes in her liver if I remember correctly. She isn’t a fan of pate. Right now I’m giving her whatever she will eat. Turns out it’s usually anything with gravy. However she is barely eating a full can of FF

9. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you tried sprinkling something like Parmesan cheese on top? I get Zoe to eat sometimes with Fortiflora. I dont know if either will work if a kitty is just not feeling well enough to eat.
    Good thing is, there will be many more replies on this subject. All of us have had this problem at one point or another.;)
    j
    And youre right, eating is more important at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.