04/30 Sugar AMPS 336, +5 300, +7 258, +9 204

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by sugarmo, Apr 30, 2024.

1. sugarmo

sugarmo New Member

Hi everyone, first time poster, but have lurked for a while now. I read through the guidelines but I'm sure I made a few mistakes, my genuine apologies.

The last 5 months has been really tough. Sugar was diagnosed with diabetes in early Dec 2023, which we found when we brought him to the ER to get treated for (what we learned was) DKA. He was started at 3u 2x daily of Lantus and up until today was at 5u 2x daily. I just started him this morning at 6u because I wasn't getting super great BG readings. He's also started to develop neuropathy in his hind legs (which is so hard to see, poor guy, he's still able to jump a bit and walking wobbly), so I've started giving him Zobaline 2x daily, which I know won't help until his blood glucose is well regulated, but it can't hurt to start it now.

I'm having a hard time getting his BG down. He eats mostly wet food (Fancy Feast) with a tiny bit of dry food in the mornings and evenings (Instinct grain-free brand). His levels seems to float around the 300s (lately in the mid-300s, and sometimes barely under 300). I'm willing to do anything to prevent his neuropathy from getting worse, but I'm not sure what a stable BG level is that will prevent further degradation. The 6 units seems to be working decently well, but obviously it's too early to tell as it was his first dose of it this morning.

He's going to get a check-up tomorrow for his diabetes, but I wanted to ask (see: beg) for some opinions on here as well. I'm desperate to get his BG regulated because if his hind legs quit working altogether I'll be completely devastated. He's otherwise a very happy, wonderful cat with a sweet personality.

Any thoughts, advice, or support would be super appreciated. My sincere thanks!