04/12 Pookie AMPS 144 +2 115 +4 72 +7 74 PMPS 77

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Pookie kyle/Dalton, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Pookie kyle/Dalton

Pookie kyle/Dalton Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...amps-283-3-59-4-67-5-72-8-101-pmps-86.245991/

good morning everyone !! pookie was mostly stable yesterday and surfed the blues!! but what we are on the last 100 of his test strips and i called the site we use to order online and they are totally out of stock for weeks of the test strips we use :((((( is there any recommendations on what to do ? i think we are going to have to buy a new meter for the time being as the vrabo strips are quite cheap $40 something for 100 compared to $80 for most others, we use diabetic express.ca I'm not sure we can make the strips he has now last until they possibly restock, which could be far away still!! on the plus side i found out i can order insulin for $70 for a 10ml vial of Lantus from them so will be getting more from them as well if i need to order a new meter

2. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Oh darn. You may want to check out what options walmart has for test strips? Maybe they have something more in the $40/100 strips range.
    Keep in mind with the insulin that, once opened, a vial of insulin (or a cartridge) is only going to be good for six months at the most, provided it is stored in the fridge. With a 10mL vial, you will end up having to throw it out long before you use up all of the insulin for Pookie, unless his insulin needs go waaay up.
    If you can save up some extra money and purchase the 5 insulin cartridges, (3mL per cartridge) off DBX for $112.99, it will work out to be cheaper for you in the end vs a 10mL vial, because you will be able to use up each of the insulin cartridges to the last drop. Just something for you to consider.

Nice drop from AMPS to +2. I'd keep my eyes on Pookie and get more tests in. He could get up to some shenanigans today:cool::D

Pookie kyle/Dalton likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Pookie is looking good. I started out with a vial and was able to use it until the last drop. I did switch to pens after the first vial. They are easier to deal with and if you break one, you still have more insulin. I'm not sure what meters are available in Canada. Maybe put meter ? in your subject line.

4. Pookie kyle/Dalton

i w
    saw those and was debating about getting them!! i didn't know that insulin expires 6 months after opened!! next time he needs some ill get the 5 pack of 3Ml we are only just barely even half done the vial we got when we got him !!! I'm going to look around online today for test strips and another spare backup meter, hoping we have enough strips until bravo is re stocked but I have no idea how long that could be!! also I got a +4 and another drop but into the greens!! i fed him a bit of LC about 30 mins ago ill get him again in an hour and see how he is then

5. Pookie kyle/Dalton

thank you !! he has been doing really well the past 2 weeks mostly blue and greens with the occasional jump here and there and I added it to my subject thanks

6. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

HI! don't throw that vial of insulin out just yet.... I think having smaller vials insure you don't contaminate large amounts and have to waste it. But I *think* that as long as vial looks clear with no contamination you can keep using?

@tiffmaxee
    @Wendy&Neko

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I bought a vial once, then went to cartridges, which I found much more convenient. Plus if you drop one, you still have the other 4 in the package. We have heard of someone using a vial for 7 months, not much longer than that.

The Freestyle meter needs a small blood drop, but there are a couple others that do too. At least in BC, many pharmacies will throw in the meter for free when you buy 100 test strips. I started with the Freestyle and got the meter free. I just checked out the Onetouch Verio (also small blood drop needed) and online they say there is a free meter for 100 strips offer. So check the manufacturers website on any meter you are thinking of. Just call the new meter your backup one - always good to have a second meter around for emergencies anyway. And check out eBay to see if there are cheap test strips for sale - I've seen a few people have success there.

8. Pookie kyle/Dalton

Thank you so much this is immensely helpful !!! I'll try the cartridges or buying a pack of 5, 4ml vials !! The Costco here sells the cartridge ones in pens for a decent price! But If anything the one touch verio we will get as it's in diabetics express and is free when you buy 100 strips!! That should do us over until they have more of our current meter tests strips back in stock!

9. Wendy&Neko

Ask around for costs of insulin. At the time I was checking, the 5 pack of cartridges was a bit cheaper than the pens. Pens just has more "stuff" you don't need. The cartridge is like pen refill.

10. Pookie kyle/Dalton

ok so pookies been in the green for most of the day , he is at 77 should I try reducing his dose ? back to 1.50

11. Pookie kyle/Dalton

ok im going to try reducing back to 1.50 tonight and see how he does, he's been doing really good the last week and I don't want to chance him going to low later in the night, going to fed a small spoon of higher carb on top his regular LC food for his PM shot, I think he will be ok with it but ill keep a close eye tonight and get some tests

12. Pookie kyle/Dalton

I know he might not have earned it in earnest but I'm just doing what I think is best !! If I have to I'll put him back to 1.75 but I think he will be ok being reduced now

13. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

He didn’t earn a reduction. He would earn it by falling under 50.

14. Pookie kyle/Dalton

Ok I just was unsure at the time , I'll put him back up in the AM shot or tell Dalton to if he does

15. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Reading your SS...if those lower numbers make you uncomfortable, you can always switch to SLGS. Or even a modified SLGS where you reduce say under 70 instead of under 90.

16. Wendy&Neko

The down side to moving to SLGS is that you have to wait longer for increases. But you have to do whatever the two of you are comfortable with, and time and data will help you get there.