04/27 Eddie AMPS 283 +8 311 PMPS 346 +8 380

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jodey&Eddie&Blue, Apr 27, 2024.

1. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Jodey&Eddie&Blue Well-Known Member

Good morning,

Here is yesterday's stormy day:

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/04-26-eddie-amps-211-7-295-pmps-346-8-385.289289/

Guessing yesterday's Mirtazapine helped. I was anticipating another towel-bundling session this morning but he's decided eating is ok. I'm sure his teeth feel like hell. I also gave him a Cerenia just in case we had stomach upset/pancreas action. Made him a fresh smoothie and if I look around the table I can see he's nearly finished his breakfast. Phew.

And, we're in the yellow zone so if we go down, good. If not, I'm less tired and can continue...

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Have you been giving him ondansetron too? Just to make sure it's not tummy nausea.

I hated the food wars.:arghh:

3. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Haven't tried the ondansetron yet but I'll ask vet to prescribe, thanks. Good to have on hand, to be sure. I've let him coast all day just to make friends again after the Syringe Wars. It's awful when we have to get into that. :arghh:

4. Wendy&Neko

I was lucky in that often a syringe or two would be enough to settle Neko's tummy and she'd eat after that on her own.

Jodey&Eddie&Blue likes this.
  5. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

that's so interesting. When I have to syringe feed, I usually give Eddie about 5-6 small syringes and that seems to jump start eating at times. We'll see how tonight goes.

6. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

I’ve had to “prime the pump” by syringe feeding as well with some of my crew. It usually helped to have Ondansetron (or even famotodine) on board first.

I've been thinking of you two and am still following along quietly. If you haven’t done it recently, I’d also get a resting respiration rate for good measure. :bighug:

Jodey&Eddie&Blue likes this.
  7. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Thanks, JL. I get the resp rate in the morning. In the meantime, could you and/or @Wendy&Neko say something about Ondansetron vs/or in addition Cerenia? Just a cursory glance online says (variously) "Side effects are uncommon. Rare side effects may include constipation, sleepiness, or head shaking. Rare but serious side effects include abnormal heart rhythms and low blood pressure, which may cause fainting/collapse or severe lethargy."

8. Wendy&Neko

In my experience, ondansetron works better to tackle nausea than Cerenia does. Cerenia is great for vomiting. They target different nausea receptors, you can give both, as I did to Neko. Cerenia is once a day, ondansetron up to 3-4 times a day cause it doesn't last as long. Constipation is the most common side effect.