04/22 Eddie AMPS 385 +7 342 PMPS 337 +8 310

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jodey&Eddie&Blue, Apr 22, 2024.

1. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Jodey&Eddie&Blue Well-Known Member

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Do you see any clinical signs of acromegaly, any changes in normal Eddie, physical or behavioural? There's also the IAA factor, which is why I keep asking about pulse dosing of AB's or the dental.

3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

4. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Do you really think his BG/insulin dose is associated with IAA and not acromegaly? In other words, can IAA exist without acromegaly??

When you say clinical signs of acromegaly, what do you have in mind? Eddie's weight is one thing as is his slightly snoring breathing at times, although no heart murmur has been detected in two separate appointments. He is not dull nor is he lethargic but he doesn't really move around much with the exception of walking to the kittybox or going at times to the living room from the dining room where his bed is located. For all I know, this is IAA.
    I can't do anything about the dental until such time as appointments can be scheduled and I mentioned the vet who was so great working with Eddie has moved to another clinic and I know it will be hard to get back on the pulse for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the freedom to prescribe AB, which she took more liberally than is usually the case.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

We have no clue what is causing the need for higher doses. It is all just guesses as Eddie isn't talking. But bad teeth and IAA have meant higher doses with previous cats. It is not something to be ruled out. I know you can't do anything about it right now, other than possibly keep up with pulse dosing of ABs. Acro growth is also a possibility, but we don't know which it is without more information. And it doesn't really matter, because the result would be the same - increase the dose when needed.

There are many signs of acro, and it varies by cat. Is his weight increasing? Is his snoring new or the same? Any separation between his teeth or is that changing. Any signs of arthritis or soft tissue growth? The not walking much could be arthritis - have you talked to the vet about that possibility? Once Neko got some relief from arthritis she became more interactive and playful. The vet could feel her bony growth, and even could I. :( The heart is not the only organ that grows. A year ago he was down to 10 units. Are there any physical changes since then? Significant changes in blood work since then?

An interesting exercise a couple of us with acros did was side by side photos of before and after. See the side by side of punkin in post 9 of this post. I would show you Neko's, but people guess wrong which was before and which was after. :p Meaning, she didn't have those type of changes. Her worse signs was the arthritis.

6. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

As I said above, his weight is about the same as it's been for a long time (11kg/20#). His snoring is totally random and hasn't really changed much. You'll recall he had that issue with wound dehiscence following his hypophysectomy and that has always affected his breathing sounds. At times, for example, he "snorts" as if he has sleep apnea. His teeth are, well, just bad. He's on Gabapentin 3xdaily but I could look into something for arthritis. What did you use? I could also get another blood panel done and see what can be gleaned.

Anyway, here we are at six cylces of 21u and wondering if I should increase again.