05/04 Benny AMPS 514 +2 HI + 3 487 +4 472 +7 486 +9 478 PMPS 454

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ben&Squirrel, May 4, 2022.

1. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

His body has gotten used to higher numbers and hence the bouncing from lower numbers. Give him time to get used to lower numbers.
    Since you are using the Libre, is TR something you'd consider? You can keep at a dose that helps him stay in normal numbers for longer.
    (I might have asked this before so apologize if I am hounding you about it!)

3. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

You have not asked me before! I am considering it but am not 100% sure what all the differences are. I'm a nervous shooter but Benny needs whatever is best for him.

4. Bandit's Mom

SLGS: You hold a dose for 7 days (unless a reduction is earned). You decrease the dose when the BG falls below 90 mg/dl (on a human meter). The aim of this protocol is to keep the cat in the 90-150 range. This is more suited for caregivers who can't test as much as TR requires. You do a weekly curve with SLGS and get spot checks whenever possible.

TR is a more aggressive protocol with increases as often as every 3-5 days. Reductions are earned when the BG falls below 50 mg/dl (on a human meter). The aim is to keep the cat in the range of 50-100 (which is the normal BG range for cats). To follow TR, you would need to get at least one more test per cycle in addition to the pre-shot one i.e. 2 tests per cycle or 4 tests per day. You would also need to be feeding only LC canned food and no dry food.

TR allows the cat to spend more time in the normal range which is also when the pancreas get an opportunity to heal. Lower numbers can be scary when you first encounter them and you are not the first person who has been nervous to shoot low. We have all been there. With time you get the confidence to shoot lower. You are testing enough for TR.

5. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

Can MC food be eaten? Squirrel has kidney disease. While she should be eating low-protein food, sometimes she won't eat if separate from Benny. She gets very suspicious about my motives. So eating MC would probably happen sometimes. He does eat LC food readily, especially in the mornings.

Also, would this have implications for my having to be away from him for 2 weeks this summer? The catsitters may not be able to monitor him as closely. If he is not better than he is now, I won't go, though.

6. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

@Bandit's Mom I'm sorry, I reread yout post and realized you did say it was only LC canned food. If some MC canned food would be included sometimes in addition to the LC, would it be possible to still do TR?

7. Bandit's Mom

What stage CKD is Squirrel at? Low protein diet used to be recommended for cats with kidney disease but newer research shows that it's much more important to restrict phosphorus and that restricting protein at low levels of CKD just leads to muscle wasting.

To the extent possible, try and keep Ben from the MC. The carbs would cause his BG to increase so you want him to eat only low carb food.

No it does not. You would give a lower "vacation" dose when you are away. Even cargivers who follow TR do so.

TR requires that you feed canned and no dry food. For diabetic cats, you want to keep them on a low carb diet - irrespective of which dosing protocol you follow.

8. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

Thank you so much, @Bandit's Mom you've answered so many questions and I think I will go on TR. Squirrel is in Stage 3, but I'll find a way to manage them both. Thanks again.

Bandit's Mom likes this.