04/22 Puddin AMPS 320, +2.5 391, PMPS 329, +2.5 438

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bella & Puddin, Apr 22, 2024.

1. Bella & Puddin

Bella & Puddin Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/04-21-puddin-amps-289.289041/#post-3172290

@Wendy&Neko in response to your response to me yesterday...
    Yes, my vet is "of a certain age".
    I'm amazed to hear of a regulated cat that was at 80u! I'm understanding more and more the concept of ECID; and that proves it further.
    I wonder if remission is the goal of vets who hold to the 200-300 range for diabetic cats, or if the goal is simply to get the cat to a more comfortable level.

I fixed my signature date...I guess I was living in the future :facepalm:. Thank you for finding that!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
    Wendy&Neko likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

My vet, also of a certain age, was relieved I wanted to treat instead of PTS when she gave me the diabetes diagnosis. They have to balance that some caregivers don't want to be "bothered" by the work it takes to get a cat into remission. One of my first vet visits after the diagnosis, she had a poster on a wall from someone with a diabetic cat that want to find a new home for it, because the diabetes diagnosis was interfering for their desire to travel. :banghead: I was also on a email thread from some local rescues who were trying to save a diabetic kitty (gorgeous long haired black and white girl - looked a lot like my girl). This kitty had been dumped at a vet for PTS because the SPCA who had her didn't want to bother finding her a home.:(

This is my long winded way of saying that many vets are happy with 200-300, given the alternative. Remission is a bonus. Not all caregivers are as dedicated as the wonderful people here.

Staci & Ivy and Bella & Puddin like this.
  3. Bella & Puddin

Bella & Puddin Member

Yes, that all makes sense to me now. And I'm truly amazed and grateful, as you mentioned, to the wonderful caregivers in this forum and those that provide advice and teach (like you!).

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  4. Staci & Ivy

Staci & Ivy Well-Known Member

So so sad and tragic :(